Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2014, 11:31:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319175 Posts in 13033 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  Japanese DS Detective Series Hitting US
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Japanese DS Detective Series Hitting US  (Read 1878 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« on: November 05, 2007, 09:16:32 PM »

1up story.

I remember reading about this game, but didn't think we'd actually get it.
PKProductions
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2007, 10:06:40 PM »

sweet. 19.99 sounds like a steal.

TurnBasedDude
Ys Man
Rainbow Club Member

hotshot562@hotmail.com Alcazard0 emmy_sols
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2007, 10:08:05 PM »

I'm sure I'll be getting it. I really like the graphic adventures on the DS, and hey, $20 sounds good.

Xbox Gamertag: Gig01
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/Zapper101
Superflat
Podcast Mom

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2007, 10:20:08 PM »

I think I'll get it when it comes out at that price, but considering that Hotel Dusk is sitting on my shelf half-finished and I haven't played PW2 or 3, it might be a while before I get to it.
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2007, 10:26:03 PM »

I must say, I'm liking this trend of graphic adventures and visual novels on the DS.  Count me in for this one.

I approve of this nonsense!
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2007, 02:28:23 PM »

Quote from: "Dincrest"
I must say, I'm liking this trend of graphic adventures and visual novels on the DS.  Count me in for this one.

Me too. It would be great if the "play novel" caught on.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2007, 02:37:00 PM »

Quote from: "Lard"

Me too. It would be great if the "play novel" caught on.

There is the stuff Hirameki publishes for US audiences.  The market for Japanese visual novels in the US is still very niche, but it's nice that it's there.  Still, Hirameki has been extremely quiet since Piece of Wonder and their attendance of various summer anime conventions.  

But if you really think about it, the graphic adventure genre supposedly died in the mid 1990s, but I don't think it ever really died at all.  Sure, US developers haven't made one in ages, but they've been alive and well in Europe and Japan.  Although some North American graphic adventures are on the horizon such as Dark Star, Prominence, and A Vampyre Story.

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2007, 01:06:43 PM »

Quote from: "Dincrest"

There is the stuff Hirameki publishes for US audiences.

I'm not familiar with them. What do they put out?

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2007, 02:51:21 PM »

http://www.hirameki-int.com

The most notable release they published was Ever17.  That and Hourglass of Summer earned Editor's Choice awards from me.  I loved the Exodus Guiltys as well.  I've reviewed a bunch of Hirameki titles on the site.

Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2008, 07:13:06 PM »

that's interesting that Jinguji Saburo is coming to the US. Do you guys know just how OLD those games are? It's not just DS... the Data East series of detective games dates back to 1988 on the NES...

http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/nes/data/578553.html

and check out this four-disc set!

http://www.chudahs-corner.com/soundtracks/index.php?catalog=STF-0021%7E0024

If this game is RPGFan-worthy, I want that soundtrack. :P

Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2008, 08:12:00 PM »

Here's adventuregamers.com's recent snippet on Jake Hunter http://www.adventuregamers.com/newsitem.php?id=1597

adventuregamers and justadventure are two of the best sites for graphic adventure coverage in my opinion, so...

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2008, 08:22:45 PM »

Quote from: "Ramza"
If this game is RPGFan-worthy, I want that soundtrack. :P

Given Neal's coverage of those kind of games, I'd think it's worthy! Plus he seemed to kinda imply it just there.
Bill

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2008, 01:03:23 AM »

But if you really think about it, the graphic adventure genre supposedly died in the mid 1990s, but I don't think it ever really died at all. Sure, US developers haven't made one in ages, but they've been alive and well in Europe and Japan.

Yeah, a visible market still exists in Europe. However, I think adventure game sites blow the viability of the genre out of proportion (there's a mythical perception that the adventure is very popular in Europe). Even the German publisher dtp has stressed that the market is small. While the games are hanging in there, they aren't making anyone a lot of money.

As for Japan, less interactive visual novels seem to have replaced the more elaborate designs. However, we're seeing a comeback on the Nintendo DS, which is great!

There is the stuff Hirameki publishes for US audiences. The market for Japanese visual novels in the US is still very niche, but it's nice that it's there.

It's a shame about Hirameki, isn't it? Supposedly, Phantom of Inferno sold well when it came out. However, recent games (exception = Animamundi: Dark Alchemist) failed to find a large enough audience.

On a more positive note, the fan translation scene is stronger than ever.
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2008, 09:27:54 AM »

I agree that there may be a "glorification" of the genre in mystical lands outside of America, but the truth of the matter is that the genre is more visible and more viable in Europe than the US since, well, more of these kinds of games have come from European developers in recent years.  Pretty much everything published by The Adventure Company is European.  http://www.theadventurecompanygames.com (The Adventure Company is the graphic adventure division of Dreamcatcher Games.)  Earlier this month, The Adventure Company released The Experiment, a graphic adventure developed by a French company.  Even if the graphic adventure market in Europe is small, it's still larger than the US market.  

As for Hirameki, I'm pretty sure their best-seller was Ever17.  I was bummed when they closed their doors.  We at RPGfan had a good relationship with Hirameki.  

In any case, I really haven't seen/heard a peep out of Aksys or other gaming media outlets lately about Jake Hunter.

Shameless plug time: http://www.rpgfan.com/editorials/2007/12-15.html (My December 2007 editorial on the state of the graphic adventure genre.)

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: