Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 20, 2014, 01:38:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341029 Posts in 13938 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Devil Summoner US Bound
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Devil Summoner US Bound  (Read 8408 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2006, 09:34:25 AM »

Honestly, unless I was fluent in japanese this would probably be one of the lowest of interest for importing, simply because part of the appeal's from the graphic adventure element. If I could leisurely import, I'd probably spend it on something that I can greatly enjoy with no worries of understanding shit, or at least have zero chance of coming out here - like that cheerleading DS game for the former, and Sakura Taisen for the latter.
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2006, 10:08:50 AM »

Robert- the original Megami Tensei game was based on the novel "Digital Devil Story" which I believe was later adapted into a movie.  It wasn't an anime, though.  

However, there was an anime TV series based on Devil Children Red + Black books games for Game Boy.

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Urban Sketch

timbrown96@hotmail.com Tha+Jamurai
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2006, 10:55:24 AM »

I've still yet to play a SMT game, so I think it's time I got my ass in gear.

carbon

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2006, 11:17:13 AM »

Tokyo Revelation

A two-part OAV made in 1995 based on Shin Megami Tensei and released in NA by Manga Entertainment.

It is, apparently, not very good (at least according to the people at Amazon.com).
CluelessWonder

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2006, 02:08:30 PM »

I hope later this year means around September.  The rpg blitz that is going on right now is overwhelming me.   But regardless of what games are being released simultaneously with this one, I will shell out the money for it.  It's been on my radar for quite some time.

Currently Playing:  Brave Story:  New Traveler, various ios games

Currently Reading: 

Recently Beat: Shivah, Tales of the World:  Radiant Mythology, Thief
Professor Gast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2006, 04:23:04 PM »

I hate to be the bringer of bad news, folks, but it seems a US release of the PSP game is not very likely, at least as far as Atlus USA is concerned.

http://www.rpgfan.com/news/2006/1188.html
CluelessWonder

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2006, 04:53:16 PM »

I totally forgot there was one for the PSP.  I have a DS so I'm not upset over that news.  Speaking of the DS, wasn't there suppossed to be a MegaTen game for it?

Currently Playing:  Brave Story:  New Traveler, various ios games

Currently Reading: 

Recently Beat: Shivah, Tales of the World:  Radiant Mythology, Thief
Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2006, 04:53:47 PM »

Damn, that is bad news. This was one of the games (along with VP: Lenneth) that made me tempted to get a PSP. Anyone care to guess why Atlus made this decision? Is the content of Devil Summoner much more "objectionable" than the SMT games we get these days?
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2006, 04:57:24 PM »

1up said 'technical issues' awhile back - perhaps there's some bad bugs in the PSP version or it's hard to put an english translation in.
Logick

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2006, 05:26:20 PM »

Quote from: "Cauton"
Anyone care to guess why Atlus made this decision? Is the content of Devil Summoner much more "objectionable" than the SMT games we get these days?

SCEA doesn't care about content, to them the game doesn't "look pretty" thus they'ed turn it down.  Also SCEA won't accept ports unless there's "30% new content".

"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing."
~Malcolm X
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2006, 05:41:11 PM »

Quote from: "Logick"
Quote from: "Cauton"
Anyone care to guess why Atlus made this decision? Is the content of Devil Summoner much more "objectionable" than the SMT games we get these days?

SCEA doesn't care about content, to them the game doesn't "look pretty" thus they'ed turn it down.  Also SCEA won't accept ports unless there's "30% new content".

I'm curious as to where you heard that. That would explain all those games like ToE, BoFIII, and Suik 1&2 not coming out here... But Devil Summoner never came out here, so I figure that would negate that negative.

Edit: Also, Popolocrois came out here despite being a port, and I imagine similar happened with Generations of Chaos.
Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2006, 05:47:08 PM »

Hm. I've heard similar things before (can't remember where I heard them, though), about SCEA not greenlighting certain games for a US release because they didn't feel they (graphically) held up to the standards they wanted on their consoles. This site seems to confirm it, but err I wouldn't take their word for gospel.

Edit:
If it's true, it makes me wonder how games like, well, pretty much everything NIS publishes, got the green light.
Professor Gast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2006, 06:04:04 PM »

These rumors have existed forever. I mean, how often have people suggested that Sony Computer Entertainment had a policy against ports of PlayStation games in place? Now if such a policy existed, why did Square Enix get the go-ahead for Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth or why did they allow Sony Computer Entertainment Europe to bring MediEvil to PlayStation Portable? As Eusis mentioned, same can be said Popolocrois. The game obviously had an original component, but was mainly based off the series' first two installments.

Obviously you can argue that Sony Computer Entertainment does not want ports of PlayStation games, because they want to offer the original PlayStation games for download beginning later this year, but all those rumors about various porting policies generally have always made little sense to me.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2006, 06:24:00 PM »

To be fair, he noted Sony Computer Entertainment /America/ - they do seem more stingy about content than their japanese counterpart, but I don't think anyone outside of the company has a good idea of just how much in actuality. And even with that distinction, games like Medievil and Ape Escape got ported to it with seemingly no corporate issues.
Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2006, 06:32:38 PM »

After a bit more digging around on Google I found the following forum thread. It contains an excerpt from what is claimed to be "SCEI Future Concept Approval Process Guide Lines":
____________ SCEI Future Concept Approval Process Guide Lines____________
Rev 19.1 -2004-

Development of two-dimensional games is to be discouraged for the chief home consoles. (PS2, PS3)

This also applies to the handheld market. (PSP)

All games genres under this rule include Action, Adventure, Driving, Role-Playing, Simulation, Sports, and Strategy. (Plus unlisted sub genres)

All games genres not under this rule include Puzzle, and Novel.

Gameplay is irrelevant, as long a graphics standard is kept (3D)

In the case of a non agreement the game will be suggested for the handheld market. (PSP)
-End of first excerpt-

Disturbing if it's true. Would also explain why some games have a hard time making it over to the States.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: