Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 30, 2014, 03:11:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327761 Posts in 13420 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Death Note sucks
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Death Note sucks  (Read 6330 times)
Raze

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2008, 06:20:28 AM »

I'm also becoming a little bored with the story. It seemed like Light had won and the story was almost over and then more drama.

Although I don't know if it's true I've heard people say the death of L was supposed to be the end of the series and the author just got roped into continuing it. It'd certainly make sense given the decline in quality. Not just with Near and Mello being crappy(Though they were), but killing people just became par for course. No drama or shock value to it. Or rather, you're pretty much desensitized to by this point.

Although I loved Light flipping out at the very end, it should have ended with L.
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2008, 08:59:43 PM »

I liked Death Note, it was rather refreshing when I first saw it compared to a lot of the crap that is regularly grinded out of anime.

The only thing that annoyed me about Death Note was the characters. Seriously, who gives a shit about any of these characters? Light, L, M, N, Misa...all of them are exaggerated stereotypic characters that just happen to have a good narrative behind them, which is why quality plummeted at the halfway point. The mysteries become even more convoluted and I frankly didn't give two craps about about any character dying.

These characters cannot carry a story on their own. It makes me wonder if the writer has ever come into contact with any real human being before, because all of the characters, not just Misa, annoy me to no end.
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2008, 03:03:25 PM »

Wow, I'm absolutely loving it. I've watched tons of anime, and this is probably one of the best. It reminds me a lot of Monster, which is probably my favorite. I just love the complex mind games that Light and L have to play with eachother, they really get you thinking about the situations from multipul perspectives. I've only watched up through where the official US release left off (my friend I'm watching it with seems to be a sucker for dubs), although this chick that I'm sorta seeing has the entire series in fan-subs, and she's going to lend it to me.

I've been watching Death Note and Speed Grapher alternately. Good counterparts. Death Note really makes you think, it's all one big mind game. Speed Grapher really plays to my noir sensibilities, and has some absolutely disturbing things, but great characters and concepts.

Also watching Outlaw Star with another friend... can't say I'm too into it. It feels like Cowboy Bebop but more generic and without any of the inspiration. The characters are totally useless cliches... except for maybe Jim, who I don't mind.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Bloodstar6078

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2008, 01:56:12 AM »

I love Outlaw Star. You can't compare it to Cowboy Bebop though. Then again not much does compare to CB.
ZE GRAND MASTER

Don't Make Me "Self-Defense" You

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2008, 10:00:02 AM »

I used to think DN was awesome, too. Then I got to the end of episode 37 (yes, 37) and thought "Why the hell didn't I stop after 25?!". It does start off great, then it gets a bit annoying, then it goes completely mad. And after Ep. 25, it gets even worse. So much that even Pokemon looks fantastic. Okay, so maybe not /that/ bad, but still...
ChevalierEagle

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2008, 06:13:23 AM »

I read the first couple of tankoubons (sp?) but eventually got tired of the two leads and their redundant dialogues and rethorics.
valentine08
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2008, 05:16:30 PM »

yea it should have ended when L dies.

Superflat
Podcast Mom

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2008, 02:39:48 AM »

You know there's a tag for spoilers, right? It's the button that says "Code." Use it.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2008, 03:13:58 AM »

... Except that spoilers have been given out for several posts already. Maybe they should be marked, but at the same time it's pretty clear from the first few posts that this thread's going to be mostly for those who either went through the whole series or don't care and have spoiled themselves. That's my take on it anyway.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: