Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2014, 03:23:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319774 Posts in 13047 Topics by 2147 Members
Latest Member: TacoBell_Lord
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Tell me something...
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16 Print
Author Topic: Tell me something...  (Read 26390 times)
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2008, 11:15:33 AM »

Quote from: "sandiny0ursh0es"
I'm actually gay, and I always wonder if video game forums are as homophobic as they seem to be.

Don't know if this helps, but I'm straight, and that stuff bugs me too.  Seeing people say "that's so gay" when they think something is stupid and that kind of thing.  I can't comment on if people say that kind of thing here or not, because there are a lot of posts I don't read, but I've definitely seen it elsewhere.  I have gay friends and work with several folks who are gay, so maybe I'm more sensitive to it than some straight people... I don't know.

About me personally... here's my blurb from my staff page:

I've been gaming for as long as I've been able to buy my own, unless you count sneaking trips to friends' houses to play theirs. The first one I bought was an original Game Boy, and I played the heck out of Tetris on it. Of course, I've grown and matured since then, which basically means I have more money to buy games.

I earned a degree in Spanish after living in Central America for a couple of years, spent some time translating for the National Guard, and now I'm a business traveller. I like flying because it gives me time to play games, and my wife likes it because it gets me out of her hair. Since I travel, I do most of my gaming on handhelds (both PSP and DS), but I do play games on home consoles (360, PS2 or Wii) as well. I used to write as GrandpaT on an Xbox site.

Frankly, it's more info than I usually like to give about myself online.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2008, 12:17:52 PM »

ive been in a slow downward spiral for quite some time now. my emotional and mental health is lacking these days. videogames provide such potent escapism that i dont alow my self to think on it,and ive been unemployed for a good year. the overt feminism i display is in fact born of my desire to not want to seem weak compared to my male counterparts,and because i have such a competative nature i want to be better than them. i sometimes feel like ET in that atari game where you fall in the hole and cant get out. people have thrown me ropes but i was content and didnt pull myself outnow those ropes are slowly disapearing.

it feels good to get that out of my system. i only hope soon i can begin to pull myself out.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2008, 02:15:21 PM »

Quote from: "sandiny0ursh0es"
I'm actually gay, and I always wonder if video game forums are as homophobic as they seem to be.

I'm going to take a wild guess that they're not. Internet forums, in general, tend to be fairly socially progressive. They sort of have to be, since they're inclusive of a huge variety of demographics. Unfortunately, the term "gay" has found alternate meanings in american slang (I can't vouch for other countries that emulate american culture). However, I've seen "faggot" very little on internet forums, outside of music forums talking about bassoon orchestration ("faggotti" is the traditional name for a bassoon).

That said, I've gotten into a bad habbit of self-deprecatingly using the "N"-word amongst my close friends. I say "self-deprecatingly" because I realize that the way I use it, I'm actually, more, mocking white people for being racist. I know that this not a great excuse for using it, although you must understand that it implies a very different connotation from the one a KKK member might use it for.

But the actualization of the "N"-word towards mockery of racism is very different from the constant, ignorant usage of the word "gay", which I think is one of the most hurtful usages of symantics in our language today. That's because it seems so beneign, yet slowly equates homosexuality with negative behavior.

If people don't think about their language usage, they eventually start subconciously equating "gay" with "bad" without even realizing it. Even if they do think about it, the repeated use of a word can subconciously effect one's perception of something. It's extremely damaging on a national, cultural level.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Leo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2008, 03:36:03 PM »

My name is Alex, and I'm 22 years old. (turning 23 on March 2nd) As of now, I'm working at retail, at a garage shop; the pay is bad, but I'm still in the process of figuring out my life, so I'm just looking in having fun in the meanwhile. I like a little of everything besides being addicted to video games, anime, hip-hop, and video game & anime OSTs.

I'm turning into a baseball fan with baseball season coming up this spring. A friend and I are going to Wrigley's Stadium to see the Cubs play. I haven't been to Chi-town in a hot minute.

Not sure what else to add, but I would like to say that because of my interests in video games, anime, and certain music genres, they have shaped who I am today, and how I conduct myself in public. Meaning that I am more open and fun to be around with; it's interests like those that I think make life fun to experience, because you're not getting involved in anything negative or dangerous. An example being nerdcore hip-hop. I love the sub-genre because people can just be them and make some great music at the same time. Nerdcore alone inspires me to be a better person.
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2008, 04:40:08 PM »

My name's Shane. I'm 22 years old.  I joined this site 2 days before my birthday in '06. I don't play RPGs or games as much as I used to. I'm mostly into 2D fighters now. I have casual get togethers with some friends around town, and sometimes people that are out of town. Ocassionally I attend tournies to see how far I can make it, and to meet new people. And it's just fun to travel. I'm a mellow person, quiet, kind, shy, but I usually don't have a problem striking up a conversation with a stranger.

I like to read. I've been reading Neil Gaiman's American Gods. So far it's capitivating. It's the only book in a long time that's been able to hold my attention. I love cats. I have one. His name is Rosco. I'll post pictures at the end of this post. I feel connected to animals and nature so, I love to be outside. I want to travel to many parts of the globe whenever I can get the chance. I play the bass guitar, and I'm really into music. I listen to all kinds. I'm very open to music. I can appreciate most of it.

I'm not in college yet, but I plan to start going soon. The reason I never attended was because I could never decide what I would study, and I still don't really know. My interests vary often. One day I'll be really interested in physics and astronomy, the next I'm leaning towards biology and things of that nature. And sometimes psychology as well.

Well, that's some stuff about me. When I'm home by myself, you can usually find me practicing a fighting game, reading a book, or trying to play an RPG that I'll never get around to finishing until years from now.

Oh yeah. It might help if I posted the pictures I said I was going to.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v479/FadedSun/Roscoandme006.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v479/FadedSun/tuxedo.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v479/FadedSun/Roscotub002.jpg

"Oh, a hunter..."
Losfer
Bearded Scumlord

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2008, 05:56:35 PM »

I'M SERIOUS ABOUT EVERYTHING I SAY ON THE INTERNET.

AND THAT INCLUDES MY HATRED FOR QUEERS.

RINGS ARE FOR FINGERS.

No, not really.  I have nothing against gay folk, just like I have nothing against blacks or Jews.  I just abuse the harshest cursing I possibly can.

If I had my own choice, I would have chosen to be a woman myself.  The female form is the most beautious thing imaginable and I'd love to cast myself in that image if possible.

Maybe robots will let me have my chance.  When's that technological singularity coming round again?  Twenty to 120 years from now?  I might be around for that.  :P

COME ON I WANT TITS*

*and to retain my tackle

Bloodstar6078

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2008, 06:23:27 PM »

lol... um... okay.

ive been in a slow downward spiral for quite some time now. my emotional and mental health is lacking these days. videogames provide such potent escapism that i dont alow my self to think on it,and ive been unemployed for a good year. the overt feminism i display is in fact born of my desire to not want to seem weak compared to my male counterparts,and because i have such a competative nature i want to be better than them. i sometimes feel like ET in that atari game where you fall in the hole and cant get out. people have thrown me ropes but i was content and didnt pull myself outnow those ropes are slowly disapearing.

it feels good to get that out of my system. i only hope soon i can begin to pull myself out.

Holy crap. If you need some counseling just let me know...

Seriously though you just reminded me of something else I could say about myself. I'm a major depressive. I can't go into the details here because I need to go to class right now but... yeah it has made some of the best years of my life into the worst. Thankfully I'm doing pretty good right now. I'm just focused on school and life is for the most part good.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2008, 06:50:10 PM »

Quote from: "Alisha"

My advice is to know who you are. Lots of people think they know themselves but in fact are fooling themselves. You don't need to prove anything to anyone but yourself. Don't pretend to be what you aren't, just be what you are.

Prime Mover

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2008, 07:48:13 PM »

So many people use the phrase, "just be yourself." That's one of the most retarded (excuse my language) sayings I've ever heard. I want to beat the crap out of anyone who says that. People are made up of many masks and many personalities, it's just who they are. If they act a certain way around some people, it's because it's part of their personality to put up a mask. It may be unhealthy, it might be healthy. We all do it all the time.

The question isn't one of authenticity, but of how healthy that particular character trait is. Furthermore, I don't think this advice particularly applies to Alicia, from what she said. None of us are psychologists (at least I don't think we are), and even if we were, the internet is NOT a good medium for therepy. Encouragement is about the best we can hope for.

My appologies to Alicia for discussing your situation in this manner.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2008, 08:22:27 PM »

Being yourself and knowing yourself are two different things.

Try not being a stuck up, pretentious dolt once in a while. You'll find it'll relieve that pain in your ass.

Prime Mover

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2008, 09:21:32 PM »

Quote from: "Leyviur"
Try not being a stuck up, pretentious dolt once in a while. You'll find it'll relieve that pain in your ass.

Me? I am a pain in the ass... but not MY ass. I have no pain. Now, maybe I'm a pain in YOUR ass, but hey... at least my ass feels fine, and that's what counts.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Willy Elektrix
Lord of the Sword

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2008, 09:41:55 PM »

Quote from: "Dincrest"
Willy, you can check out more of Ronzo's work here: http://www.ronscire.com/artwork-Ronzo.php

Sadly of a lot of the stuff I scoped out on his website, that painting you have for your avatar is the only one that really hits me. It's interesting - it's kind of fantastic and surreal, and faceless figure has a lot of presence somehow.

Merkava

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2008, 09:57:27 PM »

Quote from: "Prime Mover"
So many people use the phrase, "just be yourself." That's one of the most retarded (excuse my language) sayings I've ever heard. I want to beat the crap out of anyone who says that. People are made up of many masks and many personalities, it's just who they are. If they act a certain way around some people, it's because it's part of their personality to put up a mask. It may be unhealthy, it might be healthy. We all do it all the time.

The question isn't one of authenticity, but of how healthy that particular character trait is. Furthermore, I don't think this advice particularly applies to Alicia, from what she said. None of us are psychologists (at least I don't think we are), and even if we were, the internet is NOT a good medium for therepy. Encouragement is about the best we can hope for.

My appologies to Alicia for discussing your situation in this manner.

I believe, from my own experience, my interaction with others, and my acting experience, that the truest and most common trait in humans is the wearing of masks. Everyone accounts for something they know about themselves, and like Leyviur said, knowing yourself and being yourself are two different things. The danger of wearing a mask for so long without checking yourself is forgetting what you are covering up. Asking someone to be themselves is counter-intuitive; it goes against our ability to adapt and to interact with anyone other than our perfect clones.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2008, 10:04:05 PM »

Quote from: "Prime Mover"
Quote from: "Leyviur"

Me? I am a pain in the ass... but not MY ass. I have no pain. Now, maybe I'm a pain in YOUR ass, but hey... at least my ass feels fine, and that's what counts.

You're not important enough to be a pain in anyone's ass. I was talking about that stick up your ass. Any further up and you'll start hemorrhaging.

Prime Mover

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2008, 10:42:12 PM »

Well-said, Merkava. I just find it funny (and annoying), that in every teenage hollywood film, where there's some kid going out on his first date, some friend or parent has to make the "just be your self" speech. It's become a social cliche. Unfortunately, it's become so common that I've heard people use it in real life... even tell it to me, and for NO REASON. It's like one of those things that certain people just feel required to say these days.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: