Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 24, 2014, 01:39:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327314 Posts in 13402 Topics by 2163 Members
Latest Member: KashelGladio
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  So THAT'S why no JRPG character wears visible armor.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: So THAT'S why no JRPG character wears visible armor.  (Read 2657 times)
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« on: March 24, 2008, 07:03:18 PM »

Japan  has katana-proof t-shirts.

They're fairly cheap too, all things considered.

Shiguma
The Saviour of Esteria

LordShiguma
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2008, 07:55:02 PM »

A little ironic that Japan, one of the more crime-free nations in the world, is behind this.  Some asshole went on a slashing spree in Tokyo recently, and it looks like this company wants to cash in on the resulting paranoia.

If someone is so afraid of being killed that they're willing to spend $200-600 on a fucking armored t-shirt, lmao... try "locking yourself in your home" instead.  It's certainly cheaper.

Dincrest
Onoda
RPGFan Editor

Lieutenant Commander Vacation

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2008, 08:14:29 PM »

If they made a knifeproof dress shirt, I'd want one.  If you're a teacher or guidance counselor at an inner-city school where teachers have been attacked at knifepoint in the past, a knife-proof dress shirt would be nice to have.  Even on a teacher's salary, $600 may be worth it for a saved life.

I approve of this nonsense!
Serene Prophet

sereneprophet@yahoo.com sereneprophet
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2008, 08:25:21 PM »

I dunno, it seems nice, but dont you think most knife attacks would be stab wounds instead of slashes?  I mean it seems more obvious to stab someone with a knife than slash them.

Still *shrug* interesting idea.  It would be nice to see this tech worked on and transfered into a more lightweight body armor for soldiers and whatnot.  I mean their shit already weighs a ton ya know.

-Give a man a fire, and hes warm for a day.  Light a man on fire, and hes warm for the rest of his life.-
Dincrest
Onoda
RPGFan Editor

Lieutenant Commander Vacation

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2008, 08:33:05 PM »

Oh that's right.  I kinda slurred over the line that said it doesn't protect against stabbing.  

EDIT:  Still, it's cool technology.

I approve of this nonsense!
Chimpbot

ChimpbotD piccolo141@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2008, 01:15:40 PM »

Quote from: "Dincrest"
If they made a knifeproof dress shirt, I'd want one.  If you're a teacher or guidance counselor at an inner-city school where teachers have been attacked at knifepoint in the past, a knife-proof dress shirt would be nice to have.  Even on a teacher's salary, $600 may be worth it for a saved life.

Since most people wear a shirt underneath a dress shirt, you could always sport one of these underneath your dress code-approved attire.

If I was in a high-stabbity zone, I'd feel much more comfortable in a shirt like this than a regular shirt. If someone is coming at me with a knife, chances are they're not a highly-trained knife fighter...so, they'd probably be using a multitude of stabs and slashes. This shirt would be better than nothing.
ZE GRAND MASTER

Don't Make Me "Self-Defense" You

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2008, 01:57:42 PM »

There's another problem: it's not gun-proof (or anything-else-proof). What if all the knife-attackers in Japan suddenly decide to use guns instead? I guess they hadn't thought of that one...

Alright, I'm a smartass. So what? :P
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2008, 02:12:40 PM »

It's illegal for civilians to own guns in Japan, so the chances of you running into someone with a gun is pretty slim, I think.
Sketch
Sam I Am
Contributing Editor

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2008, 04:09:36 PM »

That's actually pretty cool. I wouldn't buy one or anything, but if it'll help people with their paranoia or whatever, then hey, I'm all for it.

But dude, machine-washable body armor just doesn't sound right. :P
Serene Prophet

sereneprophet@yahoo.com sereneprophet
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2008, 06:25:04 PM »

Sorry Hathen, but even if guns are illegal to own, there still are ways to get them for people who want them.  I doubt it would be as rare as you'd think, but then again *shrug*

-Give a man a fire, and hes warm for a day.  Light a man on fire, and hes warm for the rest of his life.-
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2008, 06:45:12 PM »

Considering just how crime-free Japan is? Yeah, I think it's pretty damned rare to find a Japanese citizen with a gun. :P
Bloodstar6078

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2008, 03:17:46 AM »

Not sure if it's true but I watched No Reservations today and they were joking about that. They said it was like 3.4 crimes per every 10,000 people.
Shiguma
The Saviour of Esteria

LordShiguma
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2008, 04:12:56 AM »

Quote from: "Bloodstar6078"
Not sure if it's true but I watched No Reservations today and they were joking about that. They said it was like 3.4 crimes per every 10,000 people.

I live here.  It's crime-free. :P

Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2008, 05:21:02 AM »

The important thing is not whether its happening or not, its where its happening.

Statistically, someone dies of cancer every so many seconds- but you don't see people around you dropping like flies regularly.

Lies, damn lies, and statistics.

Sorry Hathen, but even if guns are illegal to own, there still are ways to get them for people who want them. I doubt it would be as rare as you'd think, but then again *shrug*

Unfortunately, we're going to have to live our lives under the philosophy that things will be consistent in the world, and we won't run into someone that just happens to illegally own a gun. Kind of like how we have to walk outside everyday under the assumption we won't meet that one googolplex chance that every particle of Earth will just suddenly come apart. Like I said above, where its happening is important.

If a student in Japan were to attacking Dincrest for example, it'd most likely be with a knife, since the steps to obtain a gun illegally turn young people away from bothering- which is why you don't really hear about massacres happening in Japanese schools involving guns. Almost all the ones I've heard involved knives, etc.
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2008, 12:02:21 PM »

Keep in mind as well that homocide in Japan has one of the lowest rates in the world (1.1 per 100,000 people, versus 8.6 per 100,000 in the US), so even when it's not gun-related, actual murder is a pretty rare crime. The high-end of Japanese crime tends to be petty theft and negligent driving.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: