Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2014, 12:36:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334796 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Tales of Vesperia
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Tales of Vesperia  (Read 3208 times)
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2008, 08:07:49 PM »

1up has an article stating that Bonnie Pink will be doing the theme song for ToV. I was expecting someone bigger, due to Namco Bandai saying both people in Japan and North America would recognize the singer, so I was naturally assuming L'Arc~en~Ciel, FLOW, or Asian Kung-Fu Generation. Nonetheless, I'm pleased, since I liked some of her theme songs, the fifth ending for Rurouni Kenshin and the ending for Gantz.

Article is here.
calintz

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2008, 08:26:45 PM »

Bonnie Pink is pretty big in Japan...tho I don't listen to her - but I've seen alot of billboards and posters and ads on tv with her...

And in regards to the both the US and Japan recognising the singer - they never considered this in FF games, did they? So I don't think its much of an issue...
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2008, 08:43:42 PM »

She isn't very big in the U.S. Probably the only people that recognise her are people who watch a lot of anime, like myself.
calintz

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2008, 09:49:58 PM »

yeah true... but say, FFX used Rikki, FFXII used Angela Aki - both names were pretty new in both US and Japan at those times...
Bernhardt

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2008, 11:14:33 PM »

Quote from: "Silverwolf X"
Bandai Namco doesn't give a damn about the purist fans like me and some of you guys. Its the general market that they are targetting and its THAT market where the money comes from.

True, but then again, most of the people who buy into the Tales series are anime fans anyway, and as such, actually prefer for at least the vocal songs to remain in the native Japanese; even those companies who release anime  in the U.S. keep the Japanese vocal songs in their native language, even if they still do the English voice tracks for the dialogue.

While I don't think it's actually going to discourage purist fans, I doubt they're actually going to get the casual audience interested in the Tales series by trying to Americanize it, either, so there's really no point in putting in the extra effort to bastardize it.

And why should Bandai go through all that effort, when even companies like Square-Enix keep Japanese vocal songs in their native language? It's not like doing so turns American audiences off of Final Fantasy!
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2008, 11:40:17 PM »

It's the same singer.  How is it going to be bastardized?  Just because it's not in Japanese?

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2008, 12:12:03 AM »

Remember guys! A purist, one hundred percent literal translation is NOT GOOD! Yeah, random nonsensical name changes are dumb, and it sucks to have a game more or less completely changed in a misguided attempt at mass appeal, but at the same time just look up that Chrono Trigger re-translation. You go to the polar opposite end and you'd be missing the intent in attempting to adhere to the literal word, not to mention it'd just sound awful. Also, some of this stuff doesn't really matter - if you're going to seriously get angry over something like not referring to Leo as a Shogun in FFVI then you need to step away from gaming and similarly nerdy pursuits for awhile.

As for that song: Yeah, doesn't qualify as bastardizing when it's done by the same singer. Might not sound the greatest admittedly, and I always found it kinda silly that Namco removes the Japanese vocals when companies like SE don't really seem to give a damn. Licensing costs could've been a factor, though it's hard to see that as valid with all the anime that comes out here without ditching it.
Bernhardt

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2008, 01:35:32 AM »

Quote from: "Akanbe-"
It's the same singer.  How is it going to be bastardized?  Just because it's not in Japanese?

Ahh, I missed that point.

But still, in the cases of FFX-2, and Kingdom Hearts II, the songs were actually changed from Japanese to English, the result was vocals that didn't sync with the instrumental parts; it wasn't too bad in FFX-2, but in KHII, Hikaru sounded like she was tripping over her words in order to make it sound like it was actually supposed to sync with the rest of the music.

I guess it won't be too bad so long as the original material is on the soundtrack; it's just one of those little pet peeves of mine.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2008, 01:38:38 AM »

Oh right, I forgot about the Kingdom Hearts titles (meanwhile never knew about FFX-2 dubbing it). That kinda-sorta disproves what I said, but then those cases were when they could have them sung in English. In games like RSG, SO3, and even FFX they just left the songs alone.
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2008, 05:00:22 PM »

I'm digging the screens and the pipe smoking dog is amusing.  Still, I'd love to see a Tales game set in something other than trad fantasy.

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
death919

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2008, 01:03:19 AM »

This is probably my most anticipated game right now (along with Tales of Symphonia 2)!!!  I CANNOT WAIT! :D
ShadowLaguna

Rattle your goddamn head!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2008, 05:43:50 AM »

I lack the 360 so I won't be able to get it. However, if it ever gets ported to the PS3 (i'll import if it doesn't make it here) then I will get it. I have a feeling that Vesperia won't be reaching PAL regions, as Legendia and Abyss didn't and I still need to import both. I am definitely looking forward to Symphonia 2. I loved Tales of Symphonia (one of my favourite GameCube games) so I'll definitely be looking forward to ToS2.

Wii Number - 1981 9892 1002 5530
Lord Dorkus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2008, 06:28:03 AM »

http://watch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20080502/tov.htm
new screens
ChevalierEagle

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2008, 06:11:22 AM »

Sigh*, i'm not spending on another console just for that game. Plus, they should release any of the countless ports and remakes of the "Tales.." games that never get released over here.
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2008, 06:49:40 AM »

Well, at least the remakes of games that never game over here in the first place (ex: Rebirth), because we don't need to be flooded in Tales games like they are in Japan.

Also, I'm in the same boat as you, as I'm probably going to dish out money to get a 360 for this game (and some other rpgs for the 360.)
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: