Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2014, 10:46:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334759 Posts in 13709 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Any goold old school turn-base RPGs lately?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Any goold old school turn-base RPGs lately?  (Read 2198 times)
Pcmaker

View Profile

Ignore
« on: February 21, 2008, 09:28:00 AM »

Any next-gen RPGs that are turn based come out lately that is worth playing? The new RPGs I've played try to do away with random battles and turn based combat.

I was trying to invite you, but you weren't online. I'll add you if you and me are both on at the same time. You can also ask anyone in the guild for an invite just type /who sparky and you'll get a list of the guild members that are online, you can ask one of them for an invite :D
Lord Dorkus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2008, 10:34:38 AM »

It depends on which system own or are planning to get.
On the PS3, you can import Disgaea 3. It should be region free. If you haven't done so you might as well give Enchanted Arm a try for the PS3 or 360. It's old but I kind of enjoyed. It should also be cheap for both systems. You can play it while your waiting for something like Eternal Sonata to be released on the PS3.

On the 360, Lost Odessey was just released. It's turn-based with random encounters but a low encounter rate or at least that is what it seems like to me.
It's older but you can give Blue Dragon a try if you haven't done so already. It's turn-based but you can see the enemies on the field and avoid them. Really old school.
Eternal Sonata which is turn-based but has elements that make the combat feel real time.
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2008, 09:23:08 PM »

Yeah, Lost Odyssey.

Also, Lost Odyssey.

If you want "old-school" it's just what the doctor ordered.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2008, 09:28:07 PM »

Mistwalker's RPGs, Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon are what you want or close enough. Lost Odyssey has random encounters but ditches the overworld if you care about that, while Blue Dragon has visible encounters but gives you an overworld. Blue Dragon also has fewer cutscenes if that bugs you.
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2008, 07:14:50 AM »

If handhelds count in your "next gen" then definitely check out Brave Story: New Traveler on the PSP.   It is a darn good Final Fantasy game, one of the better FF games in a long time.  Oh wait, Brave Story isn't FF?  Could've fooled me.  

The Playstation 2 also has its fair share of good turn based RPGs.  Some that have come out in 2007:
Persona 3
Ar Tonelico
Atelier Iris 3
Wild Arms 5

and Mana Khemia is coming out next month.

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2008, 03:43:29 PM »

Hell, if you do that then you'd have to include the DS, and that has Etrian Odyssey, about as old school as you can get. There's also Magical Starsign, FFIII (though I'm sure you're aware of that), and if you include monster training RPGs then there's Pokemon and DQM: Joker.
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2008, 03:50:34 PM »

Duh, I forgot the DS.  In that case, I think Naruto: Path of the Ninja is worth playing.  It's turn-based and all.  That was my pleasant surprise for 2007.  My review explains it all.  

But my main point is that regardless of "console generation" and what have you, there have been a healthy amount of turn-based JRPGs released in the last year and more still coming.

Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2008, 05:04:25 PM »

From the Naruto review: "This review is almost over? Believe it!"

I actually lol'd at that.  I keep seeing Naruto games out there, and none of them are what I'm looking for - a decent RPG.  This one had completely escaped my notice, so I'm glad you mentioned it.  I'll probably pick it up now.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2008, 05:37:08 PM »

If you have a DS, I recommend its titles.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2008, 06:44:02 PM »

Yeah, DS fo sho. I was incredibly pleased with Magical Starsign. That's a GREAT one to play...seriously, Brownie Brown does much better with their own IPs than when they're hired out by Square Enix to work on "Mana"-related projects.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2008, 06:45:56 PM »

Mother 3 turned out well from what I played of it, though that basically just reinforces your point that they're better when not working for SE.
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2008, 06:47:44 PM »

Quote from: "Eusis"
Mother 3 turned out well from what I played of it, though that basically just reinforces your point that they're better when not working for SE.

yeah, if only Mother 3 came to the US. :(

Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2008, 06:51:56 PM »

I could not get into Magical Starsign.  It was cute, but I ultimately found it really slow and boring.  

And Tooker, these days I believe Naruto: Path of the Ninja is available pretty cheap.  With all the Naruto games out there including the Ninja Council games on DS, Path of the Ninja is easy to overlook.  Yeah, I was pretty surprised at how much I truly enjoyed it.  And I'm a crotchedy, jaded old man reviewer who doesn't seem to like anything these days (save Professor Layton.)

Lord Scottish

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2008, 06:12:05 PM »

Hmm....should I bring Izuna into this conversation?

Well, it's technically turn based, and it's certainly old school, but whether or not it's what the original poster had in mind is an open question...

....aw, what the hell, just buy it for me, okay? I really want the sequel to be localized :(
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: