Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2014, 12:47:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334642 Posts in 13706 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  RPGFan Gaming Journal: The Road to Infinity
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 111 Print
Author Topic: RPGFan Gaming Journal: The Road to Infinity  (Read 142891 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: February 26, 2008, 02:27:06 AM »

Quote from: "everluck"
I've been looking for cool indie games lately. You guys have any suggestions? Free ones would be nice, but don't limit suggestions to that.

Would this count? Not like it'd last you long, but this one of the best examples of video games as art. Also, there's this 1up feature.
Willy Elektrix
Lord of the Sword

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #256 on: February 26, 2008, 09:04:59 AM »

So, Iíve now put more sufficient time into Dungeon Explorer PSP. Itís pretty retarded until you can really figure out the structure of the game, and then it becomes a lot more interesting. First off, there is a class system where you can gain class rank, change classes, and also unlock advanced classes. There are a good variety of classes, although, I wish there were more difference in the play styles between them (basically they seem to effect what attributes raise when you level, weapons you can use, and what spell-like abilities you get). You can also level up your abilities with different types of weapons and unlock new techniques through that (and the variety of weapons is pretty cool, crossbows, throwing axes, claws, etc.) Finally, you can also level up your character through experience points and raise your statistics that way. All in all, character customization isnít bad.

Now hereís where it gets kind of cool. There are 9 (I think) dungeons, each with 9 separate sections that you unlock via collecting gems and purchasing access to them. Section 1 has 1 level before you reach the boss, Section 2 has 2 levels, but they go up exponentially from there. Section 9 has 99 levels. Meaning, to reach the final boss of every dungeon youíll have to play through over 1000 dungeon levels. Cool.
everluck

stay positive!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #257 on: February 26, 2008, 12:30:31 PM »

I've played through Passage a few times. That feature was helpful though. Thanks, Eusis.

[/url]
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #258 on: February 26, 2008, 01:37:26 PM »

School got canceled, so I got some gaming in today.

Played some DDS, and
Code:
had to kill Jinana's bitch ass.
I've been surprised by the difficulty(or required grinding,) but I must have been spoiled by P3.

Started up FFX, and I already hate Tidus. Just got to Kilika or whatever it is.
Losfer
The Pope

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #259 on: February 26, 2008, 07:10:13 PM »

Phantom Hourglass -- Got to the Phantom Ship.

Riviera -- Got to chapter four.

Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #260 on: February 27, 2008, 12:57:53 AM »

I have six shards of the Triforce in Wind Waker. Good lord I love the Savage Labyrinth. In fact, I like this one better than the one in Twilight Princess, and I like that one a lot. Two more charts and two more shards and I'll be all set for the last dungeon.

Funny that money hasn't been an issue whatsoever for me this time around. I haven't even tried and I have more than enough to cover all of Tingle's damn expensive deciphering fees.
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #261 on: February 27, 2008, 12:10:42 PM »

I never finished WW but did get to the end game. I would say that WW felt more like an epic Zelda adventure, where TP felt more like the Zelda formula being used to create a more story driven adventure. Everything felt tacked for the sake of being a Zelda game.
sandiny0ursh0es

sandiny0ursh0es
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #262 on: February 27, 2008, 01:57:36 PM »

KOOLAH LIMPAHHHHH

I really should continue my TP game. I think I last saved at the Zora Lake or something.

Just beat the main storyline in FFT: War of the Lions. I missed a couple of the new sidequests:
Code:
recruiting Balthier and Agrias' birthday
buuuut I'm kinda over it and want to play other games now.

Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #263 on: February 27, 2008, 09:53:40 PM »

I missed the second of those too, Sand.  Screwed up and dismissed someone I was supposed to hang onto.  Oh, well.  I felt the same way when I got to the end.  Great game, but there are so many great ones that it's tough to spend the time playing through more than once.

I rented Metal Gear Acid and Killzone Liberation this week.  Didn't finish Syphon Filter yet, but was in a bad mood and wanted to try something new.  I tried to like Metal Gear Acid, but couldn't, so I dropped it.  I'm liking Killzone quite a bit so far, but I'm only a few missions in.

And because I just can't stop the overload, I bought Patapon tonight.  Haven't started it yet, but a rhythm action strategy rpg... it seems weirdly up my alley, and it was only $20 brand new.

Man.  Where would I be without my PSP?  (Probably playing Professor Layton on my DS.)

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
óKurt Vonnegut
Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #264 on: February 27, 2008, 10:42:06 PM »

Quote from: "daschrier"
I never finished WW but did get to the end game. I would say that WW felt more like an epic Zelda adventure, where TP felt more like the Zelda formula being used to create a more story driven adventure. Everything felt tacked for the sake of being a Zelda game.

I agree. It really looks like Nintendo was really pushing the Zelda series into new territory with Wind Waker, but Twilight Princess felt more like an updated Ocarina of Time. But yea, now that I've played Wind Waker again (just finished it today), I have to say that Twilight Princess did have more story, and I was surprised because I seem to remember Wind Waker having more than it does. What is there is really good, but there isn't much.

But yea, finished it today. The ending is superb, but I'm a little miffed because I heard some guys talking about Phantom Hourglass at school today and I was pretty well spoiled as far as its plot goes.

Code:
If I understood them, then it sounds like Phantom Hourglass is a side story that has a lot in common with Link's Awakening. I want to know what the "seeds of the future" are that the King hints at in the end of Wind Waker! Not another screwball dream!
Sketch
Sam I Am

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #265 on: February 27, 2008, 10:54:23 PM »

I finally found a Wii just in time for Brawl (which I also reserved). I've been tinkering around with the Mii Channel thingy and made a few characters on that before moving on toward Wii Sports. The novelty of it has already worn off, so I reaaaally can't stand the wait for Brawl any longer.
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #266 on: February 27, 2008, 11:07:47 PM »

Le sigh...

Suikoden 5 ending spoilers...

Code:
been playing it.  I stopped right at where you're in that elf town chasing the bad guys who have the sun rune.  I haven't touched it much lately since I had the ending spoiled that Lyon died and it just kind of sucked my desire to finish it.

I was reading the 27 true runes FAQ on wiki and found out that Lyon gets revived.. man that would have been a crazy surprise if i actually pushed to finish the game.  Does that only happen if you recruit all the stars?  or does it happen no matter what?

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #267 on: February 28, 2008, 02:42:43 AM »

... Ok, I think Lost Odyssey's just poorly balanced now. I fight a boss, have Cooke use a skill to boost her spell casting speed, cast Zephyr (Party healing spell) the next round, but she still goes last, getting killed. After a few rounds I decide to try to revive her, planning to have the slowest character use a healing item on her, and a faster one use a revival, but friendly modern design blows up in my face in that I'm not allowed to select her for a healing item, so instead I try to use the slowest character to use the item in the hopes that he'd revive her after the enemy attacks. He uses it before the boss attacks, and the attack wipes both of them out, never giving me a chance to heal her.

I should note that for anyone wondering, it handles turns in the same fashion as DQ or the first three FFs, everyone puts in their command then it's acted out. I think what ultimately damns the balance for me is the speed of healing spells, I suppose it's meant to balance between casting magic that takes awhile, or using items immediately, but when I can boost up speed and still go dead last then they fucked up in my eyes, now I'm glad that the game apparently gets stupidly easy.

By the way, the point I'm at is
Code:
the fight to free Mack from possession by the Crimson Forest.
DPB

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #268 on: February 28, 2008, 07:03:37 AM »

Re: Akanbe, Suikoden 5 spoilers.

Code:
You do have to recruit all the stars to revive her.

I'm some way into Persona 2 now, and it seems surprisingly not that difficult for a SMT-related game. It still has some very frustrating moments though, whoever came up with the Hula of Misfortune spell deserves to be fired - it halves all your money and there's no way of blocking or dodging it. I lost at least half an hour of progress since I don't want to carry on with 250000 less makka.
Alucard von Elru

alucardvonelru@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #269 on: February 28, 2008, 09:44:59 AM »

@Eus: Shit... I didn't have any trouble with that fight, so I'm trying to think of ways to help you...
Code:
I started off by having Jansen buff the party with All-Barricade and All-Shield, and that really does help decrease the enemy's damage output. I focused purely on the one tentacle until Mack fell out (Having Kaim and Seth attack it constantly, while the mages blasted it with Flare spells), and then nuked the rest with Prism spells from my mages while having Kaim and Seth go ballistic on whatever tentacles were around until they died. In the second phase of the battle, I just had everyone Guard Heal except for Cooke, who used Zephyr at the end of every round. After putting Mack to sleep to allow you to target the Miasma itself, I just had Kaim and Seth go nuts on it while using the mages as back-up. Before I knew it, the battle was over.

The main skills I had were... Stand-By, Guard Heal, Lvl. 2 Black-White Magic, Weapon Guard 2, and Relax (for Seth and Kaim). I had Jansen with Guard Heal and I believe Cooke with the accessory that gave her Lvl. 2 Black-White Magic so that she could be an offensive beast when needed.

If none of this helps you, I apologise. All I can really do is relay my own experience with the boss. :/

"Time fades even legend..."
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 111 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: