Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 26, 2014, 10:01:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338559 Posts in 13857 Topics by 2215 Members
Latest Member: RPGtourguide
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Game Journal #2 on the new(ish) boards
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 34 Print
Author Topic: Game Journal #2 on the new(ish) boards  (Read 72267 times)
Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #225 on: June 07, 2006, 09:45:28 PM »

Made it to Ascantha Castle in Dragon Quest VIII and stopped there. Just under ten hours in and my Hero is level 16.

*Jimmy is dancing uncontrollably.* - LOL!
*Jimmy is still dancing uncontrollably.* HAHAHAHAHA!

I also thought it was pretty funny that Jessica has a skill set called "Sex Appeal." Naturally I've been leveling that shit up. Monsters have often been admiring her instead of attacking and it is hilarious.

I love the soundtrack too.

EDIT: Forgot to mention I've decided to have my Hero's skill allocation be pretty much dedicated to Spears and Courage. I don't know how good the Spears will be later in the game, but I have an affinity to spears (Thanks to FFIV) so that's why.
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #226 on: June 08, 2006, 10:02:42 AM »

DQVIII - played almost 3 hours last night. Clock is now just over 93 hours.
Code:
Played through the black citadel. beat Rap, then Ruin. Now I've gotta find a bunch of orbs. This game doesn't know when to end.

I'm not as enamored with the game as some people around here.
Too damn long. Music is ok in the beginning, but gets tiresome when you hear the same track in every freaking town and dungeon.
Jimmy, I'm not sure about spears as I started out using boomerangs, then wisely switched over to swords.
Jessicas Sex Appeal is a good thing to juice up. The last thing she gets is pretty damn good.

EDIT: DQ VIII is complete. final time was 95:33. This was without doing any real amount of sidequests or messing around with much of anything. I'm a slow player who played a long game.
I'm pretty happy with the ending, but also a bit melancholy. I've been playing this game since Christmas! I'm going to miss it.
Code:
Finding the orbs was pretty easy and not very time consuming, so I can't complain. I found Rapthorne to be pretty easy. Hero and Yangus attack while Jess and Angelo heal. repeat a zillion times = Rapthorne dead.
I liked the typical adventure type ending where the beautiful princess runs away with the vagabond. Medea is one hot piece of.....polygons?
[quote]
Good, not great, game.
I picked up God of War, so that is next.
Suiko V is my next RPG.
[/quote]

Playing: DA: Inquisition
Reading: Mistbron#3: Hero of Ages
CluelessWonder

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #227 on: June 09, 2006, 02:06:40 PM »

Steambot Chronicles -  I went to pick up the flag but decided to stop over in Wagtail Canyon.  I'm mining fossils right now.

Currently Playing:  Brave Story:  New Traveler, various ios games

Currently Reading: 

Recently Beat: Shivah, Tales of the World:  Radiant Mythology, Thief
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #228 on: June 09, 2006, 07:15:34 PM »

I just downloaded a demo of this game called Aveyond.  It's a homebrew game I discovered on accident and I think some people at RPGfan mentioned it in some places.  

http://amaranthia.com/

Impressions will be posted.  So far, I'm looking forward to it.  I've always loved strong female protagonists and it's been a while since I played a game with one.

EDIT:  Impressions are in the computer RPG forum.  In short, Aveyond is very good and Ahriman's Prophecy is good as well.  I decided to splurge on Aveyond.  A damn good indie homebrewed RPG that costs about as much as a music CD from Sam Goody?  I'm in.  The Aveyond demo sold me.

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #229 on: June 09, 2006, 10:47:36 PM »

I'm to the Swordsman's Labyrinth in DQVIII. Game clock is at thirteen hours and a good hour of that was from me wandering around looking for the hill that led to the Land of Dreams or whatever it was called. I'm also a bit over-leveled because of all the wandering around I did and am owning most enemies with ease. Anyway, I really liked the sequence with King Pavan of Ascantha after I found the hill and made it to the top, it was just very well done.

EDIT: It really figures that when I change the armor on one of the male characters there is no noticeable difference to their model, but when I change Jessica's armor she is in a skimpy dress and bikini top. Crazy ass Japanese...
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: June 09, 2006, 10:58:04 PM »

There's armor you can earn to change the hero's appearance, but that may require too much effort. And... Jessica's only got three alternative outfits, and one of them's just impractical as armor.
Sketch
Sam I Am

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #231 on: June 10, 2006, 12:12:59 AM »

Alright, so I finally beat Atelier Iris 2 two days ago. The final boss was wicked easy compared to the one in the first game. I was expecting something freakishly hard in AI2 also, but whatever. I'm still curious what the gameover screen looks like :P
I would have done the extra dungeon and battle arena things after beating the game, except the game froze up on me while I was fighting in the arena. That's when I threw in the towel and popped the disc out for good.

Anyway, now I'm playing Kingdom Hearts 2, which is totally freaking sweet. I played 12 hours in two day, so I'm thinking I'll be done with this sucker pretty soon.

Code:
Just got done with the Timeless River, and have to chose between the Little Mermaid and Pirates of the Carribean levels next.

I have no idea what the hell happened within the first 4 hours, but whatever. It was still awesome :P
beans
Cool Hand

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #232 on: June 10, 2006, 01:10:12 AM »

Jessica has more then three alternative outfits from what I recall.  I'm thinking six, are there more?

It would have been nice to have 2-3 alternate outfits per character.

Still trying to shoot the damn dog in Duck Hunt.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: June 10, 2006, 01:13:50 AM »

Well, I could be wrong. I only remember...
Code:
... the outfit she wore when you met her, the dance girl outfit, and the bunny outfit. Of course, her default outfit for 4 total.
beans
Cool Hand

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #234 on: June 10, 2006, 09:51:48 AM »

Also,
Code:
The Dangerous Bustier, the Divine Bustier and the Magical Bikini

Far as I know those are all her outfits(wasn't counting her standard before, so that would be 7), those being all the outfits that changed her appearance that I can remember.

Still trying to shoot the damn dog in Duck Hunt.
Sazabirules

xTheRedCometx
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #235 on: June 11, 2006, 08:58:32 PM »

I progressed a little bit in Path of Radiance today. I just the second battle where you have to defend the square at that castle in Gallia. I am pissed off that I lost my archer and my tank.
Superflat
Podcast Mom

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #236 on: June 11, 2006, 11:28:04 PM »

Being the tard pack that I am, I thought that the best thing to cure my WoW addiction would be to... start playing Maple Story! Well, I didn't actually think it was a cure, but I did start playing and I kinda got addicted. But before that happened, I was able to find an amazing server for GRAW, and had loads of fun playing. And yes, I still need to get through my backlog.
Sketch
Sam I Am

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #237 on: June 12, 2006, 01:10:35 AM »

I've been playing the heck out of Kingdom Hearts 2. It's still freaking awesome, but the novelty of it being so awesome has sort of worn down since the beginning of the game. I'm glad to see more of Organization XIII, since running around aimlessly between Disney worlds was getting a bit tiresome. I didn't feel as though I was getting anything done :P

Code:
I'm now starting to do my second rounds through each of the worlds, and have so far finished off Mulan, Beast, and Hercules' worlds again. I've been neglecting to do Gummy Ship stuff, but I doubt I'll get around to doing it. It takes too damn long to build a good ship...

I think I'm starting up Final Fantasy Tactics again after I finish this up.
Haven

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #238 on: June 13, 2006, 01:48:43 PM »

Well, its been a wild week for me.

I have been playing Star Ocean 3 and I just got to the mines where you have to get the copper. The dragons in there are a mixed bag it seems. One fight I will stomp them in like six seconds, the next fight with the same amount of mobs takes like two minutes. Its this varying degree of difficulty, or as I like to call it, cheapness, that is making me not want to play it anymore. I just take a break and come back and it is all good, but it doesnt have that "cant put it down" quality I have come to love in my RPGs.

I have also been playing a little bit of DQ8 while I am not playing SO3 and I just finished t he events in the snow area, where they all talk like Russians. Gotta love the Russian accents they have.

I am also falling out of love with WoW. I just cant seem to find the right guild. I guess I have always envisioned a good guild with just 40-45 people who always play together, not 75 people and maybe you go and maybe you dont. That really gets my goat. I rush home from work and get all pumped, sign up on the website days before anyone else, and then I get the "opps, we over invited and didnt see that you had signed up, so wait outside the instance and wait until someone leaves". Ick.

Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #239 on: June 13, 2006, 03:03:16 PM »

Someone needs to join a new server....say....NORGANNON.

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 34 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: