Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 21, 2014, 08:37:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319310 Posts in 13037 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  RPGFan Gaming Journal: The Road to Infinity
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 111 Print
Author Topic: RPGFan Gaming Journal: The Road to Infinity  (Read 138226 times)
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1560 on: August 27, 2008, 12:23:48 AM »

Tales of Vesperia
The Tales games seem to have a knack for starting you off in a forest early in the game.  

[Un]Fortunately, the games battle system works AGAINST abusing free-run by having the character in control run and use a strong hit (bad for combos and enemies can break away from it easy).  The game started pretty tough, but so far its everything I hoped it would be. =)

And rejoice!  The lead female isn't annoying.  Thank god, otherwise I would have had to taken good ol' avy down. =(

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1561 on: August 27, 2008, 01:03:15 AM »

Also have Ys and am in the mines.

No Eusis you are the mines.

FFVII: Beat... some... Jenova thing in place with snowy things and wind. I'm totally convinced ESkill is the best materia in the game, or at least the funnest. Also, I'd like it if transform seemed to work with Add Effect... I read that it did, but I can only get poison to work consistently. Anyone ever tried it? Also, can I get anything decent with morph? I haven't used it much.

---wditf---

Continuing on, did grap in Junon, got airship, and played Ft. Condor for awhile.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1562 on: August 27, 2008, 01:21:06 AM »

I am in the power plant in DDS2, just after
Code:
Serph and Heat vaulted into oblivion

I ran into a goldmine the other day and picked up Colony Wars Red Sun, Chrono Cross and Okage - Shadow King.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Haven

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1563 on: August 27, 2008, 01:46:34 AM »

Quote from: "everluck"
Finished Lost Odyssey. Easy as pie final boss fights. Literally beat the last guy on my first turn.

If nothing else, I enjoyed the ending.

I am right behind you dude. I am wrapping up loose ends and shit, then I go finish this bad boy.

I am going to write a LttP reader review for LO as a practice run and then go and get working on ToV. The wife is interested in co-op, which she could do while playing some WoW. Then it will be reader review number two!

GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1564 on: August 27, 2008, 09:17:33 AM »

TOTA - All sorts of shit going down. I swear I am RIGHT. THERE.
Code:
Goddamn, if this game isn't actually making me get a tad emotional. That scene with Luke at the Tower of Rem when he thought he was going to die. "I don't want to die!" You genuinely FEEL for the guy. Then finding out that Luke IS in fact dying, and the scene between him and tear at the mansion...wow. Why can't more games do this?
Then last night I was back at the absorption Gate. You actually kind of respect Largo, ya know? He is one of the coolest baddies in a long time.
Now I am in the Radiation Gate, and it took quite a force of will to stop playing last night.

Holy shit if this game didn't rope me back in after a bit of a lull. I really cannot think of any game that has ever done CHARACTERS better than this.
I am once again at the point where the thought of finishing the game makes me feel a bit melancholy. I am totally tempted to "go on an appointment" and go home and finish it. lol

Playing: A Link Between Worlds
Reading: Cosmos by Carl Sagan
Haven

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1565 on: August 27, 2008, 04:11:56 PM »

I just got home from class and I dropped the cash on ToV. I have like 10 hours max left in Lost Odyssey, then I will crack this open.

Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1566 on: August 27, 2008, 05:21:42 PM »

Quote from: "GrimReality"
TOTA - All sorts of shit going down. I swear I am RIGHT. THERE. l

Those scenes right there made that my favorite Tales game.  Sure there are pacing issues, but if you buy into a couple of the scenes and the themes there, it's really well done when it is good.

Anyway, no gaming at the moment, but I've discovered that both my laptop and my PSP have issues with the left audio jack for headphones.  Woot. :|  That's going to put some serious dampers on my PC gaming when I have to deal with the crazy family next door.

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1567 on: August 27, 2008, 05:31:58 PM »

Quote from: "Dice"
Tales of Vesperia
The Tales games seem to have a knack for starting you off in a forest early in the game.  

[Un]Fortunately, the games battle system works AGAINST abusing free-run by having the character in control run and use a strong hit (bad for combos and enemies can break away from it easy).  The game started pretty tough, but so far its everything I hoped it would be. =)

And rejoice!  The lead female isn't annoying.  Thank god, otherwise I would have had to taken good ol' avy down. =(

Yup, agreed.  Also thankfully you can switch your buttons around so you don't have to use X as arts like in default.  About 4 hours in, enjoying it a lot.  Some of the dialogue is wacky but hey -- it's a tales game.  I don't think it's going to be better than Symphonia or Abyss, but it's early in the game and I enjoy taking a slightly pessimistic view towards it at start so if it starts to get really good, it's like a pleasant surprise.

Quote from: "dalucifer0"
I bought Disgaea 3. Text is so fucking small, it's not funny. It's like trying to read a book seven feet away from your face. Still in chapter 1, as the intro to this game is longer than the first two.

Are you on a standard definition TV or HDTV?  I didn't pre order Disgaea3 but the guy at gamestop today gave me the soundtrack that came as a preorder bonus when i picked up Vesperia.  Pretty damn cool.  Really thought about purchasing Disgaea 3 today anyway since it would be nice to have a copy when I actually did get a PS3, but since Infinite Undiscovery is coming out soon and it makes more sense to buy a game for a system I already own, I decided against it.  Someday.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
XBL ID: Akanbe
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Twitter@AkanbeRPG
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1568 on: August 27, 2008, 08:04:59 PM »

I have a SDTV. I work a part-time job at minimum wage. It'd take me forever to even afford a low-end HDTV.

Yeah, chapter one was long [compared to the first two games], and they made a lot of changes in the game. You learn skills by buying them with mana instead of just leveling the weapon. The homeroom and club thing is cool, as combo attacks are more likely to happen if characters sit next to each other in class. There are also clubs, in which characters can share abilities if they're next to each other.

An example would be having Mao and a mage next to each other on the battlefield. He can use her magic. Also, I like the magichange system, in which a monster transforms into an uber weapon, but it lasts only two turns, and then that monster is out for the rest of the battle. I'd say it's a last resort thing.

Yeah, the graphics aren't the best thing ever and it seems to be the only reason it's scoring in the 7s. The gameplay is better than the first two so far, the sprites are cleaner and shinier, and the humor is just as good as the previous games.
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1569 on: August 27, 2008, 10:13:47 PM »

Sounds like it'll pretty much be digital crack for anyone who loved the first two.

Sucks about the text being hard to read.  Since Disgaea tends to be a lot about stats and numbers, that sucks ass if its difficult to read the numbers on the stats screen.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
XBL ID: Akanbe
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Twitter@AkanbeRPG
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1570 on: August 27, 2008, 11:02:59 PM »

I got late birthday money today! (Yay!)

So I picked up Parasite Eve (first one) and Final Fantasy Anthology.

Yes, I have never played FF 5 or 6.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Jet16

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1571 on: August 27, 2008, 11:13:53 PM »

Don't worry about it. I've had anthology for 8 years and I haven't played 5 for more than 10 hours.

Anyway, I got Tales of Vesperia. It's a pretty fun game.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1572 on: August 28, 2008, 02:08:24 AM »

Played Quest for Glory 2 some more. Apparently, you have to click the talk icon on yourself sometimes to answer NPCs questions. Anyway, I haven't done a whole lot. New events happen from day to day, so I've been fairly passive. I HAVE been trying to level up my thief skills. Also, doing the Thief Guild Sign is also accomplished with click the talk icon on yourself, so I'll PROBABLY be able to progress, there.

I wonder if I can make out with Rakeesh...

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #1573 on: August 28, 2008, 07:56:39 AM »

Quote from: Ryos
I've discovered that both my laptop and my PSP have issues with the left audio jack for headphones.

Hate to ask the stupid question, but have you considered that it might just be that your left headphone is dead?

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1574 on: August 28, 2008, 08:39:20 AM »

Quote from: Tooker
Quote from: "Ryos"
I've discovered that both my laptop and my PSP have issues with the left audio jack for headphones.

Hate to ask the stupid question, but have you considered that it might just be that your left headphone is dead?

Well, this is kind of out of nowhere, but YES, it just might be! I'll go check it right now!

TOTA:
Code:
Defeated Mohs at the Radiation Gate. It was a quick battle, but he certainly was good at killing random people. Had to use several life bottles(and Tears resurrection), which has not been the norm.
Went through some story sequences, bought all the best stuff for my crew, and am now ready for Eldrant. Should be a good time.

Playing: A Link Between Worlds
Reading: Cosmos by Carl Sagan
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 111 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: