Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 28, 2014, 11:28:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329847 Posts in 13521 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Tell me something...
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 16 Print
Author Topic: Tell me something...  (Read 26642 times)
Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: February 13, 2008, 04:10:45 AM »

Quote from: "sandiny0ursh0es"
...and I always wonder if video game forums are as homophobic as they seem to be.

Seriously, we're not. If it seems like we easily hate people, it's because we're usually equal opportunity haters. Oh and the Badge below is by no means meant to be derogatory, it's clearly to belittle me on behalf of the lovely Darkrider.

But yeah.....seeing people toss the terms gay, fag, etc around really annoys me too, but then again, using Retarded as a "term of annoyance" is pretty bad as well...but seems like it's used a hell of a lot more.

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: February 13, 2008, 07:37:53 AM »

When it comes to self, it's one thing that psychologists, philosophers, spiritualists, and everyone else has been pondering since mankind discovered consciousness.  The discovery of self is an interesting thing.  

One thing that's contradictory is that part of "being" yourself is being able to accept, even embrace, alternatives without getting defensive.  Many of those alternatives are within you, but don't feel like you.  This could also be partially why so many people become resistant and reach impasses during therapy.  They're moving away from the "self" they've known for decades.  But it's not identity that's being dropped.  It's baggage that's being dropped and behind the baggage is aspects of yourself that you had in you the whole time but never realized it because it was under all that baggage.  Dropping the baggage is stressful and you want it back like a security blanket since that's what you know, but once you work through it and have that "a ha!" moment, it's quite liberating.  Given the nature of emotional baggage and how ingrained it is within us, that's why therapy can take years.  You can't solve a lifetime of issues in one hour.  That's why I think Dr. Phil is the biggest crock of shit out there and IMO gives real honest professional therapists and counselors a bad name.  

Psychological change is tough.  Just like there's pain before gain when working out your muscles, it's the same with working out your psychological being.

Guess I should stay on topic with another Nealy fact.  I'm still searching for that perfect bass string.  I've tried a ton and I'm still searching for "the one."

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: February 13, 2008, 08:34:35 AM »

its easy to say you dont need to prove anything to anyone,but i probally have attention issues being the oldest in a family of 7 siblings. i also have a serious case of pride combined with being a double minority(mixed race lesbian) i sometimes wonder if its healthy to identify as black in public but white in private. for the record i am seeking counseling and rehabilitation. recently took a psych evaluation. waiting to see how things proceed from here.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: February 13, 2008, 02:03:27 PM »

Quote from: "Prime Mover"
Quote from: "sandiny0ursh0es"
I'm actually gay, and I always wonder if video game forums are as homophobic as they seem to be.

However, I've seen "faggot" very little on internet forums

You must have never browsed the official world of warcraft forums (which is a good thing).  I'd say "faggot" is used as much as the word "the" =P

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: February 13, 2008, 02:38:32 PM »

Isn't a faggot a cigarette. Lighten up!

No pun intended.
Losfer
Bearded Scumlord

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: February 13, 2008, 05:40:57 PM »

I always had suspicions in the UK whenever a co-worker would say he's heading out back for a "crafty fag".

Merkava

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: February 14, 2008, 10:01:11 PM »

Actually, having a brother who has Asperger syndrome, I find the use of "retarded" really offensive. That's not to say I don't occasionally use the word myself, but I feel horrible every time. Since its meaning has changed to "stupid" or "annoying," even hearing the word in its original context hits me the wrong way.

As for the word "faggot," one of my gay friends believes that, if he does not take offense to the word, it looses its negative connotation. I think this is an interesting way of approaching the problem, as it uses rules already proven effective and reverses them. I believe other words have lost their effectiveness in a similar way over the years.
Degolas

sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: February 15, 2008, 05:56:11 AM »

Quote from: "Losfer"
I always had suspicions in the UK whenever a co-worker would say he's heading out back for a "crafty fag".

We also eat pork faggots! Well, I don't because they're gross, but some people do!

'Faggot' isn't really used over here. It's starting to become more common due to the sheer amount of American film and television we see though.

I had a stupid dream
that I could change things.

Check out my YouTube videos!: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Degolas
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: February 15, 2008, 02:45:00 PM »

I'd like to think that most people aren't homophobic.  The thing is, you can't tell who is homosexual and who isn't.  I'm 'ethnically ambiguous' myself, and when someone says the n-word, I say nothing.  My friends are usually the ones to laugh and say "hey, he's half black, you got a problem with him?!" just to see the person squirm... "Oh, I didn't know!  I didn't mean it, I'm so sorry!"

I don't think the gay words are much of an issue in reality, just like racist words.  

Are there any sounds that mean one thing in one language, and then mean a curse word in another language?  That's what it would be like.

Sticks and stones.

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: February 15, 2008, 03:09:40 PM »

There was a car name, I think it was a chevy, and the name of the car in mexico was basically shit if I remember correctly.
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: February 15, 2008, 05:38:03 PM »

Fei, I have to admit, I completely dissagree about language usage. Language means everything, it's how we present ourselves to the world. I think words can define cultural trends, and subconciously shape the way we look at the world. I always hated the "sticks and stones" axiom, because I think the words are probably the single most devisive weapon that human beings have. Obviously, context is everything.

Here's a question to you, if you act like a word isn't offensive, it's the same as you not being there to rebuke it, right? Millions of people use racist/homophobic/sexist words on a daily basis with their friends, as a way of acting exclusive within their social groups. Even not being there, hatreds will build up. Not saying anything is probably the most dangerous course of action, in my opinion, because it allows people to continue to build up their exclusionary principals.

Some would throw up their hands and say, "but what can you do?" but I say that's just a lazy response. If you really want human beings to grow and become more inclusive, and you believe, as I do, that words are a powerful and destructive weapon, than you have a responsibility to stand up for those principals.

I guess we just have different ideas of the purpose and destructiveness of communication. But hey, I'm in advertising... subliminal messages and nuances in meaning are my #1 concern.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 17, 2008, 11:58:43 AM »

I really want to contribute to the serious discussion, but everything I think of looks stupid when I type it out.  Good luck, Tsundere.  Being a teenager is tough, and the only good news is that it ends at some point.  You know, when you are 20. :)

Quote from: "daschrier"
There was a car name, I think it was a chevy, and the name of the car in mexico was basically shit if I remember correctly.

I think you're thinking of the Nova, which if you split it up to "no va" literally means "it doesn't go."

They also make the Cortina, which cracks me up because it means "curtain."

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Takezo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: February 25, 2008, 05:28:08 PM »

Quote from: "Alisha"
i sometimes wonder if its healthy to identify as black in public but white in private.

Not if it's because (being multiracial myself) deep down you probably like the thought of socially removing yourself from other blacks, because it doesn't quite match up with whatever alternative/anime/lols world you've envisioned yourself as part of. You'll never be truly comfortable with yourself until you can take pride in who you are. It'll never change. This transcends ethnicity in many ways, but it's something you need to acknowledge.

I'm part black-indian, english, spanish, basically anything you can think of (on the plus side I've got height and amazing hair, on the negative my hair has a mind of it's own) and for ages I would associate primarily with my white friends/parents, etc, but it isn't 'healthy'. I couldn't accept who I was and those feelings degraded into seeing myself as 'white'. Which as I got older lead to me realizing that it doesn't mean anything! In truth, there isn't so much a 'white' identity as there is a generic middle-class one, which at the end of the day isn't much to aspire to.
Lord Scottish

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: February 25, 2008, 06:49:25 PM »

I have a slight fear of dogs.
Merkava

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: February 25, 2008, 09:02:38 PM »

I have a slight fear of people who have a slight fear of dogs.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 16 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: