Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2014, 03:41:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
318867 Posts in 13029 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  RPGFan Gaming Journal: The Road to Infinity
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 111 Print
Author Topic: RPGFan Gaming Journal: The Road to Infinity  (Read 138018 times)
sandiny0ursh0es

sandiny0ursh0es
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #855 on: May 19, 2008, 10:30:02 AM »

I surprised myself this weekend and managed to speed through 7 chapters in La Pucelle: Tactics. I guess I finally reached that point in playing a game where you just start gaining all kinds of momentum. This is the first time I've become engrossed in a Nippon Ichi game. I've tried starting Disgaea twice, and this is my second time starting La Pucelle. I'm having fun this playthrough, glad to say. 25 hours in, Chapter 11. :D

Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #856 on: May 19, 2008, 10:40:56 AM »

Quote from: "dalucifer0"
Disgaea: Hour of Darkness - Just grinding right now, as I couldn't beat chapter 8 because no one could do damage to two of the enemies on the first stage (and I ran out of SP restorative items.)

Did you take out the geo panel thingys?  A quick reminder of the level from a walkthrough made me think that level might be a lot easier if you do.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #857 on: May 19, 2008, 03:27:44 PM »

I never get rid of geo panels unless it makes the game near-impossible. I just figured that I lost because I had no SP restoratives.
Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #858 on: May 19, 2008, 05:07:39 PM »

96 hours into Persona 3 hard mode at only the middle of December.  Hell.  Anyway, the game's getting ridiculously easy at this point, though fusing my favorite persona such that when I have it on I'm only taking damage from two sorts of damage (neither of which is a weakness) and almighty is just slightly overpowered. :p

Anyway, I have to say after finishing up one of the new quest series, it totally made playing the journey 100% worth it, so I can see what Damian was talking about (the spoiler is a major one both in regards to it and the original Persona 3 game's ending so yeah...):

Code:
The final quest in the dating series ended on a totally awesome note, and seeing as how MC's going to kick the bucket at the end anyway, I accepted Elizabeth's request.  Sure she's some sort of weird eternal being and her voice irritated me to the end, but on the other hand I can't help but not care since I'd rather MC died with some sort of positive note, right?  The justification of the quest series was rather predictable.

After a couple of the recent scenes I'm really anticipating a week or two so I can get started on something I think will further justify every single hour I spent playing the journey so far.  And if it's as good as I think it will be, that'll propel the journey to my favorite console RPG ever despite the plot.

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
everluck

stay positive!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #859 on: May 19, 2008, 09:14:20 PM »

47 hours in Okami.

98 stray beads.

Finally got that last sun fragment.

Missing one sparrow and am about 30, 000 yen away from purchasing Brown Rage.

Everything else is totally done. I should be finished by tomorrow night.

[/url]
Alucard von Elru

alucardvonelru@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #860 on: May 20, 2008, 01:17:58 PM »

Nice progress, everluck! o.O Holy hell! lol I think I'm done with my little break from Okami, so I'm going to play some later today. Since you're almost done, I'd just like to know: I've just arrived in
Code:
Sei An City, and it's all dark and cursed and whatnot.
How far along am I? I usually find myself gearing towards shorter games, and Okami definitely isn't short, so I'm just wondering how much more you think I have left?

"Time fades even legend..."
Losfer
Bearded Scumlord

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #861 on: May 20, 2008, 04:37:17 PM »

Street Fighter Alpha Collection got here this morning before work.  Now my thumbs have been hurting all night long.  :P

everluck

stay positive!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #862 on: May 20, 2008, 04:47:57 PM »

Quote from: "Alucard von Elru"
Nice progress, everluck! o.O Holy hell! lol I think I'm done with my little break from Okami, so I'm going to play some later today. Since you're almost done, I'd just like to know: I've just arrived in
Code:
Sei An City, and it's all dark and cursed and whatnot.
How far along am I? I usually find myself gearing towards shorter games, and Okami definitely isn't short, so I'm just wondering how much more you think I have left?

Code:
A little over half way. I'd say 60%? Pretty close to it, either way.

Things start moving quickly after that point, though.

[/url]
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #863 on: May 20, 2008, 07:51:02 PM »

I wub the bargain bin.  Scored The Bouncer for 5 bucks, Killer 7 for 5 bucks, Tekken 4 for 8 bucks, and Romancing SaGa for 10 bucks.  I'm playing The Bouncer right now.  I can see why the game got the negative press that it did and I would have been quite angry had I paid full asking price for it.  But for 5 bucks, the game's really fun.  It has that gritty, urban, semi-futuristic type setting that I wish I could see more often in RPGs, particularly JRPGs.  Tetsuya Nomura's character designs in the game are so wrong they're right.  Bodyguard missions in any video game bite big wind, and I'm in one right now.

I approve of this nonsense!
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #864 on: May 20, 2008, 09:29:55 PM »

FFX - Still stuck in Mt. Gagazet. Thought I had the boss beat, but he wipes out my party when he hardly has any HP left. I think I need Protectga from Yuna, along with Hastega with Tidus. I'm just hoping I'm behind on the sphere grid, because if I'm not, I suck at this game.

FF XII - Still grinding for LP and gil while leveling up everyone. The guys are at 51 and the girls are at 49. I'm planning to beat this game on the weekend after I've bought all the stuff I need.

EDIT: Went ahead and beat FF XII. Good game, just I think I spent half the game just grinding.
everluck

stay positive!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #865 on: May 21, 2008, 02:56:39 AM »

Finished Okami at 100% (minus the fishing) at 51 hours.

Great fucking ending, but the last boss wasn't epic enough for me. The ending cutscenes are really really good, though. Reminds me a lot of Earthbound. And it needs to be said that this is the second game ending to ever make me tear up (MGS3 being the first).

I read online that you could call help in the final battle by drawing certain symbols, so I might try that again in the morning. Didn't realize it my first time through.

Also didn't realize you could counter with a sub-equipped reflector. Didn't know that till I watched through the mystery theatre vids after beating the game. I kept seeing Amaterasu piledriving imps in the vids and thinking "man, too bad they cut that." And then I decided to start a new file to try countering... and damn, I wish I knew that earlier. I only ever used the reflector for projectiles, and always wondered why it didn't work.

Also, Okami has my favorite sound test ever in a game. Would love to buy the soundtrack. All the unlockables were fantastic. Definitely one of my favorite games ever. It has plenty of problems (translation got iffy in parts, camera was a pain, rolling sphere puzzles were awful, and Ammy gets caught on geometry all the time), but the style and charm the whole experience exudes make up for virtually all the flaws. My biggest complaint is that there wasn't more- and when I'm craving that from a 50+ game, I know I've played something special.

I so wish Clover hadn't been canned. They were a truly excellent studio.

I love Okami.

edit:
Two other complaints about the game, and a clarification. Complaint one: no marked lock-on in battle could get to be a pain, when Ammy suddenly turns and starts attacking an enemy that's out of range or less of an immediate threat than one you meant to be attacking.

Complaint two:
Repeated enemies. At least there were some different models, but the basic enemies are continually repeated after they're all introduced 1/5 of the way through the game. This is especially grating when you fight
Code:
Orochi for the third time... or the Spider Queen for the fifth.

Clarification:
By calling the translation iffy, I don't mean it was bad. In fact, I think Okami's script is one of the best in gaming. There were quite a few typos, however; definitely more than I remember from most games. Besides that, there were a few instances where it was unclear which character was being referred to. It seemed like some nuance in meaning was lost as the game was translated.

Here's a question I have:
Code:
I never understood the significance of Shiranui as opposed to Amaterasu. Were they two different beings? Was Shiranui simply the name the Kamiki villagers used to refer to the old Amaterasu? If that's the case, how was Amaterasu "revived"? At the start of the game Issun states that Ammy was ripped apart into the thirteen brush gods after defeating True Orochi. It's just all very confusing, and one of the things I think the translation was unclear on.

Another complaint:
Some awkward hand-holding was really out of place. Things like characters stating very blatantly what brush technique you're to use, when you've been doing said action for hours up to that point. Or arrows appearing to point you in the direction of an objective like four times throughout the game, never for anything really significant. Why have those arrows at all? And if they're there, why aren't they used more often, or more reasonably?

[/url]
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #866 on: May 21, 2008, 10:24:27 AM »

I scored Indigo Prophecy in the bargain bin the other day for $10.  I can't wait to give it a go today, hopefully.  I haven't played it in a couple of years.

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #867 on: May 21, 2008, 11:20:35 AM »

Quote from: "everluck"
Also, Okami has my favorite sound test ever in a game. Would love to buy the soundtrack.

I did, and it was totally worth it. It came in a gorgeous art box set, and the music itself is wonderful for my iPod. In fact I listen to my Okami play list more than I listen to anything.
Alucard von Elru

alucardvonelru@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #868 on: May 21, 2008, 03:16:30 PM »

Nice to hear that the ending had such an impact, everluck! Of both games, actually, since I'm juggling Okami AND MGS3. o.O

Played some Okami today, just uncovering things in Sei-An.
Code:
Need to get that awesome asshole monk his snow rod thing, but I'm out of cash, so I figure while I'm earning the money for that I may as well get enough to get the new weapon from the Sei-An shop as well.

Have I mentioned how annoying I find the digging mini-games? They're well-designed, but they generally just bug the crap out of me. Love the game though. Hopefully I can finish it and MGS3 before the month is out (I doubt it, but I can dream).

"Time fades even legend..."
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #869 on: May 21, 2008, 03:21:34 PM »

Played some Disgaea earlier. Beat stages 8-1 and 8-2, but I quit during 8-3 because I knew I was going to get my ass handed to me. I need better equipment, and more levels I suppose.

Also did a little grinding in Grandia 3, which is quite difficult in disc 2. This game reminds me of Tales of Legendia so much: normal first half, frustrating second half. Money's hard to get too, so trying to get the best equipment I can before I go into Vejas Jungle is going to be a pain in the ass.
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 111 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: