Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2014, 12:14:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334816 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  RPGFan Gaming Journal: The Road to Infinity
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 111 Print
Author Topic: RPGFan Gaming Journal: The Road to Infinity  (Read 143039 times)
Sketch
Sam I Am

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #570 on: April 11, 2008, 12:21:19 AM »

I decided to start up Mana Khemia today. I'm only, like, three hours in, so I can't really make any concrete judgements, but so far, it isn't all that great. The graphics are nifty, and the alchemy aspects are as addicting as ever, but everything else is sort of blah. No comment on the characters or the story, since they are more or less nonexistent at this point.

Except for Flay. Flay is a horrible character.
Superflat
Podcast Mom

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #571 on: April 11, 2008, 12:27:03 AM »

I've been playing a bit of Brawl over the past couple of days with my friends, and I've found out that Peach is pretty fucking awesome. I can now play a good game with almost every character (Ness, Olimar, Game and Watch, and Wario are some exceptions) and my main is Toon Link.

Nothing new in No More Heroes since last post.

WoW: Level 19 Belf Warlock.
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #572 on: April 11, 2008, 12:44:35 AM »

Quote from: "Blace"
Just got Assassin's Creed for my 360 and finished the first two assassinations. I love it so far, but it might start getting repetitive eventually (like all the negative reviewers said).

I rented it last week and I felt that way too.  I didn't feel it got repetitive until about... the fourth assassination.  The battles started to get on my nerves too after awhile until I learned a creative gameplay mechanic.  Instead of doing reversal hits with your sword, hold down the right trigger and switch to the hidden blade.  You cannot block or parry attacks with the hidden blade, but every counter attack is a guaranteed kill.  I found combat a lot less annoying once I found this out.

I'm curious how the sequels will play since many felt the first game was too repetitive.  I can't imagine sales would be as good as the first game if it is just more of the same game even though it's probable that it might take place
Code:
in Japan

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #573 on: April 11, 2008, 12:56:14 AM »

Quote from: "Sketch"
More Smash Bros Brawl for me, nothing new and exciting, really. I've been working my butt off trying to get all of the stickers, but man, it's waaaay too much of a hassle. The whole Sticker Factory strategy hasn't been doing too much for me.

For some reason, it worked A LOT better for me when I actually had another person playing with me. We worked through it for two hours and now I'm only about 20 shy of having all of them. Oh, and Donkey Kong is the shit for collecting stickers and CDs from the Sandbags.

Yea, so that's what I've been doing in Brawl too. I also have all of the songs except for the one that is unlocked after 50 hours of Brawls.

Not much else really.
Sketch
Sam I Am

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #574 on: April 11, 2008, 01:06:47 AM »

Quote from: "Jimmy"
For some reason, it worked A LOT better for me when I actually had another person playing with me. We worked through it for two hours and now I'm only about 20 shy of having all of them. Oh, and Donkey Kong is the shit for collecting stickers and CDs from the Sandbags.

Yea, so that's what I've been doing in Brawl too. I also have all of the songs except for the one that is unlocked after 50 hours of Brawls.

Another person, eh? Something tells me none of my friends will be willing to melt away an hour doing nothing but holding the control stick down and mashing the attack button, but it's good to know nonetheless. Thanks for the tip!

That final song is well worth the wait. If you don't know what it is already, then you're in for one heck of a treat.
everluck

stay positive!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #575 on: April 11, 2008, 04:34:20 AM »

MGS 2:

I'm not really sure what's going on with the end (I'm assuming) of this game. Some of it seems like laziness on the writer's part, and some of it is just awesome.

Code:
Laughed out loud when Snake said "infinite ammo" and pointed at his bandana. That was brilliant. The lead up to the fight with the Metal Gear Rays, however, was a huge let down. From interesting locations with a decent amount of freedom to four or five identical looking corridors waving around a clunky sword was disappointing. I turned off the PS2 during the boss fight, the army of Rays, after killing four and realizing beating twenty five of those things was going to take forever.

I like the gameplay more than the original game, but as a whole the experience feels a lot less focused. Some sequences were incredible, but it wasn't as constantly engaging as MGS 1. Lots of downtime, lots of backtracking and killing the same guys over and over. Story and pacing were both uneven and sketchy, which surprised me because the first game was so polished in both regards.

I'm not sure why the critics were so in love with this one when it was released. But then, I'm not quite finished with it yet.

[/url]
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #576 on: April 11, 2008, 04:37:42 AM »

Probably coming off of the hype, and the rest of the game prior's definitely great. MGS2 is one of those games I really need to replay, but it will have to wait for whenever I get the Essentials collection.
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #577 on: April 11, 2008, 09:49:49 AM »

I saw at the store yesterday that God of War 2 dropped to $20. Took a good bit of will power not to buy it. I already have too many games in the que. I'm sure I'll pick it up soon, regardless.

I've been playing some more Tales of the Abyss. It just keeps getting better as it goes along. I am now in Akzeriuth about to go into the mine. As annoying as Luke is, I am feeling his frustration. I want to know what the hell is going on, too!
I wish healing items didn't cost so damn much in this game. Plus, I'm wondering when Tear or Natalia will get some kind of life spell.  I really could have used it during the last boss fight.
I've mostly been button-mashing my way through battles, and I'm thinking this might not get me through future boss battles.  I haven't really tried to figure out all the goofy systems this game wants me to use(nor do I want to).

Playing: TWD Season 2, Alan Wake
Reading: Mistborn #2 by Brandon Sanderson
Alucard von Elru

alucardvonelru@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #578 on: April 11, 2008, 12:04:38 PM »

@everluck: You've pretty much reached the moments that "define" the MGS2 experience for a lot of people. The game has its strengths and weaknesses up to that point, but it is the moments that you are at that split the game up between people who love what happens, and people who think it's the most retarded plot ever. In other words, if you think you've seen some crazy shit now, your brain is probably going to explode. And yeah, I can see what you're talking about with the gameplay. MGS2 has some wonky pacing issues, but overall I found it too fun to be much bothered. :P

Actually, all of MGS2's fucked-uppery is something I really love about it. Unlike many people, I don't think it really goes against the original all that much. No MGS' plot is something I would call the epitome of sophistication (although 1 and 3 show much more reserve than 2). All of them, even the first one, can be downright silly. However, they thoroughly entertain me and their plots can be quite moving when they want to be. I think it's a nice balance of the touching and the ridiculous, and it's something that really gives all three of the main games their personality, thus far.

In many ways, I am in full agreement with Tim Rogers' views on how MGS2 and Earthbound are fine examples of post-modernism in games, and I think they accomplish similar things. Here's a link: http://www.largeprimenumbers.com/article.php?sid=mother2 It's a critique on Earthbound, but he pretty much constantly references MGS2 and Kojima throughout the thing. A nice read for fans of either.

Just out of curiousity, have any Metal Gear fans here played Zone of the Enders: The 2nd Runner (ANUBIS: Zone of the Enders in Japan)? I really love MGS, but I still have to say that ZOE2 is by far my favourite thing to ever come out of KojiPro. In my opinion, it's the craziest and most amazing action game ever created! It takes the aspects of MGS that I've long loved, and puts them to good use in a completely new gameplay setup. Although, I really didn't like the first ZOE (it very much feels like a "test run" for the second game), so if you have an interest, I reccomend skipping right ahead to ZOE2.

Anyway, yeah, as for me: still Okami. I've gotten a couple of new abilities, so I've just been wandering around uncovering some secrets with them. I haven't had much of a chance this week to make any real progress since my last post.

"Time fades even legend..."
sandiny0ursh0es

sandiny0ursh0es
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #579 on: April 11, 2008, 01:34:30 PM »

Crisis Core:

Code:
Just reached the Mako 5 Reactor.

I'm just trying to make more progress doing missions and leveling up Zack/my materia at this point since the enemies I'm facing in the main storyline take out so much HP per hit, it's ridiculous. Currently @ 6% and 7 hours in wtf. -_-

Superflat
Podcast Mom

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #580 on: April 11, 2008, 07:38:16 PM »

Rank 6 in No More Heroes is complete. There was a definite pang of remorse when I beat #6, particularly due to Travis's reaction.

On the PC front, I've been having particular trouble reinstalling Company of Heroes after I purchased the Opposing Fronts expansion. Kind of annoying since I really want to play the games. UPDATE: There is an issue with the installer detecting a previous installation, so I'll probably have to wait until I reformat or get a new computer. I've also been having a lot of computer issues in general, with one of my fans not working, the head-phone jack refusing to function, and the power adapter not working 75% of the time.

I should be receiving Burnout Paradise from GameFly in a couple of days, as well as World in Conflict from Amazon (which, if you are interested, is available for under $20 and is ranked 7th for PC RTS games on GameRankings).

Nothing new for WoW since the last post. But I'm really enjoying the game, more than I ever have before.
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #581 on: April 12, 2008, 01:09:34 AM »

Just beat Ridley in Super Metroid (yes, I'm slow, but I work like 60 hours a week and there's playoff hockey on!) and pondering whether to hunt around for extra missiles/tanks/bombs, or to just go to Tourian.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
everluck

stay positive!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #582 on: April 12, 2008, 03:25:00 AM »

Finished MGS2 at 12 hours. By the very end a few things made a little bit more sense, but the last few hours were over the top even by MGS standards. Some parts of it just irked me, like the story was trying too hard to be twisty.

Playing MGS 3: Subsistence now. Curious as to why Metal Gear 1 and 2 aren't in the special menu, as I've read they were on the disc several places online.

Alucard: never played ZoE 2, since the first one was a big disappointment for me. It was really really short and really really easy. I bought it for $50, beat it in an afternoon, and returned it to Gamestop the same day. I've heard the second one was a better game, but the first game was sort of "meh" for me, so I've never been interested.

[/url]
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #583 on: April 12, 2008, 03:35:02 AM »

Quote from: "everluck"
Playing MGS 3: Subsistence now. Curious as to why Metal Gear 1 and 2 aren't in the special menu, as I've read they were on the disc several places online.

Either the people writing those were idiots or simply misinformed themselves, or you misread something. Nevertheless, here's how it is: Subsistence came with two discs, the first contained the game and the movie theater to rewatch the cinematics, and the second contained the online component, MG1&2, and other extras. The first disc was left unaltered, and the second disc was left out for whatever reason. My guess: since the online was taken down long before they released this collection they couldn't release the disc with a feature they know doesn't work, and didn't want to take the effort to block it off or flat out remove it, so they simply excised it altogether.

The JAPANESE collection not only has it, but it also has MGS:PO, Metal Gear Saga, and the Document of MGS2. They definitely got the better collection, but at least all of that has come out in America in some form or another.
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #584 on: April 12, 2008, 04:34:54 PM »

Finally finished Okami:P  It's definitely in my top 10 favorites of all time.

Also got around to picking up R6: Vegas 2. Great game but I think i'll finish the campaign before going online.

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 111 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: