Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2014, 04:33:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319230 Posts in 13035 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  So what do you do offline?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print
Author Topic: So what do you do offline?  (Read 8621 times)
Masamune

XzMaSaMuNezX
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: January 28, 2008, 01:06:32 PM »

Quote from: "Lard"
I believe Neal is English and Neil is American.

Deja vu or is there an echo in here?

ZE GRAND MASTER

Don't Make Me "Self-Defense" You

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: January 28, 2008, 03:08:28 PM »

I have no idea which is american and which is english, but i've never seen an english person spell their name "Neal". I've only ever seen "Neil" as in Gaiman (and I'm fairly sure he's English).
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: January 28, 2008, 03:20:56 PM »

Quote from: "Dincrest"
Quote from: "ZE GRAND MASTER"

As for all you Neals out there, i think "Neil" is english and "Neal" is american.

I don't think that's the case.  Speaking purely for myself, I was born in Holland and prior to that my parents had only lived in India and England.  It was only after I was born that my family came to the US, so it couldn't have been a US influence that made my parents spell my name with an A.  

In any case, Neil is still the most common spelling, though many Indian children spell it Neel.

Keeping in mind of course that "Neel" in that case is derived from a different word entirely. Either way, there's no regional variant on the name. Neal is as valid as Neil, just one is more common than the other. Similarly someone can spell my name "Marc" if they really want to, but I use "Mark". Either way they're both commonly derived from "Marcus" (though in some cases from the Germanic "Mark"), as Neil and Neal are from the Gaelic "Niall".
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: January 28, 2008, 04:19:17 PM »

I don't post in a whole lot of topics anymore, but I have been around for awhile, so I might as well contribute.
I may be the elder of the group nowadays at 33. Married for 9 years Feb. 27th with a son who will be 7 on Feb. 17th.
I have a degree in Horticulture and work in Landscape Sales.
My #1 hobby/everything is my Cottage Garden. When the weather is nice, I spend almost all my time out there. It is my art and my sanctuary.
Because of the gardening, I started getting into photography. I spend almost as much time taking and playing with pictures as I do tending the subjects. As my garden is quite lush, it attracts all sorts of cool insects and wildlife.  
If anyone is interested, here is a link to my photo album:
http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y258/GardenGuy/

I play games very slowly, and only one at a time(minus the occasional race or puzzle game).
Nowadays , I play games purely for a fun distraction. I don't want hard or complicated. I like games that look nice, sound nice, and are easy to play.  Unfortunately, the gaming world seems to be going in the opposite direction.
I have yet to invest in a next gen console, but I'll probably at least pick up a Wii.

I have always had a passion for reading. I mostly read (GOOD)fantasy, but will give most anything a chance. Like games, I read very slowly. When I only get through a few pages a day, a 4-500 page book can take months to read. Something has to really take hold of me to get through it quicker.

Playing: A Link Between Worlds
Reading: Cosmos by Carl Sagan
rubenxce

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: January 31, 2008, 04:30:38 PM »

Since this board has never had an introduce yourself thread this is as good as any. Also after guessing my password for over 30 minutes I finally get to write this.  

My name is Ruben Montalvo and I'm currently 24 years old.  I live in Guaynabo Puerto Rico.  I graduated collage in June 2007 from Electrical Engineering.  I still do not call myself an engineer even though I would be one by United States standards but not by Puerto Rican standards.  Engineering has two license exams in the United States these exams are not necessary and usually not taken by most graduates  in order to work, (at least the second exam) but they are necessary in Puerto Rico it is required by law.  So after taking a six month break from everything I'm currently studying for my first license exam which takes place on April 11, 2008.

During those 6 months after graduating I did absolutely nothing with my life except go out with my friends to drink and play playstation 3. I finally had enough of that so I'm currently studying every day for a minimum of 6 to 7 hours each day. While I study I'm throwing my resume around to different companies just in case anything drops my way and I get hired.
Talking about jobs on Tuesday I'm flying to the United States for a job Interview in the Baltimore area and coming back home on Thursday.

I also applied to Virginia Tech and the University of Michigan for my master's degree in electrical engineering starting in august in order to keep my options open.

As far as my hobbies are concerned I like to do many different things. I  like to go the gym at least 4 times a week and work out. I love to cook. I read fantasy and history books. I play a lot of pool, tennis and ping pong.       I also love to watch anime. While I go to the gym to lift weights I do cardio at home because doing cardio in the gym is boring. So I watch two episodes (22-24 minutes) of anime every day while I walk on a treadmill.

Finally I love to play videogames. You named it i've played it and finished it. Also I'm a very big sports fan. My favorite team is the Dallas Cowboys and I'm very sad they lost. Having said that I hate Tom Brady so I hope the Giants pull the upset on Sunday.  

So thats about it. I'm currently looking for a job as an engineer and studying for my two license exams.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: February 01, 2008, 03:41:36 AM »

Sometimes, I like to get drunk. Like tonight.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Sketch
Sam I Am
Contributing Editor

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: February 01, 2008, 05:58:48 AM »

Hey, ya'll. My name is Sam, and I'm 18 years old, 19 in March. I was born and raised in Santa Clarita, California, and have only travelled outside of the state three times. I've spent my entire life in the same city, I've spent my entire life in the same house, and I've spent my entire life with the same group of friends, so I'm definitely not one that likes to embrace change. Because of this, I made the decision to spend another few years within the city and go to a local community college to take a good handful of courses before blasting off to a university. I really enjoy writing (although 3:00 am forum posts aren't really my specialty), so I've been taking a lot of English classes in hopes of getting a feel for the field, but I haven't exactly solidified my career decision. A part of me wants to write fantasy novels, which is extremely odd considering I'm not exactly the biggest reader on the block, and another part of me wants to go into journalism and become a writer for a video game magazine of some kind.

I haven't really found a ton of hobbies that've piqued my interest. Video games have always been one of the biggies for me, but it's never gotten to the point where they've melted away my brain, destroyed my social life, or given me carpal tunnel, so they aren't my life blood by any means. I like drawing on the occasion, and as previously mentioned, I love to write. I'm always cooking up storyline ideas in my head, but for some reason I can't really find the time to expand them any further than that. I'm the slowest, most perfection-seeking writer you'll ever meet, and it usually takes me a solid seven hour afternoon to write a paper (this mostly applies to school work), but with the sacrifice of time comes the gain of assurance that writing is the right field for me. I took home perfect scores on my last five papers (which was the entirity of the English class they were for), so I think it's a worthwhile tradeoff. I'm not a huge sports fan, but I really enjoy playing tennis and ultimate frisbee with the gang. I would be the first go to a live game, but watching sports on television is totally out of the question (I've yet to watch a Super Bowl).

Random tidbits? I love Reeses Cups, numbers piss me off, Halloween is the best day of the year, and I'm obsessive about my hair, which is why I hate the wind and can't stand extended periods of time in the rain. :P
Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: February 08, 2008, 05:59:18 PM »

Quote from: "Hidoshi"
Quote from: "Dincrest"
Quote from: "ZE GRAND MASTER"

As for all you Neals out there, i think "Neil" is english and "Neal" is american.

I don't think that's the case.  Speaking purely for myself, I was born in Holland and prior to that my parents had only lived in India and England.  It was only after I was born that my family came to the US, so it couldn't have been a US influence that made my parents spell my name with an A.  

In any case, Neil is still the most common spelling, though many Indian children spell it Neel.

Keeping in mind of course that "Neel" in that case is derived from a different word entirely. Either way, there's no regional variant on the name. Neal is as valid as Neil, just one is more common than the other. Similarly someone can spell my name "Marc" if they really want to, but I use "Mark". Either way they're both commonly derived from "Marcus" (though in some cases from the Germanic "Mark"), as Neil and Neal are from the Gaelic "Niall".

ROFL!

I can't believe I missed this entire conversation, because my last name is spelled "Neel," and my background is very much Irish. It really just comes down to the fact spelling was never standardized for many languages (many still aren't) until the 18th and 19th centuries. Different sets of letters produce the same set of sounds, and it really just depended on the guy who was writing them down to spell them.

Anyway...now that I'm here I might as well say what I do offline.

I read a lot. I read recreatively when I can, but that isn't very often anymore. It's just a good thing I'm an English Lit. major because I usually find many enjoyable readings that I have to do for my classes.

As for other hobbies, I do like being outdoors. So hiking, camping, fishing, and many other outdoor hobbies are fair game with me. During winter I don't do much outdoors these days, but I do like snowboarding. I haven't been on the mountain in the snow for going on six years now, but I'm hoping next winter, when all I'll have to really concern myself over is work, that I'll be able to get up to Sundance, Brighton, The Canyons (if I can afford that one) or Tibblefork (locals only, back country awesomeness!) and get some quality time in.

Aside from the summer activities I've already listed, I also enjoy four-wheeling, and longboarding. I was kind of a skateboarder in junior high, and I wanted to get back into it about a year and a half ago, but I hurt my back at work one day and a regular skateboard was just too rough. So I got the longboard, though I'm not very serious on it. Nice, smooth ride, and it actually is a lot of fun. Maybe this summer I can get more serious and bomb some big hills, but this spring, since my back feels great again, I'll probably give the old skateboard another shot.

Once upon a time I played sports, but I was never very competitive to begin with and after high school I stopped playing altogether.

And I'm a big fan of animals. I'm not a member of PETA or anything, but there's nothing quite like a good animal friend. Currently my family has three dogs (only one of which I can claim as my own), two cats, and one goat. We had horses in the past, but my dad can no longer ride because of hip problems. Now our pasture goes to cows (which come and go), and the goat.
Merkava

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: February 10, 2008, 05:13:56 PM »

My name's Aeneas. I'm 17 years old and I'm Half-Indian. I used to post frequently, but I only have enough time to read everyone else's comments.

Off-line I am a full-IB student at my high school, finishing up my Senior year. In addition to this, I participate in school theatre productions, mostly acting, although the One-Act play that we entered into competition was co-written by another student and myself. I love theatre, even though it takes up way too much of my time (I usually come home around 7pm every day, sometimes rehearsing most of the day on Saturdays, and on Hell Week, I stay till 10:30 or 11pm on school nights).

I've been in 6 productions so far and am about to enter my 7th and final production, which is also my first musical called City of Angels. We try and pick shows that no other high school would do. Some of the shows we have done in the past are Sweeney Todd, True West, and The Cripple of Inishman.

One of my favorite productions was our production of Danton's Death, which was a 3 1/2 hour play about the French Revolution converted into a 34-minute One-Act. I played timpani and snare drum and was a crowd member. Our techs built a functional guillotine just for the final multiple-execution scene.

Another one that I loved was A Flea in Her Ear, which was a French farce. I played a ridiculously sexual (and sexually ambiguous) doctor named Finache. I still cannot put my finger on his true purpose for even being in the play, but it was my first big role and the one I am most proud of.

As for future plans, I'm not sure if I want to pursue theatre as a career. I'd love to keep it up in any way I can, but I'm also interested in writing and secondary education. My mind may change, but I'm sure I'll be sticking to one of the three fields.

In my spare time I play guitar. I also used to be in the school band for percussion. I also try and write when I can, usually fiction, sometimes poetry.
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: February 10, 2008, 05:22:09 PM »

Quote from: "rubenxce"

My name is Ruben Montalvo and I'm currently 24 years old.  I live in

You sir, are my hero for having the last name MONTALVO.
rubenxce

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: February 14, 2008, 07:41:24 PM »

Where's the joke with my last name, don't get it >.>. But I'm glad I'm your hero :)
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 17, 2008, 12:03:35 PM »

I think Hidoshi was just saying it's a cool name.  A quick Google search turned up this cool Montalvo, though: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juan_Montalvo

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: