Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 23, 2014, 02:34:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331973 Posts in 13597 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Multiplayer RPGs
| | |-+  Holic Online?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Holic Online?  (Read 2735 times)
pinkspiderx

pinkspider1102@hotmail.com pinkspiderx64
View Profile Email

Ignore
« on: March 25, 2008, 04:43:25 PM »

Anyone here play Holic? If so my IGN is PinkSpiderX come talk to me!

Now Playing: Mana Khemia
Waiting For :  Persona 4 - Chaos Wars
Superflat
Podcast Mom

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 07:41:21 PM »

I hate to be judgmental about a game I've never played, but it seems like just another Korean MMO, and those tend to be an exercise in uninvolved level grinding.
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 08:58:21 PM »

I'm always a fan of checking out new MMOs I guess, especially if they're free, so I took a look, and it's nothing new compared to the load of other MMOs that Korea pumps out. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but yeah, it's pretty much a lot of grinding and treasure seeking (Just like PSO).

I liked the art style of the game, though that probably won't hold me over for too long. That seems to be the main concern in Korean games- they focus a lot on graphics, so they end up making games that look stunning (Granado Espada or Rappelz) but end up just being the same, drab grind found in most other MMOs, lacking the lasting appeal of FFXI or WoW's endgame though. Ultimately, the only real thing that keeps people playing is if they can play with real life friends, like Maple Story. For a free game, it's amazing though, heh.
pinkspiderx

pinkspider1102@hotmail.com pinkspiderx64
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2008, 06:12:10 PM »

I like the fashion aspect alot. most the time you have to BUY the fashion form the in-game shop with real money, in Holic they drop from monsters or they are quest rewards and its fun to dress up.Though, most the girls fashion is a little 'too' girly, only the guys get the cool bat wings and the devil horns or the 4 angel wings.  yah its grinding but they have some great people in game! (like me! haha.)

Now Playing: Mana Khemia
Waiting For :  Persona 4 - Chaos Wars
Lord Scottish

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2008, 08:51:12 PM »

Currently downloading. An MMO with user-created content sounds interesting.

Prolly won't start playing yet, though. I'm plowing through Maple Story right now and the last thing I need is another addiction.
ShiningHero

Lawlerabs

lightbreakerec@hotmail.com Blazeddc
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2008, 05:29:09 AM »

Looks interesting. I'll give it a try.

My IGN will be Lightbreaker.

Lord Scottish

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2008, 01:11:56 PM »

I had every intention to start playing today, but I browsed Netgame's website and found The Legend of Ares more interesting, so I'll be playing that instead.
Kstar
Editor Emeritus

I Remember Everything

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2008, 12:20:10 PM »

I started this last night!  I've never played an mmo before, I know it's pathetic and as of right now, I kinda suck, but I'm working on getting better. Anyway, if anyone wants my IGN is Starlet.

"We're all lying in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars" -Oscar Wilde

"To be a star, you must shine your own light, follow your own path, and don't worry about the darkness, for that is when the stars shine brightest."
Chimpbot

ChimpbotD piccolo141@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2008, 08:33:02 AM »

Quote from: "pinkspiderx"
I like the fashion aspect alot. most the time you have to BUY the fashion form the in-game shop with real money, in Holic they drop from monsters or they are quest rewards and its fun to dress up.Though, most the girls fashion is a little 'too' girly, only the guys get the cool bat wings and the devil horns or the 4 angel wings.  yah its grinding but they have some great people in game! (like me! haha.)

That's actually the standard formula; you get your gear from drops off of monsters and whathaveyou, typically.

Honestly, I'll just stick with WoW; it lets me play "dress-up" and it has actual content beyond the level grind.
Sure, I have to pay a monthly fee...but it's not a Korean game. I'll gladly pay to play something that's isn't another Korean MMO.

Quote from: Lord Scottish}I had every intention to start playing today, but I browsed Netgame's website and found The Legend of Ares more interesting, so I'll be playing that instead.[/quote

It took me all of two minutes to figure out that I'd hate that game; they're doing their PvP wrong.
They reward you for killing similarly-ranked opponents, which is good...but they punish you for losing, which is bad. Implementing a system where dying causes of a loss os something is just a bad idea; Everquest did it wrong with their loss of XP, this game is doing it wrong with the loss of honor points.
Serene Prophet

sereneprophet@yahoo.com sereneprophet
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2008, 01:49:25 AM »

I tried to make an account, but I cant seem to recieve the registration code, so until then I wont be checking this out.  DOH.

-Give a man a fire, and hes warm for a day.  Light a man on fire, and hes warm for the rest of his life.-
Kstar
Editor Emeritus

I Remember Everything

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2008, 11:56:13 AM »

Quote from: "Serene Prophet"
I tried to make an account, but I cant seem to recieve the registration code, so until then I wont be checking this out.  DOH.

I actually had the same problem and I contacted them and they said that some email providers block the mail from them because they think it's spam.  Anyway, I tried two e-mail addresses and both didn't work.  Then I tried my gmail account and that finally worked and I got my registration code.  So, I know for sure that gmail doesn't block the e-mail.  Hope that helps and you can get started with the game!

"We're all lying in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars" -Oscar Wilde

"To be a star, you must shine your own light, follow your own path, and don't worry about the darkness, for that is when the stars shine brightest."
Serene Prophet

sereneprophet@yahoo.com sereneprophet
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2008, 06:12:34 PM »

Well managed to get the registration figured out but hit another unusual snag.

My antivirus picked up infostealer.gamepass as the patches were downloading for Holic, and blocked it, and I also cannot seem to connect to the login server, and from what ive read it almost seems like you need said trojan in order to login.  So...I dont think ill be playing this game.

-Give a man a fire, and hes warm for a day.  Light a man on fire, and hes warm for the rest of his life.-
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: