Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 01, 2014, 06:02:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327939 Posts in 13428 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  The Soundroom
| | |-+  Video Games Live
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Video Games Live  (Read 1386 times)
Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« on: March 30, 2008, 02:22:08 PM »

So, I believe we may have had a topic about this before, but I thought I'd bring it up again. Video Games Live is a concert series that performs video game music with symphonies, orchestras, and choirs across the U.S. Here is the official website.

Anyway, I just went to it last night in Salt Lake City and I can say that it was pretty sweet. The concert was just over two hours long, and it was packed with video game music from various games and series. Highlights for me were Zelda, Metal Gear Solid, "One-Winged Angel," and Martin Leung (the blindfolded Mario piano guy) who did Mario and a Final Fantasy medley on the piano. Other segments included a classic arcade medley (the show's opening), Advent Rising, Kingdom Hearts, Castlevania, Halo, Civilization IV, World of Warcraft, Medal of Honor, and maybe one or two I'm forgetting.

The only notable exclusion for me was Metroid. I really wanted to hear a live, symphonic version of "Ridley's Theme," but such is life.

And don't worry if you think it is high-brow symphony stuff that you have to dress up for. Tons of people were wearing game-related clothing. I was in my Sonic t-shirt and "Made in the 80s" Mario cap myself. There were even quite a few cosplayers! One guy was dressed up as Zack from FFVII and packed a huge plastic buster sword around the whole time...

If it's going to be in your area, I'd highly suggest checking it out because I really enjoyed it. Seriously, I took my first date in four years with me and it...uh...went well ;)

On an almost completely unrelated note: Donald Mustard, the lead designer of Advent Rising was there and made two announcements for fans of either that game or fans of Orson Scott Card. Apparently they've been working on a second project with Card that he called "Empire Alpha Complex" about a futuristic civil war in America, and that they just started work on the Ender's Game video game!

I just thought some people around here might be excited to hear that.
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2008, 04:49:21 PM »

Speaking of Metroid, I wish SOMEONE would give Phendrana Drifts some love. That's one of my favorite video game tunes ever, and was a striking change from anything else in the series. I was hoping that Brawl would pick up on it, but they seemed to stick to the more traditional, "dark moody underworld music" and "heavy guitar metal" that Metroid is known for. For that reason, though, I was amazed that Norfair Depths/Magmoor Caverns didn't get included, because that's become a staple.

Oh well. It's probably not the kind of thing my band would like to have me arrange and cover (we'd probably do better with Castlevania and Final Fantasy, since we're prog), but I wish it would get some attention.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2008, 06:54:42 PM »

Quote from: "Jimmy"
And don't worry if you think it is high-brow symphony stuff that you have to dress up for. Tons of people were wearing game-related clothing. I was in my Sonic t-shirt and "Made in the 80s" Mario cap myself. There were even quite a few cosplayers! One guy was dressed up as Zack from FFVII and packed a huge plastic buster sword around the whole time...

well of course. It's the show run by Tommy Tallarico. It's like, the opposite of sophisticated. At least Arnie Roth *tries* ... :P

sandiny0ursh0es

sandiny0ursh0es
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2008, 11:01:32 AM »

Nice, they're coming to Las Vegas/Henderson in June! I must attend.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: