Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 26, 2014, 12:34:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334849 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  The Fountain
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: The Fountain  (Read 3378 times)
Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« on: April 16, 2006, 12:41:18 AM »

Okay....so I really really hate Darren Aronofsky.

But then I saw the trailer for his new film. It has Hugh Jackman and Rachel Weis and....LOOKS interesting.

I'm not holding my breath, but as long as it isnt like fucking Requiem for a Dream or fucking Pi I'll be happy.

Anyhoo...here's the linkage.

http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/thefountain/

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
Degolas

sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2006, 07:27:55 AM »

I read about this ages ago and thought it looked interesting, as you say. I guess we'll see. I haven't seen any of his other films, so I don't know the talents of the guy or anything.

I had a stupid dream
that I could change things.

Check out my YouTube videos!: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Degolas
Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2006, 07:42:11 AM »

Hey wait, you hate Darren Aronofsky? Seriously man, Requiem for a Dream is awesome. It's funny, disturbing and socio-political all at the same time.

As for The Fountain, I've seen the trailer before, and even though I have no clue as to what the hell it's about, it too looks awesome.
Phoenix's Rage

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2006, 10:09:59 AM »

Ugh RfaD has to be the worst movie I've ever seen. If that's any indication of the man's directorial skill, I'll gladly pass. :P
Alexander
Easy Bake Covenant

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2006, 07:10:31 PM »

I don't understand what's with all the beef for Requiem for a Dream. That and Pi, I love this guy's work.
Ugh RfaD has to be the worst movie I've ever seen. If that's any indication of the man's directorial skill, I'll gladly pass. :P

Ever seen Crossroads? :P

And yeah, I too got next to no clue what's going on in the trailer but it looks stunning. (course it's just a trailer, even the trailers for Attack of the Clones looked kewl and that.... blew, obviously)

Behold, the greatest taco in the history of the world! http://tacostothelimit.ytmnd.com/
[Previously known as Miilou Suede]
acornthief.tumblr.com
Dade
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2006, 07:40:55 PM »

Why do I hate Darren Aronofsky? Let me count the ways....

Pi. What a fucking train wreck of a fucking movie. It's one of those movies aimed at kids who love the Scary Movie films but want to look like they like films that are mind stimulating. What you get is a movie that is all over the fucking road. "Hi, I'm a mathematician that has to take anti-psychotics to keep from losing it completely....yet when I take said anti-psychotics I trip the fuck out to images of crazy fucking Rabbi wanting to kill me for discovering some secret to Pi." Lets put in scary music to make it feel intense....THAT ALWAYS WORKS! Yeah and then we'll toss in a erratic camera work to make it feel like his life is chaotic! Oh and then we'll tell a story that doesnt really work, but people will just watch it two and three times and say....Well if you watch it a dozen times or watch it while getting baked you'll get it.

Fuck Pi and it's terrible direction. Woo it's in black and white, it MUST be dark and gloomy and mysterious. Fuck that.

Ahhh Requiem for a Dream...my favorite all time movie about Shock and Awe. This is where Darren Aronofsky really shines. He takes a great story (yes I did read the novel) about drug addiction and what people do for that next fix and or how drugs really destroy lives....and basically turns it into a terrifying and just plain depressing movie.

We have our "heroes". Dont get me wrong, I really like Jared Leto, he's a great up and coming actor that could really be someone someday. And Marlon Wayans...wow he IS an actor! Who knew!?! And of course Jennifer Connelly but nothing really needs to be said about her...she pwns.

Their fucking story basically ends up being the most depressing fucking thing that could ever happen to a person. Leto loses his arm cause he's fucking shooting up left and right. Sorry, but an infection like that grows practically over night? No way. AND WHY THE FUCK DID THEY SHOW IT HAPPENING? TO DEPRESS ME?!

Wayans gets sold into like...slavery or some shit....what the fuck is that? I know it' s part of the story, but Aronofsky basically make it look like 19th century slavery. For drug dealing? Wowza, remind me never to deal blow again.

Connelly basically sells herself into prostitution for drugs. I can see that happening, but the fact that Aronofsky has to resort to this fucking shock factor of "BUTT TO BUTT BUTT TO BUTT!!!!" makes him lose all credibility. Sorry, but to show a person go from a beautiful but drug addicted woman to a fucking prostitute who gets paid to fuck for drugs doesnt require showing that graphic crap.

There are a THOUSAND different ways to tell a story and very few of them require a movie to gross out, unsettle, and plain depress the shit out of someone to really make an impact. I swear getting a perscription for more Zoloft really looked good when I finished watching Requiem for the first time.

He might have some great ideas, but when it comes down to it.....Darren Aronofsky sucks a giant bloody cock.

Oh yeah and Pi sucks cause it doesnt know how to keep track of its own story.

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
Alexander
Easy Bake Covenant

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2006, 02:37:33 PM »

I can see that happening, but the fact that Aronofsky has to resort to this fucking shock factor of "BUTT TO BUTT BUTT TO BUTT!!!!" makes him lose all credibility.

How is a dachsund-sized dildo being rammed up Ms. Connelly's poopchute not the hottest thing to grace the multiverse? :P

/sarcasm

I really didn't mind the whole depressing theme, it just really didn't bother me. I could tell that was the original intent of the film, and sticking true to it made it more enjoyable for me. To each his own.

Pi I feel less adamant to defend. To me, the story was kinda cheesy but I enjoyed how easily the main character slipped into insanity. Guess I'm just creepy like that. And unlike Requiem, the ending made me happy.

Behold, the greatest taco in the history of the world! http://tacostothelimit.ytmnd.com/
[Previously known as Miilou Suede]
acornthief.tumblr.com
Degolas

sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2006, 11:23:11 AM »

I was just watched Requiem for a Dream.

The fact that it was depressing didn't bother me, I thought it quite suited the movie. But I'm in agreeance that he just went too damn far. There really was no need to show Jennifer Connelly getting that fucker up her butt.

I mean, for a lot of the film the in-your-face direction worked, but toward the end it just needed some more subtlety in it's storytelling.

I had a stupid dream
that I could change things.

Check out my YouTube videos!: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Degolas
glenncerritos

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2006, 05:44:16 AM »

I love Aronofsky; what a groundbreaking/innovative filmmaker; Can't wait to see this one!!!
Dade
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2006, 04:41:23 PM »

I'm sorry you didnt read this whole thread.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: