Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2014, 10:01:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319144 Posts in 13033 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  RPGFan Gaming Journal: The Road to Infinity
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 111 Print
Author Topic: RPGFan Gaming Journal: The Road to Infinity  (Read 138109 times)
Losfer
Bearded Scumlord

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: February 03, 2008, 10:21:51 AM »

Well, the only FF I really gave a toss about /before/ IX was VI, so...

Obviously the track record for Final Fantasy isn't so great.  Probably half the games released are any good.  If even that many...  :P

dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: February 03, 2008, 11:02:31 AM »

Played Skies of Arcadia Legends for a little while.

Code:
Got Fina's ship back, watched Crescent Isle get destroyed, and watched by party get owned by Ramirez.

His S. Move he used against me looked pretty awesome though.

--Edit--

Played some Persona 3 as well. Beat the bosses on floor 180 in Tartarus and opened the portal on floor 190.
Wilsongt

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: February 03, 2008, 07:06:33 PM »

About to fly off to the Plasma Bell in Ar Tonelico. Just a few more areas to go.

I've also been playing around with various versions of Pokemon. Because Misty's Starmie is a total bitch and I don't have any Electric/Grass Pokemon, I've been stuck on that for a couple of nights in Fire Red. Also got the first badge in Pokemon Pearl. I would still be playing Diamond, but I put it down for a few months after I beat the E4 and I've completely forgotten exactly what I was trying to accomplish with all of the breeding I was doing. Thus the reason why I started with a clean slate with Pearl.
Alucard von Elru

alucardvonelru@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: February 03, 2008, 07:36:45 PM »

I just finished Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath. My god... What an unexpectedly powerful experience. It's no wonder the game didn't sell, as I honestly wouldn't know how the hell you advertise this kind of a game. It doesn't fit neatly into any one style of play, and the game's storyline itself is comprised of two very different arcs, the second arc taking the player to places and making them feel emotions they never would have expected.

I found the first half of the game to be appropriately mysterious and compelling, but the nature of catching bounty after bounty did end up growing a bit repetitive. It's a testament to the game's wonderful pacing, then, that as soon as it becomes repetitive everything changes. The story just turns everything you thought you knew totally upside-down, and it all just left me breathless.

In short, this story was powerfully written and affecting, and it's genuinely important. It handles important, real themes like unchecked corporate power, over hunting and exctinction, and racism in a mature (and not even remotely preachy) manner.

Overall, Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath is one of the finest games I've ever experienced. Even if you HATED the other three games in the series, you'd undoubtedly find something to love in Stranger. It is radically different from the rest of the series, and from most of what the industry puts out in general. Absolutely beautiful, powerful, and a genuine surprise!

"Time fades even legend..."
Jet16

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: February 03, 2008, 09:54:56 PM »

I've really wanted to play that game, but I stupidly sold my Xbox when I got the 360, and the only Oddworld game that plays on the 360 is Munch's Oddysee. Hmm, guess I just hope and wait since Stranger's Wrath has been on my list for a while now.
Willy Elektrix
Lord of the Sword

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: February 03, 2008, 10:22:21 PM »

I beat FFT yesterday. At the end, my main character was a Geomancer/Chemist with dual wield and I had 2 Samurai/Dragoons, a Time Mage/Black Mage, and a White Mage/Arithmetician. I expected a pretty intense showdown with the final boss but I completely destroyed him with a hasted White Mage doing holy to him really fast and just laying on the melee attacks. Oh, and usually I don't give a shit about cut scenes and story, but I actually sort of got into the epic feel of the game - even though the plot seemed like convoluted mess. All in all, it was a good time.

Now I'm playing Ys: Ark of Napishtim until Dungeon Explorer comes out for PSP. So far I'm really enjoying it. It's been a long time since I've played a real traditional RPG like this with towns to wander around.

Alucard von Elru

alucardvonelru@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: February 03, 2008, 11:03:41 PM »

Quote from: "Jet16"
I've really wanted to play that game, but I stupidly sold my Xbox when I got the 360, and the only Oddworld game that plays on the 360 is Munch's Oddysee. Hmm, guess I just hope and wait since Stranger's Wrath has been on my list for a while now.

Ah crap! :P lol Yeah, 360 backwards compatibility is just... "something else." Honestly, if you can come up with the cash, I'd reccomend just re-purchasing an original Xbox and the game (the game itself can be bought brand new off of Amazon for about $10). The chances of it ever being BC are very slim, and even then you have to wonder if it will actually ever RUN! Like with the European Panzer Dragoon Orta; it crashes after Episode 3 (out of TEN), and they've never fixed the problem. :/

EDIT: Judging by your avie, I'd wager you as something of a Legacy of Kain fan? Most of the second half of Stranger gives me a very strong Soul Reaver 2 vibe, aesthetically speaking. SR2 is my favorite of the bunch, so I enjoyed the atmospheric similarities! :D

"Time fades even legend..."
Alexander
Easy Bake Covenant

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: February 04, 2008, 01:17:54 AM »

Took a little break from Twilight Princess over the weekend since a buddy was over.  We popped our Virtual Console cherries and I downloaded Gunstar Heroes and LoZ: Link to the Past.

Holy moly!  I had forgotten about how crazy Gunstar Heroes is on the difficulty end!  I think I've gone soft since my old school days.  I think it might be less hard solo because I kept on getting tangled up on the screen with the second player.

This was my first  real playing of Link to the Past and I was totally floored how the game is so addictive.  My buddy had fallen asleep and I played through the game the beginning up to first entry into the Dark World after beating Agahnim. I'm looking forward to giving this one some serious attention when I feel completely satisfied with Twilight Princess.

Behold, the greatest taco in the history of the world! http://tacostothelimit.ytmnd.com/
[Previously known as Miilou Suede]
acornthief.tumblr.com
Losfer
Bearded Scumlord

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: February 04, 2008, 02:33:02 AM »

Played more FFXII.  Did a loooooooooooot of hunts.  Up to rank V ones now.  Ashe and Penello are both up to, like, 2000 HP.  The liscene board isn't as difficult as I thought it would be.  You gain plenty LP to throw on whatever you need to...

Curious as to whose intentions lie where since
Code:
Vossler stabbed us in the back.  Not sure if I trust Vayne's little brother or Balthier either.  I mean, Balthier is too suave for his own good, so...  We'll see.

Also of note, I played some Ghost Squad for the Wii the other day as well and fuck, that is some addictive gaming.  The kind of shootan I like.  It seems as long as a shooter is on rails, it has a much higher level of being good than a free roaming FPS like Halo or Quake.

Good good times.  Now if Sega could continue making games as good as that.  Looking forward to the rereleases of the House of the Dead games, cause I never got to play them previously.

dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: February 04, 2008, 07:08:43 AM »

Played a little Skies of Arcadia Legends since we have a school delay. Went to the Silver Shrine and watched the events that ensued.
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: February 04, 2008, 09:31:29 AM »

I picked up Samurai Warriors 2 Empires over the weekend.  I thought the strategy aspect would spice things up a bit, but now I think I'd rather have the pure action. :P

Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 04, 2008, 09:51:05 AM »

I've been dividing my gaming time between Pursuit Force 2 (on PSP) and the Mythos beta.  Both are lots of fun, but one requires an internet connection and one doesn't...

Pursuit Force is pretty similar to the first, but some things that sucked in the first have been greatly improved.  Motorcycles are actually drivable now, there are more checkpoints in missions (and you can restart from the last checkpoint if you want).  The thing that I love the most, though, is that restarting a level is instantaneous.  You say "restart" or "start from last checkpoint" and it dose.  No loading!  Awesome.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
sandiny0ursh0es

sandiny0ursh0es
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #102 on: February 04, 2008, 01:01:44 PM »

Made a lot of progress in Jeanne D'Arc and am at the battle with the (first?) wraith. It took me a little too long to figure out I was supposed to open the doors and get to that room, so I couldn't beat the stage in 20 turns and have to do it all over again. Slightly irritated, but I'll re-try today or tomorrow.

Also bought No More Heroes and am somewhat turned off by the GTA-ness of it, but the action is pretty fun, and I'm liking the style/humor of the game.

Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #103 on: February 04, 2008, 04:20:57 PM »

I'm Trying to finish Portal lately and I think I only have a couple of levels left.  Also starting to get into Zelda TP.  Working on the Forest Temple with my monkey posse.

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 04, 2008, 04:48:35 PM »

Quote from: "sandiny0ursh0es"
Also bought No More Heroes and am somewhat turned off by the GTA-ness of it, but the action is pretty fun, and I'm liking the style/humor of the game.

Keep in mind that Santa Destroy is really more or less a glorified hub or level select - it more or less has levels unlike a proper sandbox game where the whole world is a single stage you do everything in.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 111 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: