Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 02, 2014, 08:32:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
330159 Posts in 13528 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  C3 Interview with Namco Bandai on Tales of
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: C3 Interview with Namco Bandai on Tales of  (Read 3761 times)
Silverwolf X

私にする? 私にする? それとも、 わ.た.し?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2008, 12:56:15 AM »

Tales of Abyss had alot of voices removed and their skits were redone with eye blinding small text.

Tales of Legendia had a shoddy translation and lines that didn't make any sense here and there.

Tales of Symphonia also suffered from 'tamed' dialouge and censorship, but of course, most of the blame goes to Nintendo's policies as well.

Tales of Eternia was so poorly done for its voices and translation it felt like a cheap shot effort.

Tales of Destiny's localization was so horrible and half assed I almost cried.

About other non-Tales games? I think the rest of you mentioned it already so i don't have to.

How did I solve my problem? I took up Japanese and played imports instead. I don't see a point in petitioning since it doesn't work (esp for Namco Bandai) anyways. besides, Eusis already pointed this same rant i made some time ago anyway. :/
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2008, 01:30:38 AM »

Quote from: "Silverwolf X"
Tales of Symphonia also suffered from 'tamed' dialouge and censorship, but of course, most of the blame goes to Nintendo's policies as well.

Those policies don't exist anymore and haven't for quite awhile, it was for some other reason like getting a T rating, fitting their perception of Nintendo's audience, or to avoid potential controversy. Just looking at Eternal Darkness, Killer7, and BMX XXX shows that the only thing Nintendo really cares about is the AO these days (and potentially the holocaust, but there's nothing concrete there yet). The most I can see is if Nintendo had worked out a specific deal with them and were involved directly with the localization.

As for the rest, ToD and ToE are from a point in time where they and many companies were just starting to localize RPGs, and weren't anywhere near as good as today. TotA cut out voice acting in skits, but those aren't the biggest deal and more importantly they've learned to remedy that with Vesperia. I'd like to see specific examples of ToL being poorly written, though I guess cutting out VA for all the postgame quests indicates they were kind of fucking around then.

Even though I'm defending them, it's not like I really consider Namco Bandai to be a great company in handling their games. Outside of the XSIII bullshit they've been improving over time with their series, but they've done some of the stupidest shit I've seen since the 32-bit generation started. Cutting out the story in AC3 is their real crowning achievement.
Silverwolf X

私にする? 私にする? それとも、 わ.た.し?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2008, 01:58:57 AM »

Well Vesperia's an exception because its so visually stunning. Naturally they'd want to go all out for it. I probably can't comment on their localization in English though since I'm buying only the Japanese version anyway.

To most companies in the west, 3d is better then 2D mindsets rule. It may sound biased but thats the way things are like now. If NISA or Atlus didn't dare to be different, the west wouldn't get alot of good game by now.

As for those non-Japanese litterate who had hopes for Innocence seeing an English release. You have my condolences.
Der Jermeister

The Angry Videogame Fur

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2008, 06:56:56 PM »

A shame that Namco doesn't better promote the Tales games when they're localized. Of course, Microsoft might actually have TV ads for Vesperia, since they had ads for Eternal Sonata, as I remember...

death919

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2008, 01:10:23 AM »

Awww it makes me really sad that we probably won't get to see Tales of Innocence localized.

Like the OP said though, it doesn't bother me as much as it should be because we've already got 2 Tales games coming to North America in the near future which should fill my Tales craving. :)  Though I'm still hoping for a Tales of Innocence release.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2008, 01:14:41 AM »

I don't much care for the ToS sequel, I've not been fond of SE doing it for the FF games and anyway the team's working on Vesperia.

I should note to Silverwolf that 1. Symphonia was just as good looking for its hardware and time period as Vesperia is for the 360, and they stated they wanted to go all out for the tenth US anniversary anyway, and 2. We technically haven't gotten confirmation that we won't see Innocence. Not that it's very likely anyway, but it may be somewhat premature to state it so absolutely.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: