Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2014, 02:44:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319105 Posts in 13032 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  The Soundroom
| | |-+  Sixty-two years ago today, there came forth a guitar god.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Sixty-two years ago today, there came forth a guitar god.  (Read 1552 times)
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« on: March 06, 2008, 09:00:28 PM »

And his name was not Eric Fucking Clapton, it was David Gilmour.

Happy birthday, great one!  Let's watch the master at work, shall we?

Echoes! <--get this fucking DVD, it owns from start to finish

Time! (the sound is out of synch with the video, but I included it because the solo is made of win and awesome)

Shine On!

High Hopes!

On The Turning Away!

And of course, the song with the solo that makes the rest of us guitarists look like a bunch of ham-fisted hacks.  I tried to pick harder to find shit for the other songs, but why settle for something other than perfection? :P

Yes, I like live videos.  Fuck you if you don't.

Feel free to share others.  I could have listed three dozen more if I had taken the time to find them. :P

Degolas

sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2008, 05:42:29 AM »

David Gilmour is far and away my favourite guitarist of all time. Pink Floyd is my favourite band too. I bum them and him with such an all-consuming fanboyistic fervour it makes Sephiroth fans look like trendy go-getters.

I had a stupid dream
that I could change things.

Check out my YouTube videos!: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Degolas
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2008, 02:50:44 AM »

Quote from: "Degolas"
David Gilmour is far and away my favourite guitarist of all time. Pink Floyd is my favourite band too. I bum them and him with such an all-consuming fanboyistic fervour it makes Sephiroth fans look like trendy go-getters.

I am personally quite unfamiliar with Pink Floyd. All I've done is watch Wizard of Oz while listening to Dark Side of the Moon. I've done that like 5 times. And I love that album.

I should def. listen to them more. Thanks for the vids Daniel.

SonicDeathMonkey

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2008, 06:08:33 PM »

"Money" is a good song, and Animals was an alright album, but other than that... I think they just aren't really psychadelic enough for my taste. It's like some regular-ass classic rock but slightly awkwardly psychadelic. I mean, I love classic rock, and psych, but I'd rather just listen to some Stones for the classic rock or some Can for the psych. They're just neither here nor there to me.
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2008, 06:12:03 PM »

Hell fucking yeah... great picks, by the way. Props for putting High Hopes on there, one of the greatest songs they ever wrote, even if it's not from their "golden era". Some of the best lyrics in rock history, and EPIC as sin!

Also, throw in Run Like Hell for creating everything that U2 (and everyone else) copied throughout the 80s, though the live version of that tune is much better.

I even think David Gilmour was a better vocalist and possibly a better song writer than Roger Waters (I know, blasphamy). There's a reason Comfortably Numb (which was mostly written by Gilmour) was one of the best songs of their carrier... and why A Momentary Lapse of Reason doesn't suck. During Comfortably Numb, I half cringe at the vocals during the verses (sung by Waters), and absolutely love the chorus's (sung by Gilmour). Not saying Waters sucks, he wrote some killer tunes, but Gilmour's name always seems to appear second on the list.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Degolas

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2008, 06:43:04 PM »

David Gilmour was and is a far better vocalist than Roger in my opinion. That said, they used Roger's rougher (to put it kindly) to good effect most of the time. Comfortably Numb is a good example. I think it works brilliantly with Roger on the verses and Gilmour on the chorus. There's a reason Gilmour still gets another vocalist to sing the verses live.

I definitely think that a lot of people don't recognise Gilmour's contribution to the band enough. Most of the best songs on The Wall are the ones that he co-wrote, and The Final Cut suffers horribly from lack of Gilmour's imput. I know a lot of people enjoy that album, but I find it deathly dull.

I had a stupid dream

Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2008, 10:10:19 PM »

The Final Cut suffers horribly from lack of Gilmour's imput. I know a lot of people enjoy that album, but I find it deathly dull.

Who likes that album? I've yet to meet anyone who likes that album. For most Floyd fans I've met, either their career stops at The Wall, or it starts back up again at Momentary Lapse of Reason (depending on if you have a thing against the 80s, or if you're a Waters worshiper).

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Degolas

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2008, 06:29:16 AM »

Quote from: "Prime Mover"
The Final Cut suffers horribly from lack of Gilmour's imput. I know a lot of people enjoy that album, but I find it deathly dull.

Who likes that album? I've yet to meet anyone who likes that album. For most Floyd fans I've met, either their career stops at The Wall, or it starts back up again at Momentary Lapse of Reason (depending on if you have a thing against the 80s, or if you're a Waters worshiper).

It does have a bit of a following. I'm a regular over at ProgArchives.com and I frequently see people saying how The Final Cut is vastly underrated. Hell, it's Steven Wilson's (of Porcupine Tree) favouritw Floyd album!

I had a stupid dream

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2008, 07:15:16 AM »

Final Cut is better than the Wall.

The Wall got played so many fucking times by so many people I knew in high school that I still can't bear to listen to it now.

Frank Zappa is a better guitarist than Gilmour.

(Though I think Gilmour is good)

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: