Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 20, 2014, 02:56:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329219 Posts in 13490 Topics by 2177 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Etrian Odyssey II: Heroes of Lagaard announced for the US
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Etrian Odyssey II: Heroes of Lagaard announced for the US  (Read 3587 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« on: March 27, 2008, 08:26:25 PM »

Set for June 17th.
Lord Scottish

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2008, 08:43:24 PM »

As if the DS really needs yet another awesome dungeon crawler. :P
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2008, 08:50:30 PM »

Quote from: "Lord Scottish"
As if the DS really needs yet another awesome dungeon crawler. :P

You sound like you want it!

I've heard that bugs and stuff are going to be patched up for the US release, which is great.
Der Jermeister

The Angry Videogame Fur

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2008, 10:05:58 PM »

Yay, pretty much one of the only DS games I'm truly hyped about this year.

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2008, 10:41:59 PM »

Очень хорошо! Много спасибо! With this and that game made of the KH PEOPLE and that sideways book adventure thing Square is making I'm glad I have a DS.

Now I just need to finish the first etrian odyssey sometime :(

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2008, 11:04:54 PM »

Quote from: "MeshGearFox"
Now I just need to finish the first etrian odyssey sometime :(

Hahaha I'm only on floor 6.
Wilsongt

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2008, 11:06:47 PM »

I very much look forward to having my ass kicked again, old school style.

Bring it on!
Extwin

imlzeronx
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2008, 12:36:58 AM »

Nice! I'm only on floor 3 :)

Mostly lurks, with good reason
Obviously, I'm a genius...The Darkrider said so
Me: So, Mom, where are you going in the U.K.?
Mom: Ware
Me: Yeah, where?
Mom: No, Ware.... W-A-R-E
LordGek

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2008, 11:10:15 AM »

As a big fan of the Mystery Dungeon games does this have ANY randomized aspects?  From all that I read about the first one everything sounded painfully pre-set/designed (which even I have to admit, as it's a game all about mapping out the levels in detail, having any of the dungeons randomized would just make it OBNOXIOUS).
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2008, 11:50:25 AM »

Enemy encounters are random, I guess. It's not a roguelike, though, so it wouldn't really have any reason to be randomized.

o/` I do not dream o/`

LordGek

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2008, 12:25:10 PM »

Quote from: "MeshGearFox"
Enemy encounters are random, I guess. It's not a roguelike, though, so it wouldn't really have any reason to be randomized.

No game NEEDS to have randomized elements, I just like them that way.  Much like I really only like strategy games with RANDOM MAPS...just a very weird personal quirk.
Willy Elektrix
Lord of the Sword

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2008, 07:36:51 PM »

Cool. I quit the first Etrian Odyssey somewhere after floor 25, but I regret it. Now I'm rested up again and ready to tackle this brand new mother-fucker.
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2008, 01:26:10 PM »

Yes! I'm pumped for this. I loved Etrian Odyssey. And more of it in the future sounds good to me.

"Oh, a hunter..."
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2008, 05:55:52 PM »

No game NEEDS to have randomized elements, I just like them that way. Much like I really only like strategy games with RANDOM MAPS...just a very weird personal quirk.

Oh, definitely. I understand. I seriously thought the campaigns in Heroes of Might and Magic 3 were rather awful, but the random mission generator was brilliant. It's almost like the campaigns felt like a tutorial, whereas the "Everything and the kitchen sink" nature of the RMG made it feel like each map was a complete... I dunno, experience?

But as I said, this is a different sort of game. EO is an oldschool dungeon crawler and an important part of these are the adventure gaming and puzzle solving elements that come up. EO didn't have as many as, say, Dungeon Master (which Needs. A. Goddamn. DS. Port. Now) but it still had quite a bit.

Also randomized dungeon crawls worry me in that they might end up too much like Daggerfall :(

One way to do it might be to have a few randomized filler floors in between each set floor (Sort of like how Dragon Warrior Monsters 2 had both randomized and non-randomized worlds). Arena was still very random but unlike DF, it had certain floor paradigms that you'd either see in different dungeon types or at different levels, which helps a lot too.

Also since you mentioned Shiren, I'm sort of WTF at IGN's review. They mention how the exit to a floor is sometimes spawned in the same room you start in, and this gives you no incentive to explore, but then they also, I believe, complain about it being too hard and you not having enough items. Er, derp? LEARN THE GAME, SON.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2008, 06:00:04 PM »

Seems GameSpot's still lacking a review for Shiren. Is it me or do too many sites/magazines not take portables seriously enough? You'll get some titles that'll score well but they're reviewed MONTHES after they came out. Bleach DS was probably brushed off as just another anime fighter, but the Treasure involvement had me interested and it's not like that'd take a long time to get through like RPGs or something. Meanwhile the console version got pretty quickly reviewed and no one really liked it it seems.

Bleh, I'm getting kinda off topic, this would've been better in the Shiren thread anyway.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: