Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 23, 2014, 08:43:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
332025 Posts in 13601 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Disgaea 3 confirmed for US
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Disgaea 3 confirmed for US  (Read 2828 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« on: February 27, 2008, 05:18:21 PM »

Guess approval didn't shoot it down afterall. I'm kinda tempted simply because of the lack of exclusives I care about, but I believe Valkyria Chronicles will satisfy there.
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008, 07:00:15 PM »

Am I missing something? Was it ever expected not to make it here?

Is there real strategy to part 3, or is the strategy in finding the best way to grind and abuse the system?
Losfer
Bearded Scumlord

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2008, 07:18:17 PM »

Hurray, I can't wait for the HIGH RES GRAPHICS.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2008, 07:21:39 PM »

SCEA has a secretive approval process that apparently has shot down a fair few games, and this looked like one of those they'd have blown over. They could be loosening up after receiving significant blows from Microsoft and Nintendo, though it may be more likely that Disgaea is too established to bother blocking.
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2008, 07:55:17 PM »

If White Knight Story comes out this fall, my PS3 will be busy playing Disgaea 3, Valkyria Chronicles, and WKS, instead of PS2 RPGs. I like SRPGs, though I've yet to play a Disgaea game.
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2008, 07:56:53 PM »

Quote from: "Losfer"
Hurray, I can't wait for the HIGH RES GRAPHICS.

Meh.  It's not like they were considered cutting edge on the PS2 anyhow.  I'm glad they stuck with the sprites since it wouldn't be Disgaea (let alone a Nippon Ichi title) without them.  It's nice that even in the next-gen (which is pretty much current gen now) that a title like that can exist.  I recall reading an interview somewhere where they asked the creators why they just didn't put it on the PS2 and the answer was something along the lines of, "We're going to have to learn how to make next-gen games eventually so we might as well start now".  I wonder if it runs in 720p like other next-gen titles (I am aware that some run at 1080p on PS3).

Anyways, I'm pretty excited about this.  The first Disgaea pulled me in and I've been loving the series since (clocking 100+ hours on both the first and second).  One thing that is disappointing is by looking at the Disgaea 3 website and various screenshots is limited new human/demon classes and the old ones have the same sprites.  Oh well, a minor downside to me.  Honestly, once I begin working full time and my salary kicks in, this game is enough to warrant a PS3 purchase solely for this game (and other games will be coming eventually like senjou no valkyria, FFXIII, White Knight Story).

Is there real strategy to part 3, or is the strategy in finding the best way to grind and abuse the system?

Without a secret/extra level to grind at, the post-game extra stuff would take too long to get to up to level (or they could just scale the enemies level down, but I don't see that happening).  Disgaea 2 definitely was easier than Disgaea 1 in that regard with a couple levels for good leveling up weaker characters.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2008, 08:01:30 PM »

Quote from: "Akanbe-"
I'm glad they stuck with the sprites since it wouldn't be Disgaea (let alone a Nippon Ichi title) without them.

Uhhh, have you looked at those sprites? I doubt any here would complain about sprites, but these are the same quality as on the PS2. It's HD, there's a sore lack of proper HD sprites, I want to see these look more like something out of Odin Sphere and less like they were jacked from the original damn Playstation. Heck, they don't even need to add more frames, I know they don't have the biggest budget afterall.
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2008, 08:16:27 PM »

Yes.  I've watched most of the trailers that were posted on gametrailers and other sites as well have looked at the screenshots from rpgamer and such.

Still doesn't bother me.  Hopefully they put extra effort into the gameplay, dialogue/writing, and story to make it a fun game.  Sure, it would be nice, but it's not a deal breaker to me.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2008, 08:22:58 PM »

2D graphics don't bother me as long as work is put into it.

I'm currently loving Ar Tonelico in all of its 2D glory.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2008, 08:29:06 PM »

It bugs me more because it kinda makes putting it on the PS3 seem pointless. Then again, that was a good point in having to get used to it sooner or later, and the experience is probably the more important thing.
Kos-mos

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2008, 09:12:16 PM »

I'm looking forwards to it as a big Disgaea fan.

Atleast the full character portraits of the always cool Disgaea series' designs seem to look particularly sweet and sharp now in HD, not that the amount of work needed can be compared ofcourse.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2008, 10:33:30 PM »

I can't wait to see a PSP port of this game in the near future...
I love Disgaea, but wow, so much for improvement (graphically) between previous installments.  This is kinda lame.  I usually try to avoid nit-picking about graphics, but I can't help it in this case.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Bernhardt

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2008, 11:24:16 PM »

Why must every installment of the same franchise be essentially the same, with only differing plot and setting?!

Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Atelier Iris, Disgaea, Tales, Wild Arms, the list goes on...!
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2008, 12:21:06 AM »

...Wow, largely debatable.  I don't know where to start.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2008, 09:20:08 AM »

Quote from: "Bernhardt"
Why must every installment of the same franchise be essentially the same, with only differing plot and setting?!

Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Atelier Iris, Disgaea, Tales, Wild Arms, the list goes on...!

Wild Arms 3, 4, and 5 are all quite different from eachother. Maybe not 3 and 5, but 4 is definately different.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: