Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 18, 2014, 01:58:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331590 Posts in 13576 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  RPGFan Gaming Journal: The Road to Infinity
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 111 Print
Author Topic: RPGFan Gaming Journal: The Road to Infinity  (Read 142419 times)
Lord Scottish

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #645 on: April 21, 2008, 06:20:41 PM »

Hey guys guess what? I bought the GBA version of Doom on a whim even though I've always hated first person shooters!

And guess what else? I'm actually enjoying it. I seem to be one of those people who get motion sickness from it though.
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #646 on: April 21, 2008, 07:29:25 PM »

Quote from: "Blace"
Quote from: "everluck"
Quote from: "Blace"
I finished Assassin's Creed, which is one of the most repetitive games I have ever played in my life. I loved it at the beginning, hated it at the end. I have no clue how the developers let that heppen to the game, did they not play it? Anywho, I am now 4 hours or so into Rondo of Swords. I like it so far, but it is definitely hard at spots (much like Fire Emblem).

I don't understand why people say this. AC had the deepest combat system I've ever seen in a free roaming game. The worlds were huge and it was up to the player to decide what missions they would undertake and what parts of the story they'd uncover.

People say it's repetitive, but it's one of the most constantly engaging games I've ever played. It's like the AC I went through is totally different to the one everyone else has played.

I honestly think that AC is a love it or hate it kind of game. There is no in-between to be found. I thought the combat system was anything BUT engaging. Waiting for a guard to attack you so you can counter is very boring, and this happens alot because you are constantly attacked by multiple guards making it impossible to melee attack without getting ripped apart.

I fully agree with you Blace, about the whole thing.

I'm curious how they will make the second and third game since this is a major complaint that i'm sure they will attempt to address.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #647 on: April 21, 2008, 07:41:34 PM »

It is going to be hard for them to come back with a system that works when they thought the original one worked well. I hope they fix it because of the complaining by people (including me), but they also might rush it and keep it the same because there were also people that liked it alot. I hope that won't be the case.

Willy Elektrix
Lord of the Sword

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #648 on: April 21, 2008, 09:04:54 PM »

Quote from: "Tooker"
Alternating between two games that hate me, but want me to love them: Monster Hunter Freedom and the new Pokemon Mystery Dungeon. :)  When I need a break from that, still playing the Mythos beta.

Yeah, Monster Hunter Freedom is a bitter. hateful game. I try to love it. I'm like, "Hunting dinosaurs across a huge wilderness domain sounds great!" but then it's frustrating and totally unrewarding. Trust me, I love a hard game, but this just baffles me because I can't figure what I'm supposed to do to get better at it. However, in theory, it sounds like the coolest game ever made.
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #649 on: April 21, 2008, 09:10:47 PM »

Well, the Japanese definately can't get enough of the Monster Hunter games.
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #650 on: April 21, 2008, 09:16:51 PM »

I believe the key is to play with others.  Play by yourself, and there's too much going on.  Play with friends, and you can cooperate to take down the baddies together.

(At least that's my guess... I haven't played with anyone.)

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Masamune

XzMaSaMuNezX
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #651 on: April 22, 2008, 01:29:37 AM »

In the final dungeon of DDS2.  Well I'm glad the SMT series finally has a last dungeon that isn't a large tower, this location is quite unique.  I'm really liking it.  I'm hoping the storyline of this 2 part series gets wrapped up nicely, but I don't have much faith that it will.  Either way, it's been fun playing Nocturne and DDS1 and 2.  Persona 3 FES is up next, which is funny since P3 was my first SMT game.  I wonder how much my opinion of P3 will be affected having played Nocturne and DDS now?

Losfer
Bearded Scumlord

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #652 on: April 22, 2008, 03:18:12 AM »

FFT -- Still grinding on Mandalia Plains.  On my way to a couple Onion Knights.

Tomorrow -- FES.  FUCK.

Well, if EB calls me.  :(

D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #653 on: April 22, 2008, 07:12:44 PM »

Since my copy of FES has apparently been back ordered, I felt the need to play something short to pass the time till it gets here.  I found the perfect candidate while out shopping:  Portal.  Unlike the rest of the world, I haven't played it before.

I'll be brief:  I think it's phenomenal.  Unless something drastic occurs later on, this is easily gonna become one of my all-time favorites.

Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #654 on: April 22, 2008, 08:07:48 PM »

Finished Psychonauts. This is the best game I've played in years, though it is on the short side- at some point I might go back and go explore every nook and cranny, but I'm a bit burned out at this point.

The last stage, however, was a fucking nightmare. The last sections of the game are reminiscent of hard old-school games found on the NES- you have to play some parts over and over until you have precision and skill to get through.

...Though, the problem with this is that we're in the 3D era now, and that just doesn't work unless you have the camera pan perfectly into the angle that you need to make a jump or something easy. And like I said before, the camera in this game is sub-par, so it just ends up being frustrating when you do it, and not particularly satisfying when you succeed.

The first section of the stage involved protecting someone, which is fine and dandy, but he flies around the stage and at some point I found it annoying because I had no idea where he flew. If the stage wasn't as linear as it was I would have never beaten it.

Then there is a part where
Code:
Raz battles against his dad in a contest of acrobatics in his mind
which was actually a neat idea- they tried to bring back a lot of the underused platforming elements and made it exciting by giving you a sort of time limit. Most of this section was actually not too bad, there was just one that was so horrendously annoying that I felt like eating my laptop.

What you basically have is a series of nets while a pool of death rises up from underneath you. It wouldn't have been so bad if it was just "scale the net quickly", but they had several nets that were jump-distance apart.

Here's the problem: You can't really jump while holding onto a net, you can only let go. So in order to remedy this, you climb to the top of each individual net, where you jump onto the top of the net- a plank which is like, one fucking inch wide. Now if you haven't missed jumping on that tiny plank and fell to your doom, you now have to jump onto another net, which isn't that hard, but a bunch of the nets also have sections on fire which will burn your ass if you're not careful. They arn't instant death, but goddamn they'll add up. Now that you're on the other net, scale across to the end and what do you find?

Another end. Now you have to try to jump onto the one-inch wide top of THIS net and jump onto the next one. You have to do a series of these, like 5 or 6 of them. I swear to god I had to repeat this section about 30 times before I got it. It wouldn't be so bad if the camera didn't constantly point at Raz's butt, maybe then I could actually see where the hell I'm jumping.

Thankfully pretty much everything after that was easy. The entire game was easy, really- just that one section was brain-numbingly difficult.

....I want a sequel. =P
Losfer
Bearded Scumlord

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #655 on: April 22, 2008, 08:53:29 PM »

Quote from: "D-Rider"
my copy of FES has apparently been back ordered

*ring ring*

Me: Do you guys have my copy of FES yet?

EB: No, we didn't get any copies in.

Me: ...*Click*

Dincrest
A-class rider (in training)
RPGFan Editor

I smile when I climb

View Profile WWW
« Reply #656 on: April 22, 2008, 08:55:37 PM »

My FES is coming in tomorrow afternoon.  No word on The World Ends With You yet.

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #657 on: April 22, 2008, 08:57:23 PM »

Quote from: "Dincrest"
My FES is coming in tomorrow afternoon.  No word on The World Ends With You yet.

Same here.

dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #658 on: April 22, 2008, 09:14:00 PM »

Yeah, I got an automated call from GameStop telling me the game was coming tomorrow.

--

Been all over the place today.

FF XII - Grinding.

Grandia 3 - In Randoto, again. Still loving the battle system.

Disgaea - Grinding anyone who isn't Laharl.

FFT -  Helping out some Mustadio guy.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #659 on: April 22, 2008, 09:17:51 PM »

Quote from: "Losfer"
*ring ring*

Me: Do you guys have my copy of FES yet?

EB: No, we didn't get any copies in.

Me: ...*Click*

... Why do people here of all places keep forgetting that the ship date =/= the day it's in stores? Only big games are shipped ahead of time and have a set street date.
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 111 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: