Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2014, 10:53:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334812 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  1UP to replace numerical scoring with letter grades
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: 1UP to replace numerical scoring with letter grades  (Read 3606 times)
Lord Scottish

View Profile

Ignore
« on: February 18, 2008, 09:26:44 PM »

Because people are apparently too stupid to understand that 5.0 meant average.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008, 09:55:23 PM »

I heard about that awhile ago but never posted for whatever reason. I'm kinda fond of the numbers, but if the editors are happier with this then it's for the best.
Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2008, 10:25:15 PM »

Well, 5/10 is 50%, which'd be an F in school, so I can see why the scores could be misleading, I guess.

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2008, 11:02:19 PM »

If anything is below a 7/10, that's essentially an F, a bad game. No wonder why people think a game that's a 5/10 sucks. But, I always read the last paragraph to see if they'd even recommend the game...
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2008, 12:17:15 AM »

I can't think of a better way for the text of a review to be ignored than to plaster a big fucking C- at the top of it.

Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2008, 12:41:29 PM »

Quote from: "dalucifer0"
If anything is below a 7/10, that's essentially an F, a bad game.

Well... I'd say stuff scoring 6 or 6.5 is like a D.  Not good, but not an utter failure, either.  Games in that range can be fun, but only under certain circumstances (e.g. you really love that kind of game).  Below 6, though, it's just a variation on how badly it fails.  Is it playable but not fun (5), or is it actually not possible to even install the game (0)?

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Bloodstar6078

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2008, 04:20:45 PM »

I can't think of a better way for the text of a review to be ignored than to plaster a big fucking C- at the top of it.

I'm not sure if that was a joke or not but I laughed :P

Also, this sounds stupid to me. To me games in the six or seven range are average. Good, or okay but not great and not completely crap. So I fail to see how this is going to make things any different. It's like grades in school... B is the new C.
Superflat
Podcast Mom

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2008, 04:33:11 PM »

I personally liked that 1UP used 5 as the average game, although I can see why the general public perceives 7.0 as average. Time and Money are very limiting factors to gaming, and (most) people don't want to waste their time and money on bad games. I rarely buy a game that gets lower than a 7 simply because I don't want to waste my time. The grade system should accurately represent that if it works out well. Although, as Bloodstar said, B is the new C, so who knows what'll happen.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2008, 02:16:04 AM »

Seems the change finally went live if anyone's curious to see how various games have transitioned over. Amusingly, clicking back through over 10 pages hadn't yielded a C- unless I overlooked something, even though the rest of the spectrum seemed to be covered.

My personal opinions on scores though? Although these new letters seem nicer to me for some games (IE C+ for Gurumin rather than 6.5, I was interested to see that game since the review sold it to me despite the score), I think I ultimately agreed with EGM's scoring system the most, consider 8 to be pretty great but far from perfect, 7 to be pretty good but not an absolute must play, 6 to be decent fun but ultimately skippable, and whatnot. Perhaps it was just what I was most familiar with when I started paying attention to scores, having subscribed to EGM from about 95 to some time in 98. I am bugged when people piss and moan over 70 though and when it's devalued. Come on, that'd leave only the top 20% to be positive at all, and if something sucks I want to see it truly blasted with a bad score and review, not just a 50% or whatever.
Superflat
Podcast Mom

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2008, 03:52:46 PM »

For some reason I can't access the page using Firefox, and instead have to use IE. Hope they fix that soon.

As far as the grading goes, I don't quite like how they've done it. There's a conversion table on Joystiq and I thought that they were going to do the conventional school system (A=90s, B=80s, etc). It seems to me that all this does is confuse the educated reader (most of us here) who understood that a 5 meant average on their scale. And the fact that they're not using ALL of the available letters ticks me off; since when has a 90 not been equated with an A- ?!? Currently unused letters include: A-, B, C-, and D. Those are all immensely useful letters, especially the A- and the B.

Generally speaking, I don't like it. But maybe I'm too attached to the number scale.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2008, 04:49:13 PM »

Except they were saying before that C=Average and you knew that 5=Average, so it only makes sense for it to be 5=C. If you got a 50% in school it'd be a failing grade, not an average one, so comparing it to that doesn't really work. Besides, if they were to do it the way you want then that pretty much means all of their 5.5 and below games get lumped into F, and that just messes it all up. Speaking of the decimals, that's another reason they can't really do it that way: There are no 8.9s for B+s to account for, so all the +s below A+ would have gone unused except on new reviews. If they did this with IGN or probably more relevantly RPGFan then it would work.

I do wish they kept the original numbers along with the converted scoring though for older reviews, a reviewer might feel it's 9.5 but if they had the choice for letters give an A+. I'd also have liked F+ and F- for games that almost don't suck or are especially god awful.
Superflat
Podcast Mom

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2008, 06:07:41 PM »

I've realized that my problem is with the conversion of previous scores to the new letter system. Being in high school right now, a C is "average" but it's also a 75%. With 1up, the C is average, but it's more around a five. It's a very fundamental difference that I'm going to have to overcome.

EDIT: I've noticed that some of the user reviews and other non-converted rankings have A-'s, B's and etc. Maybe in the future, once the system has been in use for a while, we'll see it as a bit more normal.
Evil Gately
Cryotek

gatelytheevil1@aol.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2008, 06:24:42 PM »

If you are given a maximum of ten marks to award, and you give five of them, then I count that as a playable game. It does everything it set out to do, excels at nothing out of the ordinary, doesn't do anything spectacular, but doesn't fail, either.

And that's the important bit: "doesn't fail, either"

To quote GamesTM (Just about the only UK magazine worth buying these days, and even that's becoming more debatable by the month), as well as a few others' posts here, an average game should get an average mark. I've never understood why a game that rates, say, 76% in some publications would be utterly unplayable.

To me, a "marks-out-of-ten" system literally means titles should be awarded marks on how they fall into a scale from 0~10, zero being utter tosh (Rise of the Robots/E.T./etc), 10 utterly sublime (Metroid Prime/Lunar 2: Eternal Blue Complete/etc.), ie, not necessarily perfect, but getting pretty damned close!

In this case, I'd award Final Fantasy X~2 a 5/10. The graphics are undeniably gorgeous, but the story doesn't seem to have been localized that well, and seems quite awkward in parts (nothing as awkward as the Whistling Scene from FFX, but getting there!). The game plays well, with nice, fast-paced combat and some good character customization, but the plot is fairly contrived, and never really takes you anywhere unexpected. Basically, the pros and cons balance one another, without pushing it into the realms of crud or brilliance. Therefore, I feel a middling mark of 5 is appropriate in this case.

As the UK has quite a different grading system in our schools (A-G, with G counting as a pass, although C is still considered to be the benchmark. U is Ungraded, and therefore a fail), it seems a little alienating for such an internationally-read site like 1up to adopt such an Americanized system and expect their readers to get on with it.

But that's probably just the whinging English in me venting its frustration at living in the video-game third world.

...Again! :P

Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2008, 04:22:15 PM »

who cares really. a review rarely gives you the information you need to make a decision on a game anyways. im a fan of the dynasy/samurai warriors series and they regularly get scores in 5.0 range. the only time in recent memory a review conviced me to buy a game was this sites review of rouge galaxy by sensei phoenix since he kinda heralded the gameplay.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2008, 04:27:20 PM »

I can't believe this is being taken as actual "news". This is on the exact same bloody level as "American Airlines replaces longer spoons with shorter spoons".

IT'S STILL A FUCKING RATING. USE BADGERS FOR ALL I CARE!
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: