Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2014, 11:57:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334694 Posts in 13707 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  PS2 RPG Roundup
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: PS2 RPG Roundup  (Read 7592 times)
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2008, 01:28:06 PM »

Just posting to add some balance. I like most of the games the initial poster has played. Based on those types of games I would be cautious about recommending the  Shin Megami Tensei titles. I hated Persona 2 when I played it, and if the other games play like this one(Aren't the DDS games supposed to be a bit closer to traditional?) I would be careful about tossing them out there without an asterisk. They are definitely different than your average jrpg and that should be pointed out. For the record, I couldn't stand Shadow Hearts either.

Playing: TWD Season 2, Alan Wake
Reading: Mistborn #2 by Brandon Sanderson
jphussey

hussman12
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2008, 02:03:42 PM »

Agreed.

The posted seems like a mainstream gamer and SMT games are not mainstream.

I think Ramza picked up on this and his recommendations should be taken in accordingly.

JP
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2008, 02:34:44 PM »

And is that a reason *not* to recommend something a little different?  As far as I'm concerned, DDS 1 & 2 (which Pat also recommended) have pretty traditional turn-based gameplay, but a unique and nontraditional storyline.  Even with Persona 3, the dungeon crawling is pretty traditional though the school-sim stuff is a fresh twist.  

After Nocturne, MegaTen games have gotten rid of the demon chit chat during battles.  I think anyone who's been put off by the esoteric nature of prior MegaTen games' gameplay could get into the DDS games.  The main caveat with the DDS games is that the first one can be hard to find and therefore expensive.  

As far as traditional gameplay goes, there is Final Fantasy X-2 with its classic FF ATB battles and job system but that game didn't go over well with gamers.  I liked it myself, personally, though.

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2008, 03:26:01 PM »

I never got around to finishing P2 because as much as I loved the game, it could get a bit grind heavy and you had to plan properly before going to a dungeon lest you get fucked over, but I really enjoyed the PS2 games and beat SMT:N and DDS1&2. I only didn't beat Devil Summoner because I got bored with it and distracted by other games, and P3 because I was distracted there too.
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2008, 03:33:44 PM »

Same here. My outtings with Shin Megami Tensei haven't been stellar, they're not for everyone. I think, in many cases like this, lesser-known RPGs like this are sometimes over-hyped in niche communites like RPGfan because people feel that they don't get their due credit. They're probably right, but even so, I don't think they're really "all that". I also wasn't too thrilled by Shadow Hearts: Covinant, the story is good, but the dungeon and area design is incredibly linear and constrained, and I also thought that many of the character choices and dialog felt "forced" (ie: characters in the 1910s shouting "bite me").

My choices for PS2 are:

- Tales of the Abyss
- Okami (I, too, would consider this an RPG)
- Suikoden V
- Final Fantasy XII
- Dragon Quest VIII
- Grandia II (if you can't find a PC or DreamCast to play it on)
- Wild Arms 4 (haven't played WA5 yet)

I would add that the PS2 has some of the greatest action/adventure games of any console I've seen:
- ICO
- Shadow of the Colossus
- God of War (which I'm playing right now)
- Okami (which is also an action/adventure)

just to name a few.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2008, 04:08:47 PM »

Quote from: "macirex"
for the record... can someone please post a list of all the ps2 Rpgs?? Just to see what we have and what we donīt have...

No. There are nearly 2000 games on the PlayStation 2 according to Wikipedia, and a sizeable portion of those are RPGs. Too many!
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2008, 07:08:12 PM »

Quote from: "Hidoshi"
No. There are nearly 2000 games on the PlayStation 2 according to Wikipedia, and a sizeable portion of those are RPGs. Too many!

Ya I feel that. Then there's always the question of what is or isn't an RPG, so making a definitive "list" is dangerous. Our reviews and pics sections are probably about as definitive as you're gonna get, though it's certainly not exhaustive (yet ... I'm a sick, sick man and I'm working on it).

Ramza

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2008, 07:46:59 PM »

In regards to whether something is or isn't an RPG: Does it really matter when it comes to suggesting games to someone? Unless they absolutely can't play anything other than an RPG for some reason or are looking for a very specific experience (doubt that's the intent of the thread, otherwise it would've asked for a specific type of RPG), I say just throw out whatever is awesome enough and isn't some insane jump like Big Mutha Truckers. So on that note:

Okami - Kinda drags on too long, but still a great, must play PS2 titles
Steambot Chronicles - Pretty cheap now and a neat game
Bully - Best of Rockstar's sandbox games I'd say, and if GTA's subject matter bugs you this is a good substitute
Killer7 - GC version's better as I understand it, but this game is wonderfully insane. Just don't expect it to be a fantastic game.

That was just off the top of my head, and the first two are covered by RPG sites at least.
maverick

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2008, 02:48:00 AM »

Quote from: "macirex"
for the record... can someone please post a list of all the ps2 Rpgs?? Just to see what we have and what we donīt have...

http://www.gamerankings.com/itemrankings/simpleratings.asp

OR

http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/ps2/list_rpg.html

I'm not sure if that is all of the rpgs released. The gamefaqs one is probably reliable, but also shows every single rpg worldwide. Good luck looking at all those rpgs.

"To be honest your logic reeks more of a drunk man...but calling you drunk would be a compliment because that would mean one day you could awaken from this state of ignorance."
- Originally Posted by Younggrease
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2008, 03:17:50 AM »

Quote from: "Eusis"
In regards to whether something is or isn't an RPG: Does it really matter when it comes to suggesting games to someone?

Well the OP *did* ask for RPGs ... so ...

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2008, 03:24:29 AM »

True, but I'm thinking more this "I consider it an RPG SO THERE!" justification. Probably more important there is that if so many that like RPGs also like that, it's worth looking into.
Bernhardt

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2008, 03:41:27 PM »

All PS2 RPGs, eh? That's pretty much my entire collection:

Traditional RPG:

Ar-Tonelico
Atelier Iris (1 ~ Eternal Mana, 2 ~ Azoth of Destiny, 3 ~ Grand Fantasm)
Breath of Fire (V)
Digital Devil Saga (1, 2)
Dragon Quest (VIII)
Final Fantasy (X, XII)
Grandia (II, Xtreme, III)
Metal Saga
Magna Carta
Persona (3)
Rogue Galaxy
Romancing SaGa
Shadow Hearts (I, II, III)
Star Ocean (3 ~ Till the End of Time)
Suikoden (III, IV, V)
Tales (Legendia, Abyss)
Tsugunai
Unlimited SaGa
Wild Arms (3, 4, V)
Xenosaga (I, II, III)

Action RPG:

Bard's Tale
Beyond Good & Evil
Dark Cloud (1, 2)
Devil May Cry (1, 2, 3)
Drakengard (1, 2)
Dual Hearts
Kingdom Hearts (1, 2)
Odin Sphere
Okami
Samurai Legend Musashi
Shadow of the Colossus
Valkyrie Profile (2)

Strategy RPG:

Disgaea (1, 2)
Front Mission (4)
La Pucelle
Phantom Brave
Makai Kingdom
Soul Nomad
Stella Deus
Sapphire_Fate

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2008, 06:25:30 PM »

Quote from: "Prime Mover"
Same here. My outtings with Shin Megami Tensei haven't been stellar, they're not for everyone. I think, in many cases like this, lesser-known RPGs like this are sometimes over-hyped in niche communites like RPGfan because people feel that they don't get their due credit. They're probably right, but even so, I don't think they're really "all that". I also wasn't too thrilled by Shadow Hearts: Covinant, the story is good, but the dungeon and area design is incredibly linear and constrained, and I also thought that many of the character choices and dialog felt "forced" (ie: characters in the 1910s shouting "bite me").

My choices for PS2 are:

- Tales of the Abyss
- Okami (I, too, would consider this an RPG)
- Suikoden V
- Final Fantasy XII
- Dragon Quest VIII
- Grandia II (if you can't find a PC or DreamCast to play it on)
- Wild Arms 4 (haven't played WA5 yet)

I would add that the PS2 has some of the greatest action/adventure games of any console I've seen:
- ICO
- Shadow of the Colossus
- God of War (which I'm playing right now)
- Okami (which is also an action/adventure)

just to name a few.

Just to kind of clear up one of your complaints of Covenant: It's called anachronisms. :P It IS alternate history after all.

Anyways, as far as PS2 RPGs?

Drakengard I and II
Any SMT game
Any Shadow Hearts game
Okage: Shadow King
FFX, X-2
And a myriad of others.
Jet16

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2008, 02:54:33 AM »

^Skip X-2. It isn't really an experience you need to have. I don't know if anyone has mentioned the Nippon Ichi games, those are pretty good as well.
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2008, 06:36:35 PM »

Quote from: "Sapphire_Fate"
Just to kind of clear up one of your complaints of Covenant: It's called anachronisms. :P It IS alternate history after all.

Yeah, well, that particular assortment of anachronisms felt forced and made me cringe about every 5 minutes. Bottom line: not a possitive experience, and made me very uncomfortable. I didn't find it funny, witty, or to the characters' advantage. I just found it childish and panderous. I know I'm in the minority here, but it has to be said.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: