Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 21, 2014, 02:15:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329336 Posts in 13490 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Final Fantasy VI Advance, a query
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print
Author Topic: Final Fantasy VI Advance, a query  (Read 12169 times)
Morphamadol

View Profile

Ignore
« on: April 02, 2008, 12:46:39 PM »

Hi

Just a quick one, I am thinking about buying up FFVI advance as there are one or two on the UK ebay at the moment.

It's getting pretty rare so I really need to act fast, however I already own the PSX version of FFVI that came out prior to FFX (it included the FFX demo CD). Now I believe they did some minor script tweaks in this version but nothing like the extensive make over the GBA port got.

So basically is it worth buying FFVI: Advance if I already own the PSX version? Are the scriptural changes worth shelling out for?
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2008, 01:17:42 PM »

I'd say no just because the soundtrack doesn't sound as good on the GBA and I prefer my games on a tv compared to a small screen. Don't get me wrong, I still like handheld games, but if I have the choice I would always pick playing on the tv (unless it is a handheld game ported over to a console like the PSP keeps doing). If you want the game on the go though, it is definitely one of the best RPG's you can ever have on a handheld. Just don't expect to have a completely new experience from the GBA version. I hope this helps.

Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2008, 01:26:21 PM »

I agree.  The changes are nice but not enough to warrant a new purchase unless you really like the game and want the extra content after the final dungeon.  They added 2 pretty hardcore dungeons that require you to use more than just one party of characters and have excellent stats and armor for each character.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Riverking

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2008, 03:31:50 PM »

In the US version of FFVI psx the load times were really bad.  I bought the GBA version so I wouldn't have to worry about that issue.  If the load times in the psx version don't bother you then it  probably isn't worth it.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2008, 04:35:29 PM »

Do you want it portable, with no load times, and the best version of the script? For that matter, do you really love it and want to play it again? Then definitely get it. There's even an extra 3 party dungeon I hear. However, it's the least upgraded of the three Advance ports so it may be the one easiest to pass on - I'd say IV is thanks to the DS version that cropped up and the speed bug, but the European version had that fixed and the new stuff added in that wasn't kept for the remake.

I think the one of the three most worth getting is FFV. Unlike VI and IV we neither got a loadless version or one with a good localization. Heck, IV's PSOne release was load free until you had to save/load. V also had some significant new additions.
Masamune

XzMaSaMuNezX
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2008, 04:48:33 PM »

The script for FFVI GBA is better then the original, imo.  Even though they take out some classic lines, overall it was a better script.  As previously mentioned, the PSX FF6 has terrible load times.  I would only pick up GBA if you really like FF6.  New script, plus a few other cool extras.  After you beat the last dungeon you are auto-loaded back on the world map before the final dungeon, but you get to keep all of the items you found/stole.  This allows for some super-duper twinkage of characters.  There's also a few extra espers, some of which beat out older espers for stat gain.  And then to top it all off, as Eusis mentioned, there's an extra dungeon that allows for a decent challenge and even more badass gear.

If the extra stuff doesn't interest you, then it's the same old FF6 in the end really.

Leo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2008, 05:53:28 PM »

Recently, I've been playing it consistently. I'm at the last dungeon, level grinding my party. Got the majority of extra things, save for the extra dungeons. I just want to finally say I have beaten FFVI. :P

Anyway, I would say buy it, because like others have said, the re-translated script is flawless, however it was confusing deciphering what some of the changed names were, since I remember the names from the SNES version. Also, yes no load times. That's always a good thing.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2008, 10:21:54 PM »

I wanna see FFVI get a genuine remake sometime :(

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2008, 10:28:22 PM »

Quote from: "MeshGearFox"
I wanna see FFVI get a genuine remake sometime :(

Well, I, II, III, and IV have been done.  I'd say if I was a betting woman its all in due time (I'd kill to see it on PS3 rather).

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2008, 10:31:42 PM »

Yeah, V and VI are more or less inevitable after III and IV.
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2008, 01:59:00 AM »

FFVI wouldn't work with the puppet style (and I'm definitely a fan of that style, although I prefer the insanely over-detailed Romancing Saga or FFIX version to the uh, relatively simplistic thing that FFIV has. Judging from the screenshots, it looks like FFIII even had more detail. ). Actually, you know, that's one game where I think they should find a way to adhere extremely, extremely closely to ......... uh... whoever the hell drew it's art. Amano. Christ. AM I STUPID TONIGHT YES INDEEDY.

Something like Okami's rendering method. Imagine Amano style done up in that. Or maybe... something like Paper Mario? Or would that run the risk of coming to close to Virtual Hydlide?

Mostly I just want it rebalanced though, so it doesn't break down to mashing in bum rush every battle. Feedback on how Gau actually functions. Also get rid of those protracted 'strategy games defend the whatever' bits. Also maybe blend the linear and nonlinear throughout, instead of having an entirely linear first half and an entirely nonlinear second half (CT also sort of had this problem).

And Chrono Trigger remake, if I could trust them to not actually remake it but just add in some sidequests to the basic game, expand the towns a bit, and add a "harder difficulty" setting or something. Jesus christ though leave Woolsey's translation alone *the original script was far worse jesus christ*.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2008, 02:48:00 AM »

Quote from: "MeshGearFox"
And Chrono Trigger remake, if I could trust them to not actually remake it but just add in some sidequests to the basic game, expand the towns a bit, and add a "harder difficulty" setting or something. Jesus christ though leave Woolsey's translation alone *the original script was far worse jesus christ*.

Admittedly the fan translation comes off as overly literal. It could be skipping on nuances that can't really be translated that Woolsey managed to replace. Or he just added his own charm to it, whatever. I do think a slight touch up ala FFVI would be good though, perhaps make everyone in the 600 AD era speak like they were out of VS or FFXII with Frog being more pronounced rather than everyone but Frog talking normally, even his past self. But leaving it alone would be great too.
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2008, 03:23:32 AM »

Well, the FFVI ports getting new dungeons and a few new sidequests -- that would make more sense for CT. For starters, CT actually IS really well balanced (if you don't overlevel or something stupid like that). Second, the format of the game is a lot more... suitable for additions like that. You wouldn't need to put them at the end or whatever.

I donno I think I just wanted bigger towns. I could've spent hours exploring Zeal if there were hours of content there :( Most games do not get places as cool as Zeal. How many 2D, sprite-based games can you actually notice that the lighting is really damn impressive in? Other than Ct, I mean. Arc 2? Terranigma?

http://sdb.drshnaps.com/images/BGs/CT/Enhasa.png

Look at that. That's really, really gorgeous sprite work. I don't think that all the people begging for a CT port to the GBA really understood how much that would've hurt the music and visuals.

We have the DS now, though.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Morphamadol

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2008, 03:27:24 AM »

Yeh the load times on PSX are really bad.

I have FFIV in the post and have had FFV for a while.

Unfortunately I got the US version of FFIV:Advance not believing it to be an issue till I read there were a load of bugs that the EU release fixed. :(

Ah well. FFVI is getting a bit pricey on Ebay now so I may just leave it.
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2008, 05:35:17 AM »

Christ the GBA version was buggy too?

FFVI was probably one of the buggier SNES games :(

o/` I do not dream o/`

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: