Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 27, 2014, 02:45:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338633 Posts in 13861 Topics by 2215 Members
Latest Member: RPGtourguide
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Game Journal #2 on the new(ish) boards
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 34 Print
Author Topic: Game Journal #2 on the new(ish) boards  (Read 72279 times)
Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #285 on: June 24, 2006, 06:07:00 PM »

Almost 70 hours into DQVIII. I think this is hands down the longest amount of time I've put into a game in a single playthrough. Anyway, Empyrea has sent me running around the world to collect orbs, and after that I guess I'll finish the game...at least I hope this is the end.

EDIT: Okay, just finished the game. Decent ending and a fun game, what more could I ask for?

Or so I thought.

Code:
Now I'm curious as to what that place near Baccarat is doing all lit up and stuff, so I may have to go and check that out.
Merkava

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #286 on: June 24, 2006, 10:11:33 PM »

Quote from: "Eusis"
Quote from: "Merkava"
Code:
Ocelot was a pussy back then. Also, usually I look forward to the little "plot twist phone-call" that happens at the end of each game, and usually I get chills, but when this game finished, I realized that there wasn't anything nearly as outstanding or chilling as the first two. It was like "Ocelot's ADAM? Who's ADAM?"

Err...
Code:
They brought that back up in the ending, shortly before the credit roll - Two NSA codebreakers supposedly defected to the USSR, 'Adam' and 'Eva'. Adam - Ocelot - was supposed to meet with Snake when he arrived. Instead, the fake Eva - Tatyana- got there first, and killed Ocelot's troops. I don't think anyone knew who 'Eva' was supposed to be, aside from the fact the codename applied to a man, but I think he may've been dead prior. Tatyana used Snake's ignorance on who was who to play the role of Eva and hopefully get the Philosopher's Legacy. Obviously, that fell through.

Code:
Oh, I found all that out right after beating the game. The point was that I had to look it up. When I found out Ocelot was actually ADAM, I was like, "so?" It was kind of a let down when compared to the first game's "Yes, Mr. President/Solidus" and "the Patriots have been dead for years" revelations.
Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #287 on: June 25, 2006, 12:39:47 PM »

Alright, so I went and checked out that hill by Baccarat and was pleasantly surprised. I even did the first Dragovian Trial. Anyway, the alternate ending for doing that wasn't much more satisfying, but it was better. I don't understand why they didn't make the Dragovian Sanctuary part of the main game though. Oh well, I'm finished with DQVIII now. Game clock was just over seventy-four hours.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #288 on: June 26, 2006, 05:31:56 PM »

Went to pick up Parasite Eve from GameStop this Saturday, but it was gone, despite what the inventory checker claimed. However, Tomba was there, so I got that instead.

Really enjoying it, even if it can be a bitch at times. I rented it back when it came out and meant to get it, but never did.
Degolas

sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #289 on: June 26, 2006, 06:44:32 PM »

Tombi! (as it's called over here!) I love that game so damn much.

Oblivion - Is still very great. Went to Bravil for the first time, burgled everything of value in the church and sold it off!

I had a stupid dream
that I could change things.

Check out my YouTube videos!: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Degolas
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #290 on: June 27, 2006, 09:04:04 AM »

I think I'm done with suikoden v. I've spent 25 hours on it and have found nothing worth playing for....so glad I never spent ebay prices on suikoden 2 when so many people say V is as good as 2 is...
CluelessWonder

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #291 on: June 27, 2006, 11:52:17 AM »

I love Tomba too!  Oddly enough, the second game is my favorite game on the PS1.  I even replayed it, which is a big deal since I hardly ever do that with games.

Currently Playing:  Brave Story:  New Traveler, various ios games

Currently Reading: 

Recently Beat: Shivah, Tales of the World:  Radiant Mythology, Thief
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #292 on: June 27, 2006, 01:31:05 PM »

Quote from: Jimmy
I was running around killing Liquid Metal and King Metal Slimes for about four hours last night.

You say this like it's an easy thing to do. I think I was only able to kill a couple liquids, and the few Kings I ran into took off right away.
I chuckled when you wrote how you were tired of the game after a couple weeks(maybe?). Play it for 96 hours over 5 months and come back to me.

Anyway...
I am still playing God of War. Doing Posiedons challenge now. This game is bad ass.

Playing: DA: Inquisition
Reading: Mistbron#3: Hero of Ages
Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #293 on: June 27, 2006, 02:06:11 PM »

Quote from: "GrimReality"
Quote from: "Jimmy"
I was running around killing Liquid Metal and King Metal Slimes for about four hours last night.

You say this like it's an easy thing to do. I think I was only able to kill a couple liquids, and the few Kings I ran into took off right away.
I chuckled when you wrote how you were tired of the game after a couple weeks(maybe?). Play it for 96 hours over 5 months and come back to me.

Yea it is an easy thing to do with skill points allocated to spears. There is an ability called Lightning Thrust that guarantees a critical if the attack hits. King Metal Slimes have twenty hit points, but when I do 200+ damage with Lightning Thrust it makes their HP a moot point.

And I get tired of most games after about forty hours. I just don't think there is any reason for them to be seventy hours or more. Although I didn't really get tired of DQVIII, I don't see why the game had to be so long with it's mediocre story and characters. Admittedly, I could have shaved a few hours off my completion time if I hadn't leveled up for a while, but even then I see no reason why the game was so long.
Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #294 on: June 27, 2006, 02:32:28 PM »

Quote from: "daschrier"
I think I'm done with suikoden v. I've spent 25 hours on it and have found nothing worth playing for....so glad I never spent ebay prices on suikoden 2 when so many people say V is as good as 2 is...

I am so sorry for you.

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #295 on: June 27, 2006, 02:37:56 PM »

I'm not, I'll just find something else I enjoy doing. Political stories don't do anything for me, I find them rather predictable, plus lucretia drives me insane.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #296 on: June 27, 2006, 04:42:12 PM »

Personally, I think that While SuikV may be the best current-gen Suikoden (though I'll probably be fondest of SuikIII for some retarded ass reason), I much preferred SuikII over V. But I have yet to beat V, so that may change... Though I think taking this long, while I blitzed through SuikII in a week, and again in the week after, seals it. :P
Marshmallow

OH NO OH NO OH NO

AuroMarshmallow
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #297 on: June 27, 2006, 10:26:06 PM »

Yeah, while I really enjoyed Suikoden V, it was just too easy for it to become my favorite. This was due in part to the fact that most of the best runes you can get are available for purchase at some point in the game. When you can slap Double Edge and Fury runes onto every character it doesn't make the game a very big challenge.

With Suikoden II you have to /work/ for each and every rune you get, because most of the really good ones are around a 2% drop, and certain good ones you can only get at fixed points in the game. For as long as I can remember, I spend hours everytime I start a new Suikoden II game hunting for Double Beat runes at North Sparrow Pass early in the game. The most I've ever gotten there at any point was 3, however.

Superflat
Podcast Mom

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #298 on: June 28, 2006, 01:30:17 AM »

While I havn't played SuikV or WoW in the past day or two (I hit 20 hours in Suik and had other things to do than WoW), I played up to the first Dual Screen mission in Advance Wars and just got DoA4 as my second and final birthday game earlier today (roughly 14 hours ago). Since I have recieved it, I have played for roughly 11 hours. Yes, I suck. It's rather addicting, and I enjoy the fast pace in comparison to most fighting games. I've beaten the story mode with all characters. I also got 125 achievement points in the process (mostly character unlocks and length of play achievements). I dabbled in the online mode, but I found there to be a decent amount of lag, severely hampering the experience. I don't think that's the case all the time, though, as most people I know have been enjoying the online play.
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #299 on: June 28, 2006, 08:13:48 AM »

Quote from: "Marshmallow"
Yeah, while I really enjoyed Suikoden V, it was just too easy for it to become my favorite. This was due in part to the fact that most of the best runes you can get are available for purchase at some point in the game. When you can slap Double Edge and Fury runes onto every character it doesn't make the game a very big challenge.

With Suikoden II you have to /work/ for each and every rune you get, because most of the really good ones are around a 2% drop, and certain good ones you can only get at fixed points in the game. For as long as I can remember, I spend hours everytime I start a new Suikoden II game hunting for Double Beat runes at North Sparrow Pass early in the game. The most I've ever gotten there at any point was 3, however.

The game is easy without runes...and using skills, formations etc. Autobattle will beat the whole game for you for the most part.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 34 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: