Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 30, 2014, 01:17:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327753 Posts in 13419 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Gamasutra - A Japanese RPG Primer: The Essential 20
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Print
Author Topic: Gamasutra - A Japanese RPG Primer: The Essential 20  (Read 12919 times)
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: April 23, 2008, 06:08:56 AM »

What the hell, let me see how many I beat:

Chrono Cross
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy VIII
Final Fantasy X
Final Fantasy XII
Xenogears
Panzer Dragoon Saga
Persona 3
Shadow Hearts: Covenant
Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne

10. I played others on that list but didn't beat them.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Der Jermeister

Don't Mess with Him

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: April 23, 2008, 10:04:44 AM »

I agree with many, but there are many I disagree with. FF5 is perhaps my least favorite of the franchise given its tedious, restrictive class system, huge spikes in difficulty, and general unplayability. The PSX port of Grandia is also fairly sloppy, with lousy voice acting and so forth, although the battle system does redeem the game. And SMT: Nocturne, while okay, has a lot of elements making it a poor introduction to the series (and I adamantly disagree that it's "superior" to the DDS games, which I think are *far* more accessible to newcomers to the franchise).

Lord Scottish

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: April 23, 2008, 04:33:31 PM »

My list of completed RPGs is pathetically short:

FFX
Persona 3
BoF: DQ

I was really close to beating Trigger but I lost my PSX memory card.

I sorta feel like I should play more of them, but I'm gradually losing interest in traditional JRPGs as I become more and more of a Diablo clone whore. :(
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 23, 2008, 10:15:33 PM »

Quote from: "Der Jermeister"
(and I adamantly disagree that it's "superior" to the DDS games, which I think are *far* more accessible to newcomers to the franchise).

So I guess FF:MQ is the greatest FF huh? That's a really extreme example, but easily accessible to newcomers doesn't inherently equal the best game, and you really haven't listed reasons aside from that. Also, what you said can just be taken as DDS allowing you to warm up and get adjusted to the combat it and SMT:N have, thus allowing you to better enjoy it.
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: April 24, 2008, 04:19:01 AM »

now that's just unfair, Eusis. FFMQ didn't have much going for it. DDS has everything going for it. I don't think Jermeister *needs* to list the other reasons why DDS is awesome ... we already know. :P

Seriously, my understanding is that DDS is like SMT3, except it's *easier,* and has a far more engaging cast of characters. Other than that, they're about equal ... I guess. I haven't played any of those games significantly.

If I had to guess, I'd say Gamasutra put Nocturne on their list *over* DDS for one clear reason: Nocturne is the only "main-series" SMT game to come to the US. DDS is a (very successful) spin-off, as is the entire Persona series. Nocturne, on the other hand, *is* the third game in the SMT series. Listing two spin-offs to the series (DDS and Persona 3) and *not* listing any main installments may have rubbed the lists' authors the wrong way, and hence the inclusion of Nocturne...regardless of which game they find "superior."

Man, I gotta play those games...

AJR
Totally groovy

Oh, this burning beard.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: April 24, 2008, 07:40:21 AM »

Quote from: "Ramza"
Seriously, my understanding is that DDS is like SMT3, except it's *easier,* and has a far more engaging cast of characters. Other than that, they're about equal ... I guess. I haven't played any of those games significantly.

Equal in what sense? Because there’s enough difference in gameplay and story to make them very different games. I preferred the two DDS games a little more, but I can easily see how someone would prefer Nocturne (both in story and gameplay).

Earth-2.net is a website where I occasionally type words about entertaining pieces of media.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 24, 2008, 10:28:38 PM »

I've outlined why I think SMT:N is the superior of the two in an earlier post, but it basically boils down to it being the fuller, more robust experience and that no, DDS isn't simply SMT:N with a cast of actual characters for a party. Admittedly it's a partially a gut feeling that it's the more robust of the two, but I can pinpoint reasons like it being one complete game rather than two somewhat short RPGs, more of an exploration element (an actual overworld and things to discover there), and the multiple endings to attain via your decisions as you progress through the game. Also, the demon and skill system add a bit more weight to how you plan out your party and main character, but outside of the 'gotta catch 'em all' element that kinda boils down to personal preference and makes a point of how DDS can warm you up to SMT:N.

Oh, and P3 kinda fills the role of being the more accessible AND arguably superior entry, at the least they seem roughly equal to me with their own distinct strengths.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: