Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 24, 2014, 11:46:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327380 Posts in 13404 Topics by 2163 Members
Latest Member: KashelGladio
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Physical copy or DL copy?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Physical copy or DL copy?  (Read 1201 times)
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« on: January 22, 2008, 09:31:23 PM »

Was thinking about this with the release of Wild Arms on PSN.

If, as it seems to be, the PSN is going to have DLC featuring old PS1 games, would you be happy to buy them or do you prefer having a physical copy?

If, for example, games like Lunar and/or Suikoden OR previously unreleased games (like Popolocrois) came out for a reasonable price, would you be happy to DL them or do you prefer a physical copy?

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Shiguma
The Saviour of Esteria

LordShiguma
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2008, 09:33:58 PM »

I always prefer physical copies.

Jet16

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2008, 09:35:52 PM »

I'm going half-half on this. It depends on the game, and for Wild Arms 1, I just picked up Alter Code F instead. But I will download the Crash Bandicoots(only the ND developed ones, though) to put them on my PSP. Some other games, like Lunar, I would much rather own the physical copy. I'm just that way, I guess.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2008, 09:59:00 PM »

I agree on half and half, but for different reasons. The download service and what can be done with the software are two important factors. Take Steam and Valve games, you have to sign up for their service and input CD keys, your ownership of the game is going to depend on the Steam servers. Ergo, may as well just buy the downloadable versions, the CD's little more than a convenience. For games without such copy protection schemes and the like, I might prefer a Steam download anyway but if the packagings good it'd be nice to have the retail game. In the case of console titles though, well, in the case of the VC there's only the downloadable games unless you dug up an old system for the originals, and admittedly with some edits and stuff put in that may be preferable in some cases. Plastering Wii and Nintendo DS over Wave Race 64 is fucking retarded, find something else to replace the Kawasaki ads like banners of iconic Nintendo characters. Nevertheless, it is convenient and in the case of system failure Nintendo can transfer your games to a new console.

For XBLA or PSN, again, no choice usually, there's the occasional XBLA unplugged disc from Microsoft but aside from one or two games those don't have the stuff I really want when I want, and in the case of the PSN there's nothing but Warhawk and some PSP games and... Actually, I'd prefer to just get a retail copy of Warhawk. The DRM on the game is really fucking stupid, only the account that bought the game can play it and everyone else has to buy their own. With the retail copy this isn't an issue, so I'd rather have that.

However, how about the scenario where I can redownload games without issue or draconian DRM, or own a copy with no strings attached as is the norm for console games? I'd rather take the physical copy with the downloadable option there should I fail to get the game. It's the big benefit I see for downloading games, that something can be available for forever and not worry about stock and whatnot.
Alucard von Elru

alucardvonelru@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2008, 10:24:30 PM »

I always get physical copies. I'm a collection-whore, and I even go out of my way to import Japanese or European copies of a game if they have better cover art. Stupid? Perhaps, but it's how I operate.

"Time fades even legend..."
Adapheon
The original hobo with a shotgun

summersdemise@yahoo.com Kal+Imith
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2008, 11:43:12 PM »

It really depends on the situation. Seeing as how I just spent over $100 on a new dvd rack which incorporated three others into it and I now have room for 4 more purchases before one of those other three have to make their way into my living room I'm of the mind that downloaded games aren't soo bad. I have HL:E1 as a downloaded purchase (which cost me more than retail so I got ripped) but it isn't too inconvient.

I really wouldn't mind having almost all my purchases setup online as a on-demnad downloadable service and when the internet speeds up to the point that a dvd-9 image can be easily downloaded in the space of 15 minutes if someone threw open such a service I'd likely be in line. I'm tired of needing some much shelf/hard drive space.

For things like music I'm almost against buying cds because I felt as though I was paying people money to take my money which is all sorts of stupid. On the other hand me and my girlfriend just bought her parent's record player and in two weeks I bought almost 20 records which is about 1/3 to 1/4 of all the cds I bought over the last 10 years.

daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2008, 09:34:37 AM »

I'm a collector, I like to accumulate things, no downloads unless necessary.
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2008, 10:11:08 AM »

I'm a physical kinda guy, I guess.  I have downloaded a few CD tracks (legally), but given the choice, I'll take the physical copy almost every time.  Price is really the differentiator for me.  That's just how I roll.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Sketch
Sam I Am
Contributing Editor

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2008, 11:39:47 AM »

Physical copies for me. I love looking at the games that I've collected over the years, so having them saved inside of a system or whatever just wouldn't be the same at all.
Losfer
Bearded Scumlord

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2008, 05:28:41 PM »

I generally prefer physical copies, but sometimes acquiring a complete copy of some of these old games we all love, well, let's just say shelling out $150 for a complete copy of Earthbound or Lufia is not gonna happen anytime soon.  :P

Hint hint, Nintendo.

*Plans on getting SUPER FUCKING METROID for the Wii on payday~*

Dincrest
Onoda
RPGFan Editor

Lieutenant Commander Vacation

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2008, 07:03:49 PM »

I can only speak for music on this.  I like digital downloads because my apartment is tiny and having just my iPod and a docking port as my sound system is a great space saver.  Storing and moving a giant CD collection is a hassle.  

But there is something to be said for physical copies of CDs and better yet LP records (many punk bands are releasing stuff on vinyl these days), especially when there's really great artwork and sleeves.  That's one thing I loved about White Zombie's Astro Creep 2000 album- the booklet had tons of pages of Rob Zombie's artwork and I adore his artwork.  

And since I'm really into local music scenes and if I really like a band I want immediate gratification in the form of a demo, so in that regard I want an actual CD than some code number for a digital download.

I approve of this nonsense!
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2008, 08:29:50 PM »

Depends on the item. CD's I'm fine with just downloading unless it's a limited release. Same with most games. Unless it's an LE or collectors edition, I can't really see the attraction in collecting a bunch of plastic cases. I tend to view that sort of thing as packratism or, in some extreme cases, some hobbyist form of OCD.

On the other hand, things like LPs deserve to be collected considering how gorgeous the art and inserts can be. I also like having physical movies for the most part, though with TV shows I actually prefer digital delivery by far. It's so much easier, especially when I'm in the middle of a project, need to take a break, and don't have my DVDs around or anything. If I can get it off iTunes, I pretty much will.
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2008, 03:30:53 PM »

I prefer physical copies. For example, I like watching anime from a DVD rather than the computer, because with a DVD, I can be lazy and just push play and watch 4-5 episodes straight. On the computer though, you have to open up the file and maximize the screen and change the length of time your computer sits still without the screen saver coming on, and you only watch one episode at a time until you close the media player and open up the next file.
Serene Prophet

sereneprophet@yahoo.com sereneprophet
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2008, 03:00:00 PM »

Give or take.  For most disc related things I prefer the physical copy, as I like to simply pop in the disc and watch the movie, take it with me if I go to a friends without to much hassle, etc.  

PC games are more so a viable digital copy for me, though again I prefer the physical.

Music however I tend to just download the MP3, since its easy to take my player somewhere else and plug in speakers etc to play em.  And it also allows me to download songs where I may like the song but I dont care much for the album, or for example it could be a mix of a song on a movie soundtrack but I dont wanna pay for the rest of the crap.

But for DVDs, Anime, and Console games, I pretty much want the physical copy.  I'm really not that keen on the digital ones, though as the technology improves and as more things become available at decent prices, that may change.  

For me it just kinda depends on a case by case basis.

-Give a man a fire, and hes warm for a day.  Light a man on fire, and hes warm for the rest of his life.-
Gorgon

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2008, 03:47:49 AM »

My room is totally wrapped in videogames and I really love it. That's because to open one of these old videogame big boxes and find a beautiful booklet and CD-Rom (or diskettes) inside is something I just love :)
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: