Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2014, 01:01:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334548 Posts in 13704 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Final Fantasy VI Advance, a query
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Print
Author Topic: Final Fantasy VI Advance, a query  (Read 12229 times)
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: April 15, 2008, 02:41:13 PM »

Most people get stuck at Adel when using GF summons the whole game. Personally I find it more fun to junction spells to my weapon and kill stuff that way.

Yeah, that's the damndest thing. People tend to do whatever they find efficient, even if it's not fun, and I'm worried I'm doing *that* with FFVIII.

FFV is overall a pretty easy game

I was just holding down the "fast foward" button and confirm

Also I always thought the deer scene in Terranigma was sort of an extension of the thing with the pig in IoG, and that one... town -- the second human town, I think -- was sort of an extension of the Mayan Goldship.

Also, while I wouldn't call, from what I've played, Soulblazer dark, it's a damn bizarre game at time, old beans. Especially when you do stuff like looking into the dreams of flowers.

anyway, to tie it all in, Man With a Machine Gun sounds a LOT like the first dungeon theme in Soulblazer.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: April 15, 2008, 02:45:45 PM »

Quote from: "Masamune"
Most people get stuck at Adel when using GF summons the whole game.  Personally I find it more fun to junction spells to my weapon and kill stuff that way.

My friend just went through this. He had to fight her about 10 times. FF8 was his first Final Fantasy (probably not a good one to start with... although it was my second). He also didn't realize that you could create and upgrade spells/items. But he kept at it, and finally beat her, after that, he says that things have been a breeze, so it was something about Adel that really screwed with the way he played. I don't remember having ANY problems with Adel, however the succession of witches afterwards, while not killing me, at least gave me a bit of a run for my money.

Quote from: "Masamune"
You can also Card everything you run into if you don't wanna level up.  Or you can level up early on and create more of a challenge.  You could also get Lionheart on Disc 1.  Spam Quistis Limit Break and kill everything, master Zell's limit and pull off combos for hundreds of thousands of damage.  You can really do almost anything you want in FF8.

That's one of the things I love about it. It's got a linear enough progression to keep things moving, but the system is so deep that you can choose to focus on upgrading and honing minute details of it. There's also tons of sidequests.

Argggg, now I want to go back and replay it. Unfortunately, I gave my copy to a friend, now I gotta go find another copy on ebay or something. This will be the third time I bought FF8.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: April 15, 2008, 02:58:27 PM »

If Adel was the lady that you fought late in the game, I had trouble with her too.  In fact, that was one of the few FF bosses that I never beat legitimately.   I ended up using a gameshark to beat the game.  Sad =\

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: April 15, 2008, 03:42:18 PM »

Calling Adel a "lady" is probably stretching it. From the waste up, at least, Adel is a shirtless man with no mameries to speak of. She looks more like Kefka than anything else.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: April 15, 2008, 04:20:41 PM »

Quote from: "MeshGearFox"
Yeah, that's the damndest thing. People tend to do whatever they find efficient, even if it's not fun, and I'm worried I'm doing *that* with FFVIII.

Well in terms of efficiency, I just ran away from every optional battle.  And by every I mean every, except early on and a few choice fights on the last disc.  I was sitting on level 25 or so at the end of the game. o_O  As Masamune said, you can pretty much do whatever you want.  BTW, haste and low level and endgameish gear made the obligatory fights a real breeze.

As far as FF2 is concerned, it depends on whether you're talking the normal difficulty or the easy difficulty in the remake.  The easy difficulty actually made it possible to play FF2 legitimately and almost enjoy the game (only the final boss required any sort of grinding/luck).  I remember going about 3 hours into the regular version and going insane.  Without powerleveling you regularly got trounced every couple battles.  It wasn't uncommon to be completely wiped out in a surprise attack, for example.

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: April 15, 2008, 04:25:33 PM »

I played the GBA version of FF2 and beat it. I didn't find it to be that hard and certainly did not level grind. I hate level grinding in most games.

calintz

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: April 15, 2008, 09:16:17 PM »

agreed.

if you can beat a game easily without the need for grinding - that's good game design...
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: April 15, 2008, 11:27:15 PM »

The easy difficulty actually made it possible to play FF2 legitimately and almost enjoy the game

Do you mean in FFO or the GBA remakes?

Also, FFO is running crappily in ePSXe so that may put a damper on playing the thing since spell effects cause massive slowdown and my actual PS2 is goofy about CD-based games (blueback PS2 stuff and PSX games).

I don't recall having trouble with Adel, actually. The last boss fight, on the other hand, I never beat. So technically I never finished FFVIII but I did get to the last boss, so close enough.

---edit---

FF2 update, since I'm playing that right now. About 3 hours in, and in the Bafsk sewers. Mindu and Gus are the only people that have lost intelligence for strength yet (Gus has no spells. Mindu's aren't combat oriented, although I believe white magic draws from something else anyway). Firion's HP is 75, Maria's 81, and Gus' 100something.

General observation is that weapon skill is far, far more important than strength. Anyway, Gus and Firion are doing ~130 damage a turn, and no monster had more than 40 HP at this point, so yeah. Fairly easy so far. Maria's magic is very underdeveloped because of the aforementioned emulator glitchery. Thinking of giving Firion white magic. Also thinking about giving Maria another weapon for when I have her in the front row.

HP does seem to be gaining slowly but nothing's doing much damage, so...

o/` I do not dream o/`

MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: April 18, 2008, 10:48:18 PM »

FF2 Update 2:

Well, same plugin setup so I have no idea why it actually runs on my computer at home.

Anyway, at five hours in, I finally hit something difficult! It's that Ice Cave. Except I never felt like I hit a brick wall. It felt like a really constant sort of progression. Enemies did a lot of damage, but HP was also going up fast (Frionel's nearly doubled; Maria's is still sort of low) and the like. So yeah, I had to back out of the dungeon prematurely, BUT my stats are substantially better, and I have 4000 gil, so I can finally upgrade everyone's armor. Also have a ton of antidotes which I don't need, so I'm gonna go sell them and get potions.

As of yet, I haven't ground or attook my own guys at all.

Main concern is magic, though. I've realized two things:

A) Having one mage is a *bad* idea.
B) Stat loss is fairly rare and minor.

Giving that, I've come up with a few more strategies that are pry a bit late to implement:

A) Everyone should have cure. It's mostly used out of battle, and in that case won't cause stat loss anyway.
B) Fire to Frionel, Ice to Maria, and Bolt to Gus.
C) Make Gus my main white mage, and white mage stats and strength don't conflict. White mage stats do conflict with endurance but Gus tends to be an endurance boat.
D) Find some way of dividng the rest of the black skills I want between Firen and Marion.

This should make getting spell levels up fairly efficient.

However, gaining MP still seems a bit tricky, as you need to use a lot in a single battle to get it to go up, and low-level spells don't take much MP. I *might* need to grind for this. I don't really want to, though it wouldn't be much grinding. We'll see. I do have to go around looking for better armor, so I might be able to blow some MP while travelling.

Then again, running it on an emulator (because of uppity PS2 and volatile, volatile memory card, also I'm using an actual CD ROM and not encouraging piracy. Seriously. PSX games aren't that old or expensive. Buy them, kids. Our economy is floundering and this could help! You know you want that decrepit looking copy of Granstream Saga.) means I use save states so that's probably skewing my perception a bit (as there are a lot of games I like that I'd hate without save states. Persona 1, for instance).

o/` I do not dream o/`

calintz

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: April 18, 2008, 11:27:32 PM »

wow... i thought this was a thread on FFIV...
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: April 19, 2008, 03:18:04 AM »

wow... i thought this was a thread on FFIV...

It's actually about FFVI.

o/` I do not dream o/`

calintz

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: April 19, 2008, 05:30:20 AM »

lol - i guess i can't read...
Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: April 19, 2008, 08:25:49 AM »

Quote from: "MeshGearFox"
The easy difficulty actually made it possible to play FF2 legitimately and almost enjoy the game

Do you mean in FFO or the GBA remakes?

FFO.  From what I read the GBA remake is a slightly easier version of FF2's easy mode from FFO, but FFO's easy mode is reasonable enough.

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
DPB

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: April 19, 2008, 10:15:08 AM »

Quote from: "Ryos"
FFO.  From what I read the GBA remake is a slightly easier version of FF2's easy mode from FFO, but FFO's easy mode is reasonable enough.

I thought only FF1 had an easy mode in FFO? That's what the review says and I can't seem to find the option anywhere.
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: April 19, 2008, 05:00:10 PM »

Isn't easy mode unlockable in FF2?

o/` I do not dream o/`

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: