Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2014, 08:38:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319168 Posts in 13033 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Arc the Lad: Twilight of the Spirits
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Arc the Lad: Twilight of the Spirits  (Read 1933 times)
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« on: March 27, 2008, 01:36:22 AM »

Yeah, I really like the original trilogy, at least in part because of the settings. Lots of varied cultures but blended in a way that none of them seemed jarring, and a really well developed setting in general, with lots of urban areas to explore too. I also like the battle systems as they have a lot of variety in what you can do and they're pretty fast paced, and the abundance of sidequests.

So yeah, what's Twilight of the Spirits like?

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

V-Dawg

PizMasta+V
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2008, 02:33:13 AM »

I liked it. Some nice music, an interesting enough storyline, some good characters/dialogue and a decent battle system. Can't really say much more since it's been a long while since I played it. The only thing that ruined the game for me was the last boss, which was harder than all the other enemies in the game...combined. So I never did get to see the ending. But I'd say that it's definitely worth playing.
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2008, 02:34:08 AM »

I think I picked up my copy used at GameStop for like $5.  At that price, it's worth picking up just about anything that's not named Ephemeral Fantasia.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2008, 04:12:46 AM »

So uh, I can't tell, atmosphere wise, but is it closer to Arc 2, with the urban environments and all, or more like Arc 1, which was set more in the backwater regions?

o/` I do not dream o/`

Bloodstar6078

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2008, 05:25:38 AM »

I'm not familiar with other games in the series but I'd say it has a good balance of both.

I think I picked up my copy used at GameStop for like $5. At that price, it's worth picking up just about anything that's not named Ephemeral Fantasia.

I did the same and it was one of the best used game purchases I've made recently. I honestly wasn't expecting much but the game turned out to be really fun. Not much to say about it beyond that though. You might play through it once or twice but after that you'll have experienced it all and there isn't much else to do.

The battle system is interesting. It has some simple strategy elements that make it very interesting such as positioning a bow user in such a way to hit multiple targets with one attack.

I'm really not sure what else to say here unless you have some more questions. Personally though I liked it and I think you should just go out and buy it, especially if you can find it at or around the price I found it at.
sandiny0ursh0es

sandiny0ursh0es
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2008, 10:07:54 AM »

I personally think it's one of the most overlooked RPGs in the PS2 library. One of the best games the system has to offer. And now that you can get it for dirt cheap, why not? As for your concerns, can't help you there. This is the only Arc game I ever played.

Der Jermeister

G'day, sport!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2008, 10:10:47 PM »

I thought Twilight was decent, even if the story was a bit lame.

Code:
I think it's a bit lame that they try and keep Kharg and Darc's relation as brothers secret when it's painfully obvious throughout the game they're related.

MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2008, 10:46:48 PM »

Man, you guys should try and find AtL: Collection sometime. Haven't played the third one in it, but arc 2 is quite awesome. Arc 1 is fun but short and not nearly as expansive as the second.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Jet16

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2008, 11:44:46 PM »

Quote from: "Der Jermeister"
I thought Twilight was decent, even if the story was a bit lame.

Code:
I think it's a bit lame that they try and keep Kharg and Darc's relation as brothers secret when it's painfully obvious throughout the game they're related.

The developers intended the players to know this fact. They blatantly showed this. I mean, look at the back of the box: "The tie that reunites two men" Reunites, huh? That means they would have to be united in the first place. Cattle Call let the players know this so they could give the players better knowledge of the events when watching the two characters meet and interact in the way they did, thus heightening involvement and tension, at least for me. You honestly thought that was an attempt they made at keeping it a secret?

Anyway, I've played all the Arc the Lads except the last one and they're pretty fun SRPGs. Nothing too extraordinary, but fun games nonetheless.
Sapphire_Fate

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2008, 12:52:34 PM »

Twilight of the Spirits is probably one of the PS2's best RPGs. Darc's story in particular is one of the most interesting ever told in a jRPG.
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2008, 02:16:39 PM »

arc the lad ToS is probally one of the best rpg's for ps2.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
pinkspiderx

pinkspider1102@hotmail.com pinkspiderx64
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2008, 06:08:23 PM »

i played it twice! the charactors are wonderful and i cried at some points (witch is a BIG plus in my book if a game can make me do that!) the battle system is great too. id recomend it definatly

note: watch out for Marles voice, its a bit whiney.. and darc rules.

Now Playing: Mana Khemia
Waiting For :  Persona 4 - Chaos Wars
faridmon

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2008, 11:59:59 AM »

i really hated both Arc the lad games on PS2, they were just boring and had a very low production value.

especially the SRPG one, where everyting was unbalanced.
ShadowLaguna

Rattle your goddamn head!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2008, 02:52:10 AM »

I have a demo of this game. I thought it was ok. Not something i'd buy though.

Wii Number - 1981 9892 1002 5530
Bloodstar6078

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2008, 02:13:06 AM »

Maybe not new but did you see the comments by me and KeeperX? You can find this game cheap.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: