Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 26, 2014, 07:15:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327455 Posts in 13408 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  what is your addition to the console rpg formula?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8 Print
Author Topic: what is your addition to the console rpg formula?  (Read 16994 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2008, 11:10:40 PM »

Certain save systems are ideal for certain games, like just about everything else in game design there are times when save points are necessary, and times when they're just an anachronism. With that said I question the validity of some of the arguments for save points. I recall some (Japanese?) developers saying that horror games wouldn't be as scary if you could save anywhere, but I'm still too easily scared to play through System Shock 2. Nevertheless it is possible to save in a bad spot or have it glitch up (this happened to me in Oblivion) so if nothing else saves ala ToE's, MGS1's, and Zelda's would be a good idea. You'll have to retrace your progress, but you'll at least avoid losing anything earned, and it's less likely to have bugs hit (TP shows that it's no guarantee though).
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2008, 11:23:04 PM »

I have a minor one - but it's one that's royally pissing me off in FF 7 right now.

If I walk from one room to another, I want the goddamn camera angle to stay *the same*.

I'm tired of walking from one room pressing up, walking into another room with a different angle, pressing up thinking it's going to push me forward and have it take me back to where I just came from.

Fix the camera.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
AJR
Totally groovy

Oh, this burning beard.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2008, 12:53:39 AM »

Have many recent games had that problem? I can't think of any at the moment.

EDIT

Quote from: "Fei"
You have to constantly be aware of when you last saved.

Then wouldn't a checkpoint system also work? And there are ways that you could indicate that there is a boss in the room ahead.

Earth-2.net is a website where I occasionally type words about entertaining pieces of media.
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2008, 12:01:50 PM »

Quote from: "Fei"
I always end up with about 50 extra save files in games like Oblivion, KOTOR, and Jade Empire.

I love games that let me save whenever I want.  It means I can stop playing and come back to it any time later.  I don't have to tell people "wait - I've gotta get to a save point!"  As to having a ton of saves, I've never had that problem.  I keep a maximum of three saves and just cycle through them.  Last saved on 1?  Save next on 2.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2008, 04:18:58 PM »

If nothing else, there's no arguement against QuickSaves that I can think of... yet only handhelds seem to have them (and even they are disappearing due to the DSs sleep mode function). This satisfies the need to be able to indefinitely pause your game if you need to walk away from it, without disturbing the flow of the game, like many save-anywhere schemes seem to.

Another idea is a save-anywhere feature within a game that contains "rest points"; places where special healing items can be used (tents, sleeping bags, etc). If I remember correctly, Chrono Trigger worked like this. I remember seeing that you could actually pull up the system screen and save at any location, however it was made more convenient at "save points", and you could also use shelters there. This feature is sort of halfway in between the quicksave feature, and a full fledged: save/heal anywhere game, as it does still give you specific destination points to aim for, but also allows you to save anywhere.

I'm not sure I like "save anywhere" games, usually, because save points give the game a little added direction to the gameplay. However, these days, I actually prefer that if you DO die while in a boss battle, the game gives you an option of just fighting the battle again, as FF12 commonly did.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2008, 04:27:49 PM »

Chrono Trigger doesn't allow you to save anywhere, it just has the option always there but grayed unless you're at a save point.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2008, 09:03:15 PM »

1Up's podcast about CT also says you can switch Crono out of your party any time you want to, which isn't true at all. Go fig.

FFXII needed more actual savepoints though. Dying in normal battles was a game over.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Dincrest
Onoda
RPGFan Editor

Lieutenant Commander Vacation

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2008, 09:26:39 PM »

Xenosaga I*II for DS allows anywhere/anytime saving, but scattered throughout locations are gold EVS points that offer free healing to the party.  These EVS points are where you'd expect to find save points.  So that's a game where you can eat your cake and have it too.

I approve of this nonsense!
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2008, 10:13:53 PM »

I loved it in Lunar Legend that whenever you turned the game off, it saved and fully healed you. I did that a lot near the end of the game.

Games need more savepoints, I don't always have the time to play for an hour or so to get through the next dungeon, tower, save, etc., and a handheld-esque save system would be nice in console RPGs.
calintz

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2008, 01:47:30 AM »

Quote from: "Lard"
I have a minor one - but it's one that's royally pissing me off in FF 7 right now.

If I walk from one room to another, I want the goddamn camera angle to stay *the same*.

I'm tired of walking from one room pressing up, walking into another room with a different angle, pressing up thinking it's going to push me forward and have it take me back to where I just came from.

Fix the camera.

this is only for pre-rendered backgrounds of PSX games yeah?
recently, most JRPGs are going the full 3D... well, except LO, which still adheres to fixed camera angles...

ok, you make a good point...
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2008, 02:46:30 AM »

RPGs that will send you to different locations you can't backtrack from or into a long, unskippable cutscene just for entering a certain location or talking to a certain NPC are annoying me a lot.

* turns his monitor sideways, listens to something humming outside in the distance, touches something made of wood *

Actually that's like save points. I'm tired of feeling like a game is in control of me. I am not playing games for that reason.

o/` I do not dream o/`

CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2008, 06:46:44 AM »

Finish a game, save the game, and keep playing in a world that changed because of your actions. Talk to NPCs and hear their stories about how much their life has changed since you destroyed the evil threat. Unlock new side quests after beating the game in case you still want to spend a few hours exploring dungeons and destroying monsters.
Remember when you played FFX-2 and got to see how spira turned out after the destruction of sin? Like that, but on a smaller scale, just to add a few more hours of gameplay and see the result of your actions throughout the game. Sometimes I love a game, I want to keep playing it, but the only thing left to do is repaly the whole thing or beat the final boss over and over.
You have sidequests but that whole "the world is about to end but you can spend 10 years just walking around because the monster or meteor or whatever is going to wait for you" situation is kinda ridiculous.
I appreciate that you are given the time to complete everything before entering the final dungeon but the option of doing it in a post-final battle world seems great to me. I'm not saying it hasn't been done, just that it should happen more often.

And F*ck random battles!

Oh, and the save anywhere option is a must. Not during battles obviously but anywhere else. Some rpgs just make me want to kill someone because of this: save point - another 20 min of dungeon crawling with random battles - 10 min of unskipabble cutscene - hard and long boss fight - 20 min of unskipabble cutscene - save point. This is ridiculous! I don't have much time to play and to see my time wasted like this is revolting!

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Robert Boyd

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2008, 10:38:46 AM »

Quote from: "dalucifer0"
I loved it in Lunar Legend that whenever you turned the game off, it saved and fully healed you. I did that a lot near the end of the game.

Not exactly the same, but whenever you load a save game from the title screen on Lost Odyssey, it fully heals you.

DPB

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: March 31, 2008, 11:19:51 AM »

CDFN - if you haven't already played it, you should try Lunar 2: Eternal Blue.  It does pretty much everything you've said,  and I wish more games had an epilogue like it.
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: March 31, 2008, 11:57:51 AM »

Finish a game, save the game, and keep playing in a world that changed because of your actions. Talk to NPCs and hear their stories about how much their life has changer since you destroyed the evil threat.

Morrowind, earthbound, baldur's gate 2 AFAIK... Not nearly enough games.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: