Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 21, 2014, 04:05:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329348 Posts in 13491 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  Atlus announces Arcana Heart, all-female 2D fighter for PS2
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Atlus announces Arcana Heart, all-female 2D fighter for PS2  (Read 3747 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« on: January 31, 2008, 10:08:29 PM »

The official site.

Not interesting to me, but I'm sure some of you would be all over it.
Losfer
Bearded Scumlord

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2008, 12:16:57 AM »

this is relevant to my interests

Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2008, 12:23:46 AM »

I'm surprised and happy that Atlus decided to localize this one. the only thing I know of it is its soundtrack, which is excellent. The sequel is nearly out in Japan, and so is its soundtrack. :)

Ramza

TurnBasedDude
Ys Man
Rainbow Club Member

hotshot562@hotmail.com Alcazard0 emmy_sols
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2008, 12:42:38 AM »

If it is an actual solid fighter and not something meh like rumble roses, this could be a guilty pleasure. :p

Xbox Gamertag: Gig01
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/Zapper101
Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2008, 01:22:35 AM »

I haven't heard of it before, but just looking at the artwork I can at least say that I'm glad there aren't overly massive boobs flying all over the place. Do I think those massive boobs in DoA are hot? Totally. Can I take the game seriously because of them? Not at all.

If the fighting is actually good, I might just check it out. I haven't really played a good fighting game since Marvel vs. Capcom 2, and I could stand having another good one for the PS2.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2008, 11:26:10 AM »

I'm increasingly worried the otaku bug in Japan is infecting North American shores.  Dating sims are next fo sho.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2008, 08:41:34 PM »

I thought there had already been some released.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2008, 11:07:06 PM »

Lard- Japanese dating sims a'la Tokimeki Memorial haven't been released in the US.  Dating sims are highly stat oriented and are almost like RPGs in that regard.  For example, if you want to hook up with the girl on the track team, you need to "level grind" your athletics stat by doing lots of athletic stuff.    

On the other hand, love adventures, which are the choose your own adventure style visual novels, have seen a few releases in the US via the now defunct Hirameki.  Some of these include Ai Yori Aoshi, Tea Society of a Witch, and Hourglass of Summer (Natsuiro no Sunadokei).  Hourglass of Summer is, in my opinion, the epitome of the genre, and I've played my fair share of love adventures.  One need only look at my body of writing for RPGfan to see that I'm a big fan of KID's work (save for Ai Yori Aoshi, which was a lousy game.)  

Closest thing to a dating sim that the US has seen is the Thousand Arms RPG and that travesty of a game Sprung (which wasn't Japanese.)  

As for my opinion on Arcana Heart, same as Jimmy.  So long as the fighting engine is solid and not clunky like Rumble Roses, then why the heck not?  Sure Dead or Alive was a goofy fighter, but the engine was really good.

My favorite 2D fighter is still Marvel vs. Capcom 2 for Dreamcast.  Say what you will about that system, but it was the best I can think of for fighting games.

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Losfer
Bearded Scumlord

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2008, 01:57:29 AM »

The engine in DOA is pretty solid.  We had a good two player match just the other night actually.

Gorgon

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2008, 03:32:51 AM »

Wel, If it's Atlus I'm interested, though this one seems a bit meh... but it still has tits (+2 points)
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2008, 10:29:29 AM »

Quote from: "Dincrest"
My favorite 2D fighter is still Marvel vs. Capcom 2 for Dreamcast.  Say what you will about that system, but it was the best I can think of for fighting games.

Can't argue with you there.  It's a really solid game with lots of fun characters.  MvC2 and Capcom vs SNK 2 are easily my two favorite fighting games of all time with Street Fighter Alpha 3 trailing a close third.

Anyways, this game seems interesting.  Looking through the gameplay stuff on the site, it looks similar to the Guilty Gear series in some ways to me.  I could see myself picking this up.

The game's effects sure do look pretty.

edit:  More digging has revealed that this game is pretty sweet and has some depth.  Looks to be even more similar to Guilty Gear or Melty Blood than I originally thought.  This looks even more so to be a worthwhile purchase.  

Also, in Japan apparently there are two versions of this.  Arcana Heart and Arcana Heart FULL (some sort of patch) that nerfed overly strong characters and buffed some of the weaker characters.  Apparently the American version will feature both versions and you can play whichever one you want.  Cool.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Takezo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2008, 08:05:37 PM »

Closer to Melty Blood than anything. Gameplay is loads slower than Accent Core+ Loads of tournament players have stopped playing the game seriously. It's very well balanced but not really competitive enough to stick around outside the lol/japan/doujiin fighters scene. Kamui is so ridiculous, you can master the game in about a week. Jwong stopped playing entirely, most of Shoryuken is yawning. So long to Hokuto No Ken as well (rage, my broken glory).

GuiltyGear AC+ and Third Strike, long live. KOF XI too.
Chimpbot

ChimpbotD piccolo141@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2008, 11:48:43 AM »

Quote from: "Takezo"
Closer to Melty Blood than anything. Gameplay is loads slower than Accent Core+ Loads of tournament players have stopped playing the game seriously. It's very well balanced but not really competitive enough to stick around outside the lol/japan/doujiin fighters scene. Kamui is so ridiculous, you can master the game in about a week. Jwong stopped playing entirely, most of Shoryuken is yawning. So long to Hokuto No Ken as well (rage, my broken glory).

GuiltyGear AC+ and Third Strike, long live. KOF XI too.

Perhaps it's just me. Maybe my higher brain functions stopped operationg correctly. I'm not sure.

Regardless, I didn't understand a single thing you just said.
Extwin

imlzeronx
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2008, 10:22:18 PM »

There was a hokuto no ken 2d fighter? I would like to try that. This also looks interesting. Im an Atlus whore though, so that tends to sway me. That and the fact that with most atlus releases if you dont preorder you dont get It so that pushes me into grabbing games I even think I might like

Mostly lurks, with good reason
Obviously, I'm a genius...The Darkrider said so
Me: So, Mom, where are you going in the U.K.?
Mom: Ware
Me: Yeah, where?
Mom: No, Ware.... W-A-R-E
newgameplus

vanishdelliott
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2008, 09:31:54 PM »

I love 2-D fighters. A lot. But this game... this is disastrously offensive.

I can see a lot of creepy pedo-doll collecting weirdos drawing all sorts of "not so cool" fan art to this...

Vanish/Doom - An RPG News Blog
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: