Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 23, 2014, 10:30:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
332042 Posts in 13603 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  RPGFan Gaming Journal: The Road to Infinity
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 109 110 [111] Print
Author Topic: RPGFan Gaming Journal: The Road to Infinity  (Read 142516 times)
Azrael

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1650 on: September 03, 2008, 09:02:02 PM »

Just beat Super Mario Galaxy with 120 Stars as Mario.  Some of those purple coin stars almost made me intentionally toss the controller at something.

Also started Persona 2 and trying to get into it.  It's interesting but I'm not too sure if I'll be able to finish.  Got my ass kicked pretty early, seems like there will be a lot of level grinding and that doesn't appeal to me too much.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1651 on: September 04, 2008, 02:19:41 AM »

I played a bit of Persona 2 recently and I agree that it seems more than a little grindy. The persona summoning/making system doesn't really appeal to me there. I mean, grindy in the sense that you need to get a crapload of cards to make personas. Grinding to level up to beat encounters isn't useful in any way, shape or form. Unless you're grinding to get a high enough level to summon a certain persona or something.

I like Persona 3 a whole lot more all around.

Anyway, played QfG2 for a little bit. STARTING to get the hang of Agi's rope walking thing. More importantly, I beat my first real combat. Just jackalmen, which pose very little threat unless there's a bunch, and I was only facing two. Just combo'd slash and stab attacks without letting them get hits in. It was great. Most fun I've had with an RPG in *years*.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Dincrest
Cleanup Crew
RPGFan Editor

Smile... they'll think you're up to something.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1652 on: September 04, 2008, 08:40:02 AM »

Persona 2 isn't as grindy as you might think.  It's more about what personas you have than levels.  A good set of personas to create combo spells and have appropriate resistances will see you through.  Plus, NEVER use weapons.  They're useless.  I never used weapons; I just upgraded my armor.  Just keep using your personas for everything.  SP will recover as you walk and personas level up through use.  Plus, you can equip new personas up to 5 levels higher than your party's average.  Oh yeah, and forging contracts with monsters will net you insane amounts of cards.  

And I'll tell you, the group contacts for talking with demons only get better as the game progresses.  

I will say, though, that some of the dungeons in the Persona 2 games are quite obnoxious.  Thankfully, there's anywhere saving and warnings when a boss is coming up.

As for what I'm playing, mostly Guilty Gear X2 (PS2), Guilty Gear Judgment (PSP), and a couple of RPGs to review for the 'fan.

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1653 on: September 04, 2008, 11:28:24 AM »

Persona 2 does, by far, have my favorite dialogue system in the entire Megaten over-series. In-depth like the first couple of games, but without the "choices have completely arbitrary consequences and good luck figuring out what the hell you just did."

Uselessness of weapons did kind of bug me a lot though. It's like how your human forms were useless in the DDS games. It sort of diminished the whole "Transform into demons!" thing to something more like "You're the demons and not being a demon is more like a bizarre status ailment." Also, I never was that fond of the "eat demons to gain AP" thing or the skill system as a whole I guess.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Losfer
Bearded Scumlord

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1654 on: September 04, 2008, 11:37:32 AM »

Like LoS, I have also finished Tales of the Abyss.  It was at 5AM this morning and my play time was at 72 hours.  Obvious spoilers ahead:

Code:
The fights with Sync and second form Van were nuts.  I never died once in the game and I did not die against either of these bosses, but I had one Hell of a fight.  Especially when Van ended up killing Luke, Guy, AND Jade.  Tear had her hands full.  :P

Speaking of Tear, the best part is when she told Luke she loved him.  I shat myself.  Seriously, most "romances" in games are almost always incredibly cliched.  Like, as much as I love Shining Force II, when Sarah was upset at the end when Bowie and Elis were going to get married...  I was very confused.  Where was the character growth?

Anyway, the characters in this game, especially Tear and Luke, were amazingly detailed.  Some of the best I have seen in some time.  Even the main core of badguys had some great detail, because they all had reasons for doing what they were doing.

Definitely my favorite Tales game.  And one of the best games I have /ever/ played.

Also, LoS, I'm equally confused at the ending with Luke's "shadow."  :P

Can I have part two now please.  D:

Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1655 on: September 04, 2008, 01:06:02 PM »

At 111 pages, I think we can start again.
Pages: 1 ... 109 110 [111] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: