Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 26, 2014, 03:20:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327451 Posts in 13407 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Opoona slated for March 25 in US
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Opoona slated for March 25 in US  (Read 2637 times)
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2008, 01:51:53 PM »

Anyone jump on this today?

Picked a copy up at GS. Two of the clerks behind the desk looked at me funny when I asked for Opoona. One guy knew what I was talking about.

If I have time I'll jump into it tonight.
I wasn't aware that there was a lot of life sim involved. Apparently you can choose what type of jobs you want to do and advance in rank in each job by doing missions etc.

I heard that it had old school difficult game play, but the gamepro review said that the game was too easy...
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2008, 11:40:09 AM »

Only put in an hour last night and am still doing tutorial type things, so these are very initial impressions.

The game can be completely controlled with the nunchuck, and it works. No different than using a track ball or mouse on the PC really.

Graphics are nice for a Wii game, bright and colorful.

Load times seem non-existant so far because I think the game is constantly loading, I hear the Wii clunk away constantly.

Interestingly, I had updated my Wii before playing this as I had not turned the Wii on in many months, and before I could play, I was asked to update the firmware from the disc before it would start. Haven't seen this before, not sure what it is for.
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2008, 09:15:24 AM »

Put in another hour last night.

Started my missions for the ranger guild.
Battles are fast, and keep you engaged due to the use of your bonbon. Enemies move around during battle, and if you don't time your attacks right, your bonbon will miss and you have to wait for your energy to replenish before you can attack again.
Most battles last less than 10 seconds. There is a battle timer set to 2 min, and when that drains down you get KOed. I don't think I've seen that in an RPG yet.

The Wii is constantly loading, I'm afraid my drive is going to implode.
The layout of the "towns" are very confusing, but for those of you who like to explore will probably like them.

Don't regret dropping $50 on this game yet.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2008, 09:33:47 PM »

What is a "lifestyle" RPG exactly?

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2008, 10:12:41 PM »

There's a bunch of "mini" games that you can take on, but it's really 50% of the game.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2008, 12:22:44 AM »

Like Shenmue?

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2008, 09:08:45 AM »

Kinda.

I loved the game at first, but after a while I got sick of it. I stopped playing maybe 60-75% through.

Way too much emphasis on the job aspect of the game, and not enough on the combat, which is pretty awesome.

If this game had been more of a DQ style game with a true world map, exploration etc, then it would've been great.
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2008, 12:48:43 PM »

I really had to work to remain sort of objective for my review after the labyrinth-like mess that was the first city.  Couldn't love it, but I've definitely played worse.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Bernhardt

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2008, 04:09:07 PM »

Quote from: "daschrier"
If this game had been more of a DQ style game with a true world map, exploration etc, then it would've been great.

I agree; looked like an interesting world, and wanted it to have an overworld map.

Quote from: "Tooker"
I really had to work to remain sort of objective for my review after the labyrinth-like mess that was the first city.  Couldn't love it, but I've definitely played worse.

I agree, that first city is messed up; they should have all the Administration shite in one building; e.g., the Job and License offices in the first building along with the other offices, instead of having them just where-the-fuck ever.

The other cities are a little simpler; Lifeborn (the second city)'s setup was almost TOO simple.

What really peeves me are the elevators; I hate how you have to ascend/descend one floor at a time, and you can't just use the same elevator to go up or down, you use separate elevators to go up or down.

I'd like to be able to jump from the first floor to the fifth floor from whatever fuckign elevator I want.
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2008, 04:22:04 PM »

Quote from: "Bernhardt"
What really peeves me are the elevators; I hate how you have to ascend/descend one floor at a time, and you can't just use the same elevator to go up or down, you use separate elevators to go up or down.

That's the thing - lots of little annoyances like this detracted from the game too much for me to love it.  Gotta hand it to them on simplicity of controls, though.  Only game I've played with easier controls was probably Donkey Konga. (Two bongos and clapping.  That's all.)

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: