Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 26, 2014, 11:24:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327467 Posts in 13409 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Final Fantasy VI Advance, a query
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print
Author Topic: Final Fantasy VI Advance, a query  (Read 12071 times)
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2008, 08:44:33 PM »

I'd go with FF8 as the darkest of the series, there is just so much emotional despair in that game and everyone is scared to death of Edea towards the beginning. I know there is a love story that kind of throws off the dark stuff, but I still think that game was pretty dark.

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2008, 09:30:25 PM »

Kefka's silliness is why he works. Remember when Pokey calls Giygas an almighty idiot or something like that at the end of Earthbound?

Granted, Kefka never starts quoting rape films, making him far less creepy, but you still get the point.

I actually think FFIX is pretty dark given how obsessed with death it is but yeah it's also pretty cute. Maybe it's more that it's not that ham-fisted about it.

Actually, FFXII? You know, it really LOOKS like they were trying to be the darkest, most serious FF game with it -- and I'm only about 30 hours in so who knows (This is the slowest moving plot in a videogame ever Jesus Christ) -- but all this pseudo-Shakespearian or whatever-the-hell writing and crap about nethicite and nonsense political intrigue, and you know, out of the blue, Vaan says something about

Code:
How he joined up with everyone to get away from his brothers' death, because he didn't think there was anything he could do against the empire, and why he wanted to be a Sky Pirate

and I thought that was one of the most genuine sounding bits of writing in an RPG, and why can't the game focus on that instead of whatever the plot is actually about (I really, really have no idea anymore).

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

calintz

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2008, 12:21:29 AM »

true - but what FFXII lacks in character development, it makes up in aces in an interesting world and well written dialog...
Leo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2008, 12:25:07 AM »

I beat Final Fantasy VI Advance tonight. It felt good to finally beat it. I have never fully beat the game. I have always made it up to the second half of the game. Kefka was an insane villian. Diabolical to his very essence.
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2008, 12:37:30 AM »

Quote from: "calintz"
true - but what FFXII lacks in character development, it makes up in aces in an interesting world.

Very true.  I did not use Panello at all (or the bare minimum) during my adventures, and I find myself when I'm bored going through at low levels seeing what she can solo with decent equipment (Best store bought dagger, cat ear hood accessory [amazing speed], good leather armor, etc).

It also could be that it's very FFXI like to me and I enjoyed that part of it.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
XBL ID: Akanbe
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Twitter@AkanbeRPG
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2008, 01:50:52 AM »

How is FFXII's dialogue well written, unless "sentences that sound like things people would actually say" and "characters actually appear to be talking to eachother and not around eachother" are no longer criteria for good dialogue.

o/` I do not dream o/`

calintz

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2008, 02:36:58 AM »

for the world its presented, the victorian-esque dialog's is appropriate - but that's my opinion. Some JRPGs are just direct translations of their Japanese counterpart, and in most times, they are too direct, and lose the "character" or "feel" for the world/character
FFXII at least puts some effort in distiguishing itself from the Japanese version - and yes - there is a big difference in "tone" (having played both)

some ppl can't stand this new "ivalice" speak - but it's all opinions - i respect that you don't think much of it...
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2008, 03:40:15 AM »

No, no. I'm not talking Ivalice speak or how accurate it is in comparison to the Japanese version or wahtever. It's not natural sounding dialogue by any stretch, and the faux-Victorian language seems like something they're using just for the hell of it (and they didn't even use it consistently or correctly, so it comes of sounding more like transcripts of someone's LARPing session).

o/` I do not dream o/`

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2008, 04:10:57 AM »

I think Kefka is more effective due to not being some supreme badass or anything. He's an insane clown that manages to attain supreme power and tears the world apart. The first half of the game isn't really any darker than most FFs, but the second has a dying, torn apart world with one case of a village being completely fucked. As such, I can't really see it as being less dark than, say, FFIV. As for V though, I need to finish that. However, what I hear happens later on certainly could make it contend with VI in that field.
Morphamadol

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: April 11, 2008, 07:22:57 AM »

I loved the FFXII story and thought it was well written in terms of the dialogue between the Judge's etc, but the story itself kind of burn out towards the end and it finished very suddenly imo.

The character development in FFXII is almost none-existent too, Penello has to be the most underdeveloped Final Fantasy character ever.

As for dark FF games, well I see people have dodged FFVII because of perhaps the fanboy connotations but it's quite easily the darkest FF, contrasted by maybe the character visuals, but Midgar and the state of the world is pretty depressing.

FFVI was certainly among the darkest but by FF standards thats not THAT dark. Kefka was an interesting villain, but it's difficult to take some of these older games seriously when their only motive is nihilism , which in itself is not going to make you want to destroy the planet, it takes some psychosis for that.

Kuja I felt was one of the best Final Fantasy villains, and you could totally appreciate his motives. In fact I think FFIX is really under rated as far as Final Fantasy's go, I never understood why either. Maybe it was just because the PSX was coming to an end and it was the third on the system. I guess it did have the worst gameplay of the newer games, but I think the simplisitc nature was intended as a throw back to the earlier stuff.
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: April 11, 2008, 11:54:44 AM »

I guess it did have the worst gameplay of the newer games,

Oh, I wouldn't agree with that at all. It's actually fairly difficult, pretty well balanced -- two things FF8 definitely, definitely wasn't, and FFVII was better about it in some regards but fairly easy to break (KotR) -- and gets around the characters not being unique by letting you customize them by selecting what skills they have equipped, but not every character has the same skill set, and everyone has unique skills in addition to that. It also has a lot of skills, most or all of them useful at least sometimes, compared to, say, FFXII, which didn't have all that many skills, and some of them were things like "horology," which wasn't really useful in any context.

When people mention gameplay flaws, they usually talk about learning skills from equipped weapons, but I actually liked that, mostly because getting weapons was no longer, "Okay, new town, by strongest stuff, sell obsolete stuff." From a logic standpoint, I guess it was sort of odd, but FFVI had you eqipping dead space wizards to learn magic.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Masamune

XzMaSaMuNezX
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: April 11, 2008, 05:59:06 PM »

Quote from: "MeshGearFox"
I guess it did have the worst gameplay of the newer games,

Oh, I wouldn't agree with that at all. It's actually fairly difficult, pretty well balanced -- two things FF8 definitely, definitely wasn't.

FF8 is one of the few games that lets you have complete control over the difficulty of the game.  You can say it's not difficult, but it's definitely well-balanced.  One of the few games where leveling up can actually make the game harder, rather then easier.  You guys can hate FF8's plot and characters all you want, but the gameplay is probably the best thing about FF8.

As for learning abilities from weapons and accessories - that was cool 10 years ago.  That is something that almost defines 'Traditional RPG'.  Lost Odyssey did it and it was still a shitty system.  I shouldn't be required to go out of my way to fight more battles in order to learn more abilities.  I like FFIX's system, but far too often are you stuck using some outdated weapon in order to finish learning skills.  I'm not fond of this system.  I am atleast glad FF tries to take it in a new direction, but SMT has done it best.  Give me complete control over the stats of my character and the abilities I learn.

Edit: Also, did you beat Omega Weapon in FF8?  That's one of the hardest boss fights ever, unless you resort to invincibility items.

MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: April 11, 2008, 08:11:32 PM »

I never fought omega weapon, no, but I wouldn't consider two or three difficult bosses in a generally easy game to make the game as a whole hard.

One of the few games where leveling up can actually make the game harder, rather then easier.

Right. So you don't have much inventive to level-up. Unless you want to make it harder, in which case powerlevelling for the point of making it harder is just as tedious as powerlevelling to make a game easier, and it really, really doesn't get THAT much more difficult anyway.

I guess the other viable option is to just shark your entire party to level 99 or something, in which case you no longer get status changes on levelup based on which GF you have, which sort of breaks a bit of that system.

In any case, if a game is actually difficult, it's going to be difficult through normal means, and not by encouraging the player to make it more difficult.

I mean, do you have to go out of your way -- really out of your way -- for the game to be difficult? If so, it's not difficult.

As for learning abilities from weapons and accessories - that was cool 10 years ago.

I can't think of any games from ten years ago that did that. If you can give me some examples, please do. But uh... yeah. FFIX, FFTA, and apparently lost odyssey are the only games I can think of that do it this way, and I've played a lot of games.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: April 11, 2008, 10:02:38 PM »

Quote from: "Masamune"
Also, did you beat Omega Weapon in FF8?  That's one of the hardest boss fights ever, unless you resort to invincibility items.

Um, yeah. Who the hell would bother doing this fight without use of invincibility items? They're in the game for a reason, it's not cheating. It's not a hard battle at all. Ruby + Emerald were a lot harder, and there were no invinicibility items to help there.

(for the record, the only over-the-top FF boss I never beat was Osma. wtf was up with that globe of death?)

Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: April 11, 2008, 10:31:40 PM »

Quote from: "Ramza"
Quote from: "Masamune"
Also, did you beat Omega Weapon in FF8?  That's one of the hardest boss fights ever, unless you resort to invincibility items.

Um, yeah. Who the hell would bother doing this fight without use of invincibility items? They're in the game for a reason, it's not cheating. It's not a hard battle at all. Ruby + Emerald were a lot harder, and there were no invinicibility items to help there.

(for the record, the only over-the-top FF boss I never beat was Osma. wtf was up with that globe of death?)

You never beat Osma? I thought he was the easiest "uber" boss of the PS1 final fantasies. All you need is equipment to absorb dark and he has no chance.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: