Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2014, 11:36:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319050 Posts in 13030 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Jack Thompson calls Mass Effect controversy "contrived&
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Jack Thompson calls Mass Effect controversy "contrived&  (Read 1747 times)
Lord Scottish

View Profile

Ignore
« on: January 28, 2008, 09:04:57 PM »

O. M. G.
Jet16

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 09:26:47 PM »

Hmm. I never even heard of this Mass Effect controversy. But, as much as I don't like Bioware, they don't deserve: 1. Being owned by EA (cause no one deserves that) 2. All the bullshit about the game from the video I just saw. I really hate when people talk about something they haven't even experienced yet. Good thing I rarely pay attention to stories like this.
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2008, 10:44:31 PM »

AHBUH?!
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2008, 10:49:13 PM »

I take this as a sign that you've totally fucked up in your choice of targets, when Jack Thompson can't get behind game attacking (Ok, I'm going to assume he wouldn't go after something like Pokemon, but that's a really silly extreme anyway.) In a way it's not surprising, GTA pays lipservice to giving freedom to be a nice guy - you just never complete the main game and do Hospital missions for forever or whatever. But Mass Effect not only lets you truly choose between good and bad, but rewards you for that and anyways you can't be evil evil like other Bioware titles, being a trilogy and all that'd fuck it up for sequels.

Edit: And anything that lets you oneshot enemies from across the map with a shotgun fails as a 'murder simulator', more so than most shooters.
Lord Scottish

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2008, 11:17:35 PM »

In a related story, as I'm sure at least some of you know by now, the woman who started this shit has apologized.
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2008, 08:58:28 AM »

Quote from: "Eusis"
(Ok, I'm going to assume he wouldn't go after something like Pokemon, but that's a really silly extreme anyway.)

Actually...

http://nebs66.livejournal.com/50043.html

(Note the tag on that article - it's important.) :)

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2008, 02:28:08 PM »

Quote from: "Tooker"

HOLY CRAP! I mean, I knew that Jack Tompson was a jackhole, but I had no idea he was a xenophobic bible-quoting whore! Here, this entire time I think I supposed that he was coming at this from the left... not from the Religious Ryche (tm).

Now this is starting to make A LOT more sense.

Is he morman, by any chance?

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Daggerstrike
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2008, 02:31:05 PM »

Quote from: "Prime Mover"
Quote from: "Tooker"

HOLY CRAP! I mean, I knew that Jack Tompson was a jackhole, but I had no idea he was a xenophobic bible-quoting whore! Here, this entire time I think I supposed that he was coming at this from the left... not from the Religious Ryche (tm).

Now this is starting to make A LOT more sense.

Is he morman, by any chance?

It was an April Fools joke.

All right, we are going to use a fan brush here and uh why don't you take some hunter green and we are going to put a happy little bush right down over here in the corner there and that'll just be our little secret and if you tell anyone that that bush is there I will come to your house and I will cut you.
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2008, 03:10:22 PM »

lolPrimeMover.

He even told you to look at the tag, which was "april fools." And learn to spell, Mormon (which is politically incorrect, try LDS).

Personally, I think that Jack Thompson shows a bit of maturity and understanding here. I've met very intelligent, reasonable people who are all into this "culture wars" stuff and think that the mass media is killing our world. And, (again this is all quite personal), I think GTA is horse shit. I think it's fucking awful, and the fact that it is so popular says a lot about our indiscretionary youth. EVERYONE likes GTA, right? Intelligent, level-headed, reasonable humans like GTA. But so do kids with fucked-up drug addict parents who get silly ideas in their heads after playing GTA.

I think Thompson's methods are foul, and I also think he's an overbearing prick, but at the end of the day, I agree with him. Also, the Mass Effect sex thing is a non-issue. It's about as erotic as the "ooh, ohh!" noises you could hear in Fable after doing your wife.

Ramza

Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2008, 03:18:23 PM »

dubble post.

Quote from: "Lord Scottish"
In a related story, as I'm sure at least some of you know by now, the woman who started this shit has apologized.

Well, Cooper Lawrence didn't start the controversy. FOX started it. FOX asked her to appear, and if we're to believe Ms. Lawrence, she spoke entirely on hearsay from what FOX correspondents told her.

I hates the FOX News.

jphussey

hussman12
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2008, 04:39:34 PM »

Aren't "Fox" and "News" a contradicition.

daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2008, 04:46:44 PM »

I like Fox because it's entertaining.

Most news is all biased, so why not go with what's the most fun to watch?
Masamune

XzMaSaMuNezX
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2008, 05:47:16 PM »

So why don't you watch the Daily Show and the Colbert Report, eh?  I don't know if you'll understand the irony or not.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2008, 06:03:52 PM »

Quote from: "Masamune"
So why don't you watch the Daily Show and the Colbert Report, eh?  I don't know if you'll understand the irony or not.

As this outlines there's better alternatives for entertainment. If you watch the news, you should be trying to inform yourself and not being entertained by the process going horribly astray.
Lord Scottish

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2008, 08:23:07 PM »

Quote from: "Ramza"
lolPrimeMover.

He even told you to look at the tag, which was "april fools." And learn to spell, Mormon (which is politically incorrect, try LDS).

He also misspelled Reich. (That is what he intended to say, right? I have a history of misinterpreting his spelling errors.)

Also, my parents fell for that "Pokemon is Satanic" shit when I was a kid, so thanks for bringing back those oh-so-pleasant childhood memories. :(
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: