Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 20, 2014, 12:55:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329213 Posts in 13490 Topics by 2177 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Game Journal #2 on the new(ish) boards
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 Print
Author Topic: Game Journal #2 on the new(ish) boards  (Read 71039 times)
everluck

stay positive!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #480 on: September 04, 2006, 02:24:54 AM »

I've been playing a lot of Dead Rising. I love it. It's fun to just run around with a chainsaw and hack into people indiscriminately :P

It's a lot tougher than I expected. The "one save" thing, which has been criticized beyond all hell, is, in my opinion, a stroke of genius. Eurogamer's review was pretty much spot-on.

[/url]
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #481 on: September 04, 2006, 02:41:37 AM »

I have yet to play the full version, but I figure the 'one save' thing is going to work along the lines of DQ's save system.

And, err, it IS one save per profile, correct? I can't imagine it being it for all profiles, since Microsoft probably has control over that crap, but it'll really suck for me and my brother if it isn't one per profile.
Losfer
Bearded Scumlord

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #482 on: September 04, 2006, 08:37:41 AM »

Well, we got a DS for Myau's birthday, so we've been playing lots of that lately.  We've got Nintendogs, Dig Dug, Project Rub, and Brain Training, which all are fun puzzle action.  Plus last week we absconded Magna Carta and Grandia II from a local Gamestation and just this weekend, we managed to find a copy of Suikoden Tactics for 15 quid.  Haven't played it yet, but we have the next few days off, so I'll be starting that up shortly.  Oh, and I also got Myau a copy of .Hack//Infection for her birthday that needs to be started...

YAY HUGE PARAGRAPHS.

I want New Super Mario Bros.  :(

everluck

stay positive!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #483 on: September 04, 2006, 11:25:52 AM »

Quote from: "Eusis"
I have yet to play the full version, but I figure the 'one save' thing is going to work along the lines of DQ's save system.

And, err, it IS one save per profile, correct? I can't imagine it being it for all profiles, since Microsoft probably has control over that crap, but it'll really suck for me and my brother if it isn't one per profile.

Yeah, one per profile. I keep reading in reviews that the whole save system is "broken." It's not. That's just the way it is. The game does what it's supposed to do brilliantly.

[/url]
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #484 on: September 05, 2006, 03:31:36 PM »

Forgot to post that I beat Zero 3 awhile back. So, well. I beat it. :P

Got Sigma Star Saga for 10 bucks at GameStop, and been playing it. Fun, but I feel the field combat is a bit clunky (maybe I'll have a better weapon latter), and /really/ don't like the concept of random encounter ship fights. They stood out more in Guardian Legends via having better design and not being whored out like this. But hey, at least I level up and stuff by doing them.
Superflat
Podcast Mom

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #485 on: September 05, 2006, 07:51:27 PM »

Finally beat San Andreas today after realizing that there is a checkpoint halfway through the final mission (I had previously reloaded my game in a fit of rage after losing at an easy part many times as opposed to just retrying the mission). So that's one to add to the list.

In addition, my friend got me a copy of Disgaea 2 for my belated birthday which I am enjoying greatly. Roughly four hours in, so there is not much in the way of plot development, but I got castrated by the map in Zenon's Castle with 7 thieves and 3 fighters and decided to stop there for dinner.
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #486 on: September 05, 2006, 08:06:27 PM »

I've been playing a lot of 'Enchanted Arms' and 'Resident Evil 4' (PS2) but I grabbed a copy of Xenosaga: Ep III today so I'll probably spend at least a couple of days with that one too.  I'm all over the place when it comes to gaming, I'll play something religously for a while then move on to something else.  Short attention span I guess....:P

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
sandiny0ursh0es

sandiny0ursh0es
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #487 on: September 06, 2006, 01:39:55 AM »

I gave Stella Deus a break and moved on to my unfinished file of Baten Kaitos which I finally beat yesterday. Took ~50 hours. I must say, it does take a while for the game to pick up. And the battle system started to grow on me after awhile, although it could get really annoying when your deck doesn't cooperate with you and makes battles way longer than they're supposed to be. Story was alright, your standard RPG fare with a few twists, but I loved the graphical presentation of the game. It really is a beautiful game. I have to say my favorite town to visit was the Confectionary Village (aka Candyland). It's sad that there weren't any FMV sequences throughout the game, at least I don't remember there being any. And was it just me or did the voice acting sound weird, like there was a technical problem with all the voices?

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #488 on: September 06, 2006, 01:49:34 AM »

Quote from: "sandiny0ursh0es"
And was it just me or did the voice acting sound weird, like there was a technical problem with all the voices?

It's not you (unless you mean the battle voices too), they intentionally made it sound like they were talking into a can. My guess is that it was to create the sense that you weren't really there, and were listening through another. Personally, the voice acting on a whole sucked so I kept it off; I kinda liked it feeling more like a 32-bit RPG as a result, even if I didn't like much else about the game.
sandiny0ursh0es

sandiny0ursh0es
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #489 on: September 06, 2006, 03:14:19 AM »

Heh, that makes a lot more sense now that you mention it. Definitely goes with the whole "outsider spirit helping out with the quest" dealie. It felt awkward though when in the ending,
Code:
they all started talking to you and waving goodbye. Was kinda disturbing actually. And I remember in one point during the game, Kalas was all "Go back to your reality!" I was a little insulted, haha.

Losfer
Bearded Scumlord

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #490 on: September 06, 2006, 12:05:25 PM »

Suikoden Tactics.

Code:
Rocks.

Yes, I know, huge spoilers!

GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #491 on: September 06, 2006, 02:01:38 PM »

I'm hunting for Beavers!

In Suiko V. Ya know....the beaver folk. I need to find them.

what?

Playing:
Reading: Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson
sandiny0ursh0es

sandiny0ursh0es
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #492 on: September 07, 2006, 06:35:35 AM »

Ended up beating Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga today which was a nice little romp. I definitely enjoyed the gameplay and how it made me rely on skill and timing as opposed to powerleveling or whatever.

Now I'm shuffling between the following games: Stella Deus, FF:Crystal Chronicles, and Sigma Star Saga. I'm really tempted to just put these all on the backburner, buy the third Shadow Hearts, and devote my time to play that. But I promised myself I would beat the stockpile of games I already own. So I probably won't be playing SH until next summer or something. Heh.

Krelian

pmtome@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #493 on: September 07, 2006, 01:02:27 PM »

I gave a break to growlanser III in a death point and just start to play xenosaga 3 , only read the resume of the older games and start to play a bit, is nice they back to the older gameplay more or less and back to have the datebase in the game

Sona mi areru ec sancitu
Sketch
Sam I Am
Contributing Editor

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #494 on: September 07, 2006, 11:59:01 PM »

Just finished up Chapter 7 in Xenosaga III. I'm still having loads of fun with it. I'm really hooked on the story, and the way it's being told.

I'll probably wrap it up this weekend, assuming the second disk isn't as long as the first.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: