Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2014, 11:51:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319245 Posts in 13035 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  LeBron James is an apish, backwards, subhuman negro.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: LeBron James is an apish, backwards, subhuman negro.  (Read 1296 times)
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« on: March 24, 2008, 08:38:08 PM »

At least that's what various pundits think Vogue magazine was trying to make him look like.

I don't really see it myself.  If I were standing beside Giselle Bundchen, I have a feeling I'd have that same "I will fuck you up if you do something to spoil this moment" look on my face. :P

Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2008, 09:03:21 PM »

But Vogue is a fashion magazine and don't all fashion magazines do stuff that's totally "WTF?"  I mean, look what fashion models have to wear on Paris runways.  

'Sides, if anything LeBron and Giselle are the victims of a bad photographer more than cultural stereotypes.  Both LeBron and Giselle look stiff & awkward with really forced poses and expressions, as if neither of them wanted to do that pose but the photographer made them.

I approve of this nonsense!
Lord Scottish

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2008, 09:21:37 PM »

I just can't believe he's actually proud of that cover. Racist or not, that's the fugliest shit I've ever seen in my life.
Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2008, 10:59:07 PM »

While it looks stupid, how anyone could somehow overanalyze the cover as some sort of ultraracist commentary is beyond me.

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2008, 11:10:00 PM »

I can see it. It simply furthers the typified image of african american males as ultra-masculine meatheads.

Think about it, you could easily see a suave white guy like Clive Owen or Daniel Craig appearing on a magizine LIKE Vogue (since Vogue doesn't typically have guys), but the only thing black people are ever going to see out of these are big, brawny muscle heads, with maybe the soul exception of Denzel Washington, who's done a lot to broaden the image of black men.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Lord Scottish

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2008, 11:52:57 PM »

Being black myself, I can sorta see both sides of this issue. I find it hard to dismiss the racial undertones of the cover, and I certainly find it difficult to imagine a white athlete being portrayed in this manner. However, I also find myself wondering if I'm not being overly sensitive about something as silly as this.

Ultimately, I think I'll err on the side of not making a big deal out of it. However bad it may be, it pales in comparison to just about everything on BET, for example.

But man, I hate to repeat myself but it looks like absolute shit. More evidence that the "fashion" industry needs to die horribly, if you ask me.
Prime Mover

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2008, 12:35:29 AM »

Also... how is this "Fashion?" It's a guy in a black shirt and black shorts. Sure... real fashionable. I guess the point is is that, he's not being portrayed as some sort of roll model. As screwed up as most of the outfits in the fashion industry are, they're SUPPOSED to be some sort of "model", some thing that people are supposed to look up to, either aesthetically or otherwise. The way LaBron looks, he's there to be laughed at, or to make Giselle look good in comparison. Either way, not a very possitive thing.

And this comes to the other issue: sexism. From what I've heard, he's one of only a very few men portrayed on the cover of Vogue. What does this tell us about how Vogue thinks of men? Or more importantly, what model female are supposed to look for in men? I'm kind of offended by this, actually. As a man, regardless of race.

Sure, if you look hard enough, you can be offended by anything... still, it doesn't make things right when they're there.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2008, 07:16:59 AM »

"Vogue deserves criticism, but more blame should go to LeBron and other black athletes, who need to exercise stricter control of their images. If LeBron is brave enough to wear a Yankees cap at an Indians playoff game, picking up a history book and educating himself shouldn't cause a strain."

Yeah, because the instant a big-name athlete picks up a book, it's going to influence all the young people to do the same. I highly doubt LeBron James is particularly well-educated, nor if he even cares, since he rich as all hell just from playing basketball. Most people I know in high school that wanted to make a living off playing basketball couldn't care less about educating themselves.

Personally I think people criticizing this for "racism" look at things like this too simplistically. The people I knew in high school who honestly thought they were going to make a living off playing basketball (Most of whom are black, to be blunt) already knew why they need to do well in school/go to college, but they didn't bother studying or doing well in class because they're lazy, not because of some racist idea. Well, it's not that it's not there, just that people act as if its the only reason.

I think that just the fact that LeBron James exists is a factor in this popular idea. He got big when he was only 18 years old, so there's no reason that it shouldn't happen again, to someone else- who am I to question whether one of the people I know will make it big or not?

Like others, I found this to be more sexist than racist. Big muscular man grabbing tall, sexy woman around the waist? Whatever.
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2008, 09:27:33 AM »

The cover reminds me of king kong.
Vanguard

I am America, and I hate JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2008, 09:29:27 AM »

Every black person I know looks like that.

Thoren: Astronomers fucking love stars and shit. Whitman was a bitch.
Hidoshi: Walt Whitman could beat you with both dicks tied behind his back.
Chimpbot

ChimpbotD piccolo141@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2008, 01:26:57 PM »

I can certainly see why some may take issue with this...and to a certain extent, I'd have to agree.
There's just one snag, though...

For his part, James says he's pleased with how the cover turned out. "Everything my name is on is going to be criticized in a good way or bad way," James told the Cleveland Plain Dealer. "Who cares what anyone says?"

If he doesn't care, I find the need to ask, "why should others be making this into an issue?"
I'm sure Mr. James doesn't need people to be insulted for him. He's the man in the picture, he agreed to the shoot, his publicist had to approve the photo(in all likelyhood) and he doesn't really give two shits.

Maybe it's ignorance on his part...but maybe it's a touch of oversensitivity on ours.
Prime Mover

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2008, 03:02:12 PM »

Quote from: "Chimpbot"
If he doesn't care, I find the need to ask, "why should others be making this into an issue?"

That's not entirely relivant. There are homosexuals who believe that they're going to hell, there were jews during the final solution who agreed with what Hitler was doing. Simply because they are part of the minority in question, doesn't mean that they speak for the group as a whole, or that their views are ethically based.

For instance, LaBron may, flat out, not care about the overall perception of the black community (as is the sad fate of many minority individuals who have "made it"), and he just wants to look "fucking badass", regardless of the more global consiquences. He could also just plain disagree with the sentiment that it negatively impacts the image of black people.

That doesn't mean I have to agree with him. Basically, his opinion is irrelivant. In fact, he's part of the problem. He allowed himself to be used in this manner, for personal gain (think how much he recieved for that photo shoot), at the possible expense of the image of the black & male communities.

Another way to put it is: I don't feel sorry for him because of the picture. He allowed himself to be used that way, so he's part of, what I percieve to be, the problem.

The solution? People like Duke Ellington, Martin Luther King Jr, Whoopie Goldberg, Muhamad Ali, Oprah,  Barak Obama, and Colin Powel (before he was used and thrown away like a broken condom by this administration).

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: