Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 21, 2014, 02:17:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329336 Posts in 13490 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  PS2 RPG Roundup
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: PS2 RPG Roundup  (Read 7575 times)
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2008, 06:48:39 PM »

Wild Arms 5 gets my most underrated of 2007 vote.
Lord Scottish

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2008, 08:52:08 PM »

Mine goes to Shining Force: EXA.

And while I'm praising games that everyone on these boards seem to hate (I seem to do that a lot around here), I will also go on record as saying that I think X-2 is fantastic. Maybe the main storyline wasn't all it could have been, but the subplots - especially the Crimson Squad stuff - really made that game for me.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2008, 09:17:00 PM »

Quote from: "Jet16"
^Skip X-2. It isn't really an experience you need to have. I don't know if anyone has mentioned the Nippon Ichi games, those are pretty good as well.

To each their own.  The gameplay is pretty solid if you can look passed the bubbly characters and shit story.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Sapphire_Fate

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2008, 10:22:28 PM »

Quote from: "Prime Mover"
Quote from: "Sapphire_Fate"
Just to kind of clear up one of your complaints of Covenant: It's called anachronisms. :P It IS alternate history after all.

Yeah, well, that particular assortment of anachronisms felt forced and made me cringe about every 5 minutes. Bottom line: not a possitive experience, and made me very uncomfortable. I didn't find it funny, witty, or to the characters' advantage. I just found it childish and panderous. I know I'm in the minority here, but it has to be said.

To be honest, I didn't like Yuri's constant "Bite me" either. In Japanese, he was calling people idiots and whatnot. That would have been much funnier.
Jet16

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2008, 06:21:46 PM »

Quote from: "Dice"

To each their own.  The gameplay is pretty solid if you can look passed the bubbly characters and shit story.

Of course, the gameplay was the best part of the game. But seeing as how I found the story to be completely horrendous and the characters were boring, and, like you said, 'bubbly' I completely took away any credit I had towards it. My suggestion is just play X, and leave it at that for whoever started this thread.

On SH note: Easily my favorite JRPGs on the PS2, next to the SMT games. I highly recommend looking into this series.
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2008, 03:00:57 PM »

To be honest, I didn't like Yuri's constant "Bite me" either. In Japanese, he was calling people idiots and whatnot. That would have been much funnier.

It just seemed a bit out of character to me. Yuri was, overall, pretty serious and quiet. He didn't have any particular reason to appear like the "asshole badass", he could really care less what others thought of him. Constantly using the term "bite me" just wreeks of someone who's trying to act tough. That's why it felt forced to me, it just felt out of character and out of period... so why was it there at all? Although, having Rasputin claim, "No, it is you who will be biting me!", was kinda funny, even if completely rediculous.

I do find it odd, however, that the way in which you kill Rasputin in the game is NOWHERE as odd or fantastic as how he really died. He was poisoned with enough cyanide to kill 5 men, shot 4 times (in the middle of which, he actually strangled one of his assassins), and finally drowned in a river, but only after unsuccessfully trying to claw his way up through the ice. Some of the specifics are disputable, but the autopsy reports primarily confirm these (I just did some reading up, for interest's sake).

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Sapphire_Fate

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2008, 06:20:53 PM »

Quote from: "Prime Mover"

It just seemed a bit out of character to me. Yuri was, overall, pretty serious and quiet. He didn't have any particular reason to appear like the "asshole badass", he could really care less what others thought of him. Constantly using the term "bite me" just wreeks of someone who's trying to act tough. That's why it felt forced to me, it just felt out of character and out of period... so why was it there at all? Although, having Rasputin claim, "No, it is you who will be biting me!", was kinda funny, even if completely rediculous.

I do find it odd, however, that the way in which you kill Rasputin in the game is NOWHERE as odd or fantastic as how he really died. He was poisoned with enough cyanide to kill 5 men, shot 4 times (in the middle of which, he actually strangled one of his assassins), and finally drowned in a river, but only after unsuccessfully trying to claw his way up through the ice. Some of the specifics are disputable, but the autopsy reports primarily confirm these (I just did some reading up, for interest's sake).

Uhhh... I'm going to go out on a limb and say you missed the first Shadow Hearts, where he is an "asshole badass". He doesn't say "Bite me" or anything immature like that (SH1 painted him with a lot more maturity and intelligence than Covenant did), and the only reason he's toned down in Covenant is due to a certain character's death.

So... Yuri actually IS an asshole badass, it just takes the right motivation for him to change to it.
Lord Scottish

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2008, 06:57:31 PM »

I, and a couple other people around here, really like Metal Saga. You probably won't, though.

I also cautiously recommend Wizardry: Tales of the Forsaken Land.
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2008, 07:48:14 PM »

Recommending one RPG, I'd have to go with Tales of the Abyss (since I could easily list a lot...)

TotA is a great game, as it has a good battle system, and Free Run made TotA's battle system better than Symphonia's, but also a lot easier. I personally liked the plot, not the greatest, but this is a Tales game, where characters are first and plot is second. Speaking of characters, I liked all of them but Natalia...she has something up her ass. I liked Luke in the beginning of the game, and I'm probably a minority there. His hatred towards Mieu made up for all his whining bullshit, but besides that, he becomes a better character in the second half of the game.

Most importantly though, there's no need to grind at all. I beat the game in 47 hours and only died once (final boss), so it won't give you too much trouble unless you're terrible at action-RPGs.
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2008, 07:56:59 PM »

Gotta second Dalucifer, ToA is hands down, what I believe to be the best RPG on the PS2 (second if you count Okami and RPG/Adventure hybrids). The characters are superb, and the dialog is incredible. Some of the best character development in the genre, and some of the best overall character portrayal and blending of interesting architypes I've ever seen. Actually, I liked Natalia (and not just because she was a total babe), I thought some of her revelations and reactions to certain events really gave her character credibility and made her far more interesting than most RPG characters... including some of the other cast members in ToA. Anise was also an extremely interesting character... one of the stranger takes on the "cute little bratty girl" archetype that I've seen. And Jade was a very interesting combination of "sarcastic asshole" and "wise elder".

Yes, if I was stranded on a desterted island with only a PS2 and one RPG, it would be Tales of the Abyss, without question. Still gotta give Skies of Arcadia Legends the edge for the generation as a whole, but that's GameCube.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Professor Gast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2008, 04:50:32 AM »

You will hear a lot of people whine and bitch about these games around here, but I would recommend the three Xenosaga games. The best part is the story of course, but I for one had no issues with the battle system whatsoever.
Sapphire_Fate

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2008, 02:37:27 PM »

I can agree with you on that. I loved the Xenosaga games. Probably the most epic storyline told on the PS2.

However, I tend to be a fan of all these games that get bashed so much (Xenosaga, Chrono Cross, Drakengard...).
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2008, 02:47:26 PM »

The PS2 still has plenty of life left in it, so while the past looks excellent in terms of the RPG library, the future's looking better than expected.  In March, Mana Khemia comes out, for example.  And I believe it was reported that Atlus was planning to develop Persona 4 for the PS2 rather than a next-gen system.  The PS2 certainly has a strong userbase and with the new generation of systems' (PS3, 360) hardware and software prices being high, I sense more people hanging on to their older consoles.  I sure as day can't afford a 360.  

So whether you're looking to the past, present or immediate future, there are plenty of PS2 RPGs out there and at least a handful that will satisfy what you want and like.  Like any recommendation thread, you ask 20 people what the best RPG for the system is, you'll get 20 different responses.

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: April 07, 2008, 12:05:49 PM »

Sorry for ressurecting such an old thread but I really have to throw in another vote for xenosaga because of espisode III. Playing through episode II can be a bit of a pain but the game isn't that long and the overall experience is worth it.

I'm still on disc 1 of XSIII but it was rewarding when I started the game and realized that the producers learned from their mistakes and used their experience from the previous episodes to create a fantastic final episode for the saga.

They tuned the gameplay, the character design is excellent (I never got used to the charaters in ep. II, especially shion and momo who look great now) and the graphics show significant improvement. The "lego hands" are gone and the animations are more natural.

It's a good story that is worth your time.

After cheking out the SMT and SH games people who haven't tried these should give them a shot. Ep. I is pretty old but still looks good and ep. II, despite the flawed gameplay, is still a decent game. It requires some patience but ep. III is worth it. You can skip the first two and just read the story in ep.III's database if you aren't in the mood to play them...

If you're not into JRPGs (especially of the more linear kind) just forget you ever read this post though.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Morphamadol

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: April 10, 2008, 09:13:10 AM »

EDIT: Oops just realised this was an ancient thread, my apologies.

Im in a similar position, had a PS2 since the week it came out but aside the 2 Final Fantasy games and maybe Silent Hill 2, I barely used it for years due to MMO's and a busy life.

Fast forward to 2007 and I started buying up the RPGs for the PS2.

The decent games have all been covered here really, but the technique I used was to go through the review list on here and then do a bit more research then check amazon/ebay. I began using Gamespot as my benchmark but I feel that with JRPGs at least, you need to gatherer the opinion of someone who is actively enjoying games in the genre (which is when I found RPGFan), mainstream reviewers tend to fault the JRPGs due to their tendency to cling on to old mechanics.

I've recently purchased:

The SMT collection: Nocture, DDS 1 & 2, Persona 3 and am thinking about devil summoner.

Last year I played through Suikoden 5, which although not the best Suikoden at least in my opinion (it got rave reviews pretty much everywhere else) it is still worth picking up. I'm contemplating Suikoden 4, but I hear it's a turd.

Games I've yet to play but bought up for prosperity include, Dragon Quest VIII and Suikoden Tactics.

So with just the PS2 alone I reckon I've a good year or two worth of games to keep me occupied, but I also bought up the Gamecube/GBA/DS stuff so yah happy times :)

It's become almost a fun little hobby collecting all these games, especially as i've not even played half of them! Something about crawling trough the depths of Ebay and researching on small back water fansites that is quite exciting. It's made especially difficult being from the PAL territory, a lot of the RPG series here only got tiny distribution.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: