Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 02, 2014, 06:18:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
330172 Posts in 13528 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Build quality of current-gen consoles
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Build quality of current-gen consoles  (Read 2990 times)
Degolas

sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« on: January 25, 2008, 07:38:08 AM »

I've just gone to turn on my Nintendo Wii to find that it isn't working. Everything is plugged in as normal, but there's no power. So it will have to be sent off for repairs. Again. I had the exact same issue with it less than a year ago.

I'm quite annoyed, to be honest. Not only is it a pain in the arse to get it sorted, but last time I did it they mangled the game disc that was trapped inside, and I lost all my save data. As a result, I've never gone back to Twilight Princess. This time, I imagine it will stop me from playing Mario Galaxy if I lose all my data. Nintendo used to be the most reliable for console build quality, but I can't say it applies to this generation.

And with 360's red-ringing all over the place (mine has thankfully not encountered that yet), it seems that the PS3 has the best build quality of this generation. I haven't seen anything about PS3's having common problems at all. Sony making a reliable bit of hardware is a bit of a turn-up for the books really.

Has anyone experienced problems with their consoles of this sort?

I had a stupid dream
that I could change things.

Check out my YouTube videos!: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Degolas
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2008, 08:17:06 AM »

Not with my consoles, no, but my PSP suddenly decided reading UMDs was beneath him and mere weeks outside of the warrantee too. Sony had agreed to replace it for free though, so I guess I'm lucky.
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2008, 10:15:43 AM »

Quote from: "Degolas"
And with 360's red-ringing all over the place (mine has thankfully not encountered that yet), it seems that the PS3 has the best build quality of this generation. I haven't seen anything about PS3's having common problems at all. Sony making a reliable bit of hardware is a bit of a turn-up for the books really.

Sorry to hear about your Wii.  I haven't heard of any of my friends (or really anyone in general) having Wii troubles yet , but most of my friends who have a Wii don't play games that much anymore.  That could be why.

As for the 360, I think I remember you saying you got yours for Christmas? If so, I imagine you'll be fine.  My 360 fanboy friend insists that they fixed the red ring problem shortly after they announced their red ring fixing program and all current units should be fine.  I have a 360 arcade and since it has a HDMI port, it has to be a newer generation one.  I hope he's right.

On a side note... Anyone else find it funny that so far Sony has the most reliable hardware (or perhaps equal to the Wii)?  I shudder to think about how crappy the PS2 was compared to the Xbox and Gamecube.  Somehow my PS2 is still chugging along, though I fear it's not long for this world...

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2008, 10:29:31 AM »

I think people who tend to move their consoles around a lot have the most problems. My ps2 is rock solid and has been for the last 4 years. It's only been moved twice in its life time.
Takezo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2008, 10:37:26 AM »

The room frozen in time, do you dust regularly?
sandiny0ursh0es

sandiny0ursh0es
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2008, 11:45:36 AM »

I had to send in my Wii a few months ago because it spontaneously decided to stop being able to read games. I still get the error sometimes, but not to the point where I have to send it in again. Typically I just have to take out the game and put it in again and it starts working. But yeah, I share your sentiment-- I've never had problems with Nintendo hardware until now.

Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2008, 02:28:23 PM »

One Red Ring of Death here, and I got a few "dirty disk" errors from my old Xbox, but they weren't the "system's dead" kind. (Whew.)  No other problems with any other console ever.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Serene Prophet

sereneprophet@yahoo.com sereneprophet
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2008, 02:56:11 PM »

I had dirty disc problems with my 360, and the first PS2 I bought brand new broke within the first week.  Otherwise Ive never had a problem, even with the used systems I've purchased.  Of course the quality of manufacturing of current systems is not exactly a rare thing, just about everything nowadays are made somewhat less reliable than they used to be.

Point in case, I had a TV that was purchased around when I was born, and worked up to and I assume still does since I picked up an HDTV in November.  It had to be repaired once about 7 years ago, but comparatively my parents have owned around 5 different televisions, and 3 of them ended up going out within the first 3 years of usage (One the sound began to make crunches and whatnot, another the display went out, it would still turn on, but no picture, and the other just went dead).  Maybe its just luck, coincidence, etc, but it just seems that nowadays with so much more technology wrapped into things, that they tend to muck up much easier than things we used to have.

Of course, now that the systems have been out a decent amount of time, the companies have seemed to fix the errors that were occuring and as such the current batches of the current gen systems are more reliable.

But yeah...lol

-Give a man a fire, and hes warm for a day.  Light a man on fire, and hes warm for the rest of his life.-
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2008, 04:11:36 PM »

I'm on my 3rd 360:\  It's annoying when ur shit breaks but I didn't have to pay for any repairs so they took care of me at least. Our Wii seems fine but it's only a couple of months old. Our Mario Galaxy is fucked for some reason though. It only has a couple of MINOR scratches so that sucks hard.

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
Masamune

XzMaSaMuNezX
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2008, 06:03:38 PM »

I've gone through 3-4 360's.  Either the RRoD of freezing problems.  I had to quit playing Bioshock all together until they fixed the framerate issue, no way could I handle the game freezing up for a couple seconds every 5 seconds.

I'm used to seeing people completely bash the hell out of Sony in quality of hardware, but I've not had any problems with Sony's systems.  PSOne never gave me issues, I still use my launch PS2 to this day, and my PS3 has given me no problems.

I work at a Gamestop and I can personally vouch for the 30% failure ratio on 360's.  Maybe you've never had a problem with yours, but I would almost bet money that you eventually will.  Nothing against the 360, I love the system.  It's just a pain in the ass having to go through multiple systems.  I guess this is how early Sony adopters feel if they don't get lucky like myself.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2008, 06:13:14 PM »

It's worse for the X360 I'd say, it took 3 years of both the Playstation and Playstation 2 to fuck up, and the PS2 got an extension of 2 years thanks to a free repair. That's plenty of time to see the system put out enough awesome titles to justify the $200 or $300 even if it's inevitably replaced, while having an X360 die prior to that... Well, with free replacements for RRoD and one of the best holiday seasons there's been I suppose it's still not too bad, so long as it doesn't die during one of those awesome games.

Personally? I've had a GameBoy and Saturn fail in addition to the Playstations mentioned above. Saturn was probably from plugging and unplugging the power too often, and the GameBoy would work for about a minute or two then the LCD would fade and the image vanish. GameBoy was replaced for free, and I got a used Saturn for $20 from GameCrazy several months after the original failed. The X360 has been fince since launch, the only problems being that it wouldn't reliably read launch titles which I suspect were poorly printed anyway, and flashing between the controller 1 and 2 lights for an unknown reason. Either it's a weird defect or some warning.
Lord Scottish

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2008, 06:23:16 PM »

I've had issues with both my Wii and my 360. My Wii would not read Wii discs (but did read Gamecube discs). I sent it to Nintendo and got it repaired. My 360, meanwhile, is giving me the exact same problem as Jane's gave her. :(
TurnBasedDude
Ys Man
Rainbow Club Member

hotshot562@hotmail.com Alcazard0 emmy_sols
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2008, 06:42:46 PM »

So far, I have no problems with the current gen consoles at the moment. I only have the 360 and PS3 since september last year, and the Wii since launch. Prior to that, I had some major issues with non-nintendo products when I got them around the time it came out. The only exception was Dreamcast though occasionally, it has a hard time reading discs, but never died on me.

My first ps2 wind up being dead after a year or so when it had a lot of trouble reading newer gaemes around the time it came out, and had to miss out on some for a while. It was not until 2005 when I winded up getting another PS2, but the slim model. It remains reliable to this day. My Xbox worked fine for a while, but eventually, I kept getting errors on it, especially when I'm playing SEGA games on it. I got a new copy of Shenmue 2 cheap, and never got it to work unfortunately. My PSP was fine for a while, then suddenly didn't work.

It is quite tempting to get new stuff and all, but due to those experiences, I wind up playing the waiting game with the 360 and to much lesser extent PS3. I only got that console because my brother is interested in getting a blu-ray player so hey, kill 2 birds with one stone. While I hear from some others about Nintendo Wii issues, at least mine isn't messing up on me. I have faith in Nintendo stuff, even though this generaiton does not seem to be as good.

Xbox Gamertag: Gig01
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/Zapper101
Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2008, 06:46:21 PM »

I've never had a system itself die on me, but then I still have no current-gen systems.  My PS2 still chugs along like it's never going to give up, even with extensive playing time.

Can't really say I'm excited about getting a 360 in comparison though, especially if I nab that job in Japan...

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
Marshmallow

OH NO OH NO OH NO

AuroMarshmallow
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2008, 08:28:16 PM »

My first PS2 I got when FFX came out, and it died twice. The second time I bought a new one that hasn't had any problems yet.

I have a launch 60GB PS3 which continues to work fine, thankfully, and I hope it has a lot of life left in it, seeing as how I bought it secondhand, so there's no store to which I can return it. Additionally I'm not too comfortable with buying a new PS3, especially if rumours of the 80gig model being phased out are true. I'd probably abandon the system before buying a 40 gig model.

As far as other systems go, my Dreamcast stopped reading discs near the end of its usefulness anyway, so it didn't bug me too horribly, the gamecube I bought 5-6 years ago still works fine, and I still own an atari 2600 and an NES that work fine and have never had to be replaced.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: