Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2014, 04:25:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334409 Posts in 13701 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Zelda in 25:29
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Zelda in 25:29  (Read 2602 times)
Rindu

View Profile

Ignore
« on: April 11, 2006, 11:17:31 PM »

http://www3.youtube.com/watch?v=kgbR_GWzWWs&search=zelda

LaVal

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2006, 11:39:28 PM »

That brings back some memories.  I certainly didn't have that easy of a time with it when I played it (well, I was only 6 after all).  Still one of the best music themes in video game history.
Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2006, 12:08:14 AM »

Wow, that's pretty impressive. I couldn't do it. The latter dungeons in the game still give me trouble.

Dammit, now I want to play it!
Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2006, 07:16:33 AM »

This would be a lot more impressive it it wasn't "being played extraordinarily, using an emulator as a tool to overcome human limitations such as skill and reflex."
Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2006, 07:53:05 PM »

True that it is possibly something like that. There was an SMB3 movie floating around like that a year or two ago. But then again, I was once able to complete Megaman 2 on hard mode in 40 minutes without dying and while playing on an actual NES, and on a daily basis to boot. So I think these things are possible without cheating, they just take lots of time and practice.

And yes, I really could do that up until about two years ago.
Alexander
Easy Bake Covenant

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2006, 03:34:00 PM »

This would be a lot more impressive it it wasn't "being played extraordinarily, using an emulator as a tool to overcome human limitations such as skill and reflex."

Seconded. :)

There was an SMB3 movie floating around like that a year or two ago.
That was most likely from a guy by the name of "Morimoto." It had become such a big internet phenomenon even outside of the speedrunning community that a good number of people that didn't understand the classification of "tool assisted" and assumed it wasn't such a big feat. There IS an unacceptable limit of cheesing in tool-assisted runs among the community, but pure skills will always be judged as superior recordings.

The current world record for a non tool-assisted, single segment run of Zelda can be found here.
http://speeddemosarchive.com/demo.pl?Zelda1_3334

Behold, the greatest taco in the history of the world! http://tacostothelimit.ytmnd.com/
[Previously known as Miilou Suede]
acornthief.tumblr.com
Losfer
The Pope

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2006, 04:40:41 PM »

Yeah, I'm not such a fan of these tool assisted runs.  But the actual speed runs where the folks can and do fuck up are excellent.  Speeddemosarchive.com is great.

Alexander
Easy Bake Covenant

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2006, 06:18:28 PM »

Quote from: "Losfer"
Yeah, I'm not such a fan of these tool assisted runs.  But the actual speed runs where the folks can and do fuck up are excellent.  Speeddemosarchive.com is great.

No joke dude.  Watching someone zip through Mario 64 in twenty minutes and not knowing if they're going to nail those Bowser throws or not....well, let's just say that's easily the most stimulating part of the video. :)

Behold, the greatest taco in the history of the world! http://tacostothelimit.ytmnd.com/
[Previously known as Miilou Suede]
acornthief.tumblr.com
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2006, 07:40:42 PM »

for real, tool-assisted is a joke. Real impressive, right? I can quicksave and quickload a lot to keep my time down!!

The only time I ever attempted to make a speedrun of my own was with Super Metroid. I was trying to clear it with 100% items with a record time. The current record time (according to the in-game clock, not the video length) was like 57 minutes. My best was an hour and 41 minutes. Ah well. I was still pleased with how freaking good I am at the game. ^^

Suede, it's good to see you here, and your posts on this thread really got me fired up about tool-assisted BS. Keep up the good stuff!

Ramza

Masamune

XzMaSaMuNezX
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2006, 07:57:30 PM »

Geez guys, stop bashing on the tool assisted runs.  They aren't -that- easy to do. :P

Rico

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2006, 02:13:35 AM »

Quote from: "Ramza"
for real, tool-assisted is a joke. Real impressive, right? I can quicksave and quickload a lot to keep my time down!!

... And your times would be crushed by 10 or 15 minutes by the people that do it.  And if they didn't, then your non-tool-assisted speedruns would be weak because you're missing a technique that's doable but is unlikely to be discovered except through tool-assisted speedruns.
Losfer
The Pope

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2006, 06:53:46 AM »

Yeah, their time would be crushed by ten to fifteen minutes, save for the fact that they replay some parts well in excess.  So yeah, the file may be a world record of fifteen minutes to beat Adventures of Lolo, but the actual time that it takes them to finish the save file is several months.

Oh yes, really great.  :P

Rico

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2006, 12:58:11 PM »

ALL OUR HOBBIES ARE MAINSTREAM AND CONSUME ONLY MODEST AMOUNTS OF TIME.  PERFECTION IS UNAMERICAN.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: