Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2014, 08:34:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338083 Posts in 13842 Topics by 2214 Members
Latest Member: CoreSignal
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  RPGFan Gaming Journal: The Road to Infinity
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 104 105 [106] 107 108 ... 111 Print
Author Topic: RPGFan Gaming Journal: The Road to Infinity  (Read 143527 times)
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1575 on: August 28, 2008, 09:34:28 AM »

You actually are in the home stretch, now. You should be done "soon."

--

Er, chapter 2 in Disgaea 3. I like the Geo Blocks more than the Geo triangular prisms. There were three fricking tutorials on it before I could do chapter 2. I read on a review this game only has eight chapters, but unlike Disgaea 2, these chapters are longer and have more story packed into it. I'm also enjoying using monsters for the first time in Disgaea, mainly because of magichange. I only used a monster at the beginning for Disgaea 2, and used a Dragon and Thursday(who counts as a monster since he can only use monster weapons) in Disgaea 1.
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1576 on: August 28, 2008, 10:17:40 AM »

Quote from: "dalucifer0"
You actually are in the home stretch, now. You should be done "soon."

Quite!  And for a final dungeon, Eldrant is fairly short.

Tales of Vesperia
Got to the Harbor town (just after what the demo leaves you on).
FUCK ME that demo boss is hard.  I spammed Yuri's projectile Arte to hit the boss and the goddamn pollen that KO's him like 5 seconds.
Code:
Just met Flynn, and now the whole "justice" theme is kicking in. I *LOVE* Yuri's Wanted Poster. xD

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1577 on: August 28, 2008, 11:26:44 AM »

I agree the demo boss is very hard.  I attempted him three times and then turned it off for a break.  Glad I'm just playing it on normal.  So far the bosses have been somewhat difficult, which is kinda nice (outside of running out of life potions).

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Losfer
The Pope

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1578 on: August 28, 2008, 04:44:10 PM »

Thankfully, most of the dungeons in TotA are short.

Code:
Anyway, on my way to fight Van at the Absorption Gate.  Everyone's saying THIS IS IT.  THE FINAL BATTLE.  But I know I've got a number of hours left to go.  :P

Adapheon
The original hobo with a shotgun

summersdemise@yahoo.com Kal+Imith
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1579 on: August 28, 2008, 04:49:00 PM »

So I put star ocean for the ps2 in the other day, I haven't played it in over a year and I'm 17 hours in. Turns out I don't remember what I have to do so I thought I'd just restart, now the problem is I remember everything that happens up to that 17 hour point. Something to do with a mine I think. I've been running around randomly but I think I'll have to check a faq out to see what the hell is going on.

Losfer
The Pope

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1580 on: August 28, 2008, 05:01:33 PM »

That mine fucking sucks.  That blasted ride the giant beetle rhino beast thing mandatory mini game is the reason why I stopped playing that fucking game the first time.

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1581 on: August 28, 2008, 05:18:55 PM »

It was the crappy castle dungeon followed by the crappy forest dungeon that killed it for me.

See, this is what's cool about TotA dungeons. I've been playing a lot of PSX-era RPGs with prerendered backgrounds lately -- Chrono Cross and Final Fantasy VII specifically -- and one of the neat things about the dungeons in that style of games is that they're concise, fairly detailed, and rather adventure game like -- puzzles and little things like that. TotA and Symphonia were BOTH in that style. Star Ocean 2 was in that style, obvious. Star Ocean 3, on the other hand, just has huge, endless, empty dungeons made up of nothing but identical looking hallways -- just winding mazes of twisty little passages.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Losfer
The Pope

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1582 on: August 28, 2008, 05:32:36 PM »

Yeah, good eye on that, Mesh.  Bigger doesn't always mean better.  Same thing with dialogue and gameplay.  Some games just had way too much useless dialogue, it's almost like the writer's think they need a million pages of text over 90 hours to explain a character.  But you don't always need that.  I think Mary from Tales of Destiny was one of my favorite characters from that game, just for the fact she didn't have much to say, but when she said something, it was important.  The complete opposite of a character can just...  Bury the character in useless chaff that you don't need to know.  Or is just explained way too much.  Minimalism isn't a bad thing.  :P

Lord Scottish

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1583 on: August 28, 2008, 06:16:42 PM »

Quote from: "Losfer"
That mine fucking sucks.  That blasted ride the giant beetle rhino beast thing mandatory mini game is the reason why I stopped playing that fucking game the first time.

Same here. Between that and the fucking City of White Nights in Radiata Stories, tri-Ace seems to not want people to enjoy their games.

Minimalism isn't a bad thing.

It certainly isn't.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1584 on: August 28, 2008, 06:28:18 PM »

This is why I put ToL down while picking up ToTA despite ToL having more likable (or at least tolerable) characters. The dungeons were just going for too damn long and weren't even INTERESTING. Please only use large areas if you can keep them at least moderately interesting and need them to create a real sense of scale, such as DQVIII. Ironic how SO3 inverts that to a fault for the overworld stuff.
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1585 on: August 28, 2008, 07:40:38 PM »

Bigger doesn't always mean better.

And again I cite Daggerfall as an example. I'm not going to say Morrowind didn't have problems because it did, and I'm not going to say that it had really AMAZING dungeons, but it did have some pretty neat dungeon designs and they were all fairly unique. Daggerfall's dungeons were just huge.

Similarly, Ultima 7's world was actually fairly small. It just SEEMED huge because of detail.

In general, though, I'd prefer detail to bigness. It's great if you can get both, but I mean, what's the point of a world the size of England if it's completely empty?

City of White Nights

... St. Petersburg? Anyway my only problem with Radiata Stories is the same problem I had with Persona: No goddamn save points !@#$ing ever. Except I could play Persona with save states and after that it worked beautifully, whereas I really, really can't do that with Radiata Stories.

such as DQVIII.

DQVIII dungeons had interesting layouts and jillions of tiny medals to find.

I like it when dungeon crawlers do long, mazish dungeons (As previously mentioned, however, I like Persona. But I don't like its dungeons. Note that I said maze-like and not completely random-ass) but that's an entirely different modus operandi or whatever. Tales is not a dungeon crawl. SMT:N is.

Ironic how SO3 inverts that to a fault for the overworld stuff.

SO3 failed completely at giving a sense of scale, though.

o/` I do not dream o/`

sandiny0ursh0es

sandiny0ursh0es
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1586 on: August 28, 2008, 08:02:58 PM »

Almost 200 quests completed and 50+hours in FFTA2. Damn, this game knows how to kill time. My Luso is a Paravir with Pugilism support abilities and Dual Wield. Quite sexy I must say.

everluck

stay positive!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1587 on: August 28, 2008, 08:28:51 PM »

Bought Castle Crashers, and it is very fun.

I wish I had XBL Gold, but the ten bucks I needed for CC is about all I can spare at the moment :(

Single player is fun enough, but I really want to play online.

[/url]
Adapheon
The original hobo with a shotgun

summersdemise@yahoo.com Kal+Imith
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1588 on: August 28, 2008, 09:02:11 PM »

Wow. This combined with everything else said afterwards kinda makes me not want to bother with the game anymore :P

I just don't have many ps2 rpgs left to beat that I own. I really need to get a copy of .hack//gu volume 3

MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1589 on: August 28, 2008, 09:24:23 PM »

This combined with everything else said afterwards kinda makes me not want to bother with the game anymore :P

We could go on, I'm sure. It'd just be hearsay from me though, cause as I said, I quite shortly after you quit.

I think Star Ocean 2 was a really damn awesome game, though. Its dungeons were a LITTLE boring but it did so much cool stuff with relationships and the AI and the skill system.

Quest For Glory 2: Did some thieving. The entire sequence was cool because it took me a couple tries to get it right but the puzzles involved made sense. Like, I figured it out with just experimenting with it. Really great so far. I need to play the rest of this series.

Oh, I caught a chocobo in FFVII and sent it to the stable but apparently it has retardation. Maybe I can feed the tardness out of it.

Oh, and I did some battles in Puzzle Quest. I'm not really in the swing of the game right now. I really, really underestimated how time consuming it is.

FFVII- Did Yuffie's wutai tower thing. I really like this game for some reason. It reminds me of happy rainclouds. and eating grass.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Pages: 1 ... 104 105 [106] 107 108 ... 111 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: