Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 27, 2014, 03:13:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329726 Posts in 13515 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  RPGFan Gaming Journal: The Road to Infinity
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 111 Print
Author Topic: RPGFan Gaming Journal: The Road to Infinity  (Read 142087 times)
Willy Elektrix
Lord of the Sword

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #195 on: February 17, 2008, 11:04:52 AM »

Quote from: "Eusis"
I didn't care for the story but neither did I really hate the exposition. I suppose they were just satisfactory breathers before I got to the awesome action, plus I kinda did play XS2 prior, so in comparison it was an old Mario platformer.

Yeah, that's kind of how I viewed it at first. I was like, "You know, I suppose I'll appreciate the dungeons more if I'm not in one all the time." but, the exposition kept getting longer and longer and then I kind of figured (after I had to run all the way back from the Dungeon of Amnesia) that the designers were just padding out the length to keep the game from being ridiculously short. Bogus.

In any case, right now I'm playing Orcs and Elves which is quite the opposite. There is no padding out the length on that game, and as a result its one of the most tightly designed and fun games I've played in a while. Oh, and it has superbly designed dungeon layouts with lots of interesting traps and encounters.
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #196 on: February 17, 2008, 11:51:43 AM »

Just started Ar Tonelico.

Game has some serious polish issues, stuttering when loading, constant loading for each voice clip, voice overs that die half way through the sentence.

Art style is awesome, but the game does seem like it's going to be extremely easy, but fun I hope!
Wilsongt

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #197 on: February 17, 2008, 02:19:39 PM »

Quote from: "daschrier"

Game has some serious polish issues, stuttering when loading, constant loading for each voice clip, voice overs that die half way through the sentence.

Art style is awesome, but the game does seem like it's going to be extremely easy, but fun I hope!

Very easy game, but the characters are great as well as the music. I don't remember a lot of technical issues when I played it, though...
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #198 on: February 17, 2008, 03:41:08 PM »

Quote from: "Wilsongt"
Quote from: "daschrier"

Very easy game, but the characters are great as well as the music. I don't remember a lot of technical issues when I played it, though...

Just seems to stutter and skip a lot when loading voices and around the world map etc.
Lord Scottish

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #199 on: February 17, 2008, 09:38:04 PM »

Started up DQ7. I've made a promise to myself that I'll commit to games more from now on, so I'm starting with one of the longest console RPGs ever made. :P
Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #200 on: February 17, 2008, 09:39:47 PM »

Well, Mario Galaxy is still on the shelf. I bought Phantom Hourglass yesterday...and it is on the shelf as well. I just realized I've only played through Wind Waker once, and that was almost five years ago! Thought I'd better refresh myself and play Wind Waker again. Just finished the Forest Dungeon.
Losfer
Bearded Scumlord

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #201 on: February 17, 2008, 10:24:06 PM »

Quote from: "Eusis"
Christ, then you're just ridiculously unlucky, but at least it seems there's a functional solution in the end.

Yeah!

Anyway, played lots of FFXII over the past two days inbetween bouts of random Godhand and my wife playing Dragon Quest VIII.  Anyway, I got to some cave (accurate description) and was promptly splattered by some group of unique mandragoras.

Levelled up.

Crushed them.

Honestly, I have most of my license board filled up.  Anyway, almost at Archadia.  Should be fun to see what's going on in this thread.

Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #202 on: February 18, 2008, 11:44:10 AM »

Well i'm sucking ass on DMC4 for some reason and i'm even using'automatic' mode.  I might start over on the easier difficulty since i'm only on mission 6.  Also starting to enjoy Burnout Paradise a lot more and fiddling around with Mario Galaxy as well.  I pretty much wasted my whole weekend gaming...:\

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #203 on: February 18, 2008, 12:09:08 PM »

Since my last post...

Persona 3, I'm in early December and watched the events of the full moon, and the anime cutscene was awesome, though poorly animated compared to anime standards today.
Code:
Learned all about Ryoji and him being part of the main character and learned about Nyx.

In Chrono Trigger,
Code:
got the dreamstone from Ayla and went back to Medina village and got the Masamune fixed.

Nearing the end of Skies of Arcadia Legends, as I just...
Code:
kicked Galcian's ass...in the ship battle. I lost the first time, because I was too agressive, but I won the second time. I'm about to fight him head-on, but I'm just leveling up a little bit, mainly so I can start out with more SP in battle, as I only start with 11 in a round, and I'm shooting for 15 so I can use Pirate's Wrath and Gunslinger every other round.
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #204 on: February 18, 2008, 12:50:42 PM »

Playing Syphon Filter (the newer one) on my PSP.  Tazing guys isn't as fun now that they just smoke instead of catching fire (fire was just over the top and funny, smoke is not over the top, so not funny).  Almost as fun as the first game, but I'm not loving the underwater stuff, because I tend to hide behind things, peek out, headshot, hide again.  Can't do that while swimming.

Spent my weekend playing solo tour on Rock Band - drums on medium.  That freaking Green Grass song!  It killed me 96% of the way through the song.  Most songs, I try to get 5 stars.  That song, I'll satisfy for finishing.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #205 on: February 18, 2008, 01:34:05 PM »

Back into gaming in a big way, after a few months of kind of indifferently hopping from one game to the other. Absolutely loving Lost Odyssey, best RPG I've played since Tales of the Abyss. The dialog is top tier, the characters are really unique, and the writing in the Thousand Years of Dreams sequences are powerful and dramatic. It's no breeze either, I've died several times on boss battles.

I guess my only gripe about the battle system is that it doesn't show the cue while you're selecting actions, which is very disconcerting. So you find yourself having to guess on what you already have seen during the battle.

No gripes about the rest of the gameplay, the graphics, or even load times, as critics were panning. This game is as close to perfect as I've seen in a long time. I'm currently finishing up the sneeking mission inside the prison. This was a great change of pace, and the camera system is almost identical to Metal Gear Solid, which helps.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #206 on: February 18, 2008, 06:48:08 PM »

Just beat Skies of Arcadia Legends. Took 2 hours for three bosses and the ending. I used Prophecy a lot, and I had 50-99 of some of the healing items, so I knew I'd win as long as the game didn't have a disc read error, (which it did when I tried beating it an hour earlier.) Only had to worry about that because the used copy I got was in terrible condition.
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #207 on: February 18, 2008, 07:10:40 PM »

Dude, that's too bad. Skies is one of my favorite games, congrats on finishing it. That happen to me with Majora's Mask GC at one point. I finally was able to wash the disc and get the crud out (it wasn't so much scratched as just a bit gunked up... used copy). Glad that it seemed to work the second time through.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
everluck

stay positive!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #208 on: February 18, 2008, 07:17:22 PM »

In the third dungeon in Minish Cap.

I like the music and gameplay a lot, but it hasn't wowed me the same way most other Zeldas do. Story seems sort of blah and there isn't real pressing urgency to Link's quest. Vaati just seems like a weak antagonist.

[/url]
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #209 on: February 18, 2008, 07:19:17 PM »

Yeah, I bought a disc scratch remover from Gamestop, and the stuff works well on games with hardly any scratches (fixed up my TotA copy well, which just had some scratches since my PS3 abuses PS2 games), but the scratches were too deep.

Yeah, it's one of my favorite games now too, though it's probably my third favoite on the GC after ToS and Fire Emblem: PoR. My only two beefs with the game is the slow speed of the ship battles
Code:
The fight with Zelos took me a frickin' hour
and the fact that it looks like a Nintendo 64 game.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 111 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: