Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 18, 2014, 05:31:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
340860 Posts in 13928 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  GamesRadar: Top 15 videogame stories
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: GamesRadar: Top 15 videogame stories  (Read 5065 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« on: April 18, 2008, 02:11:43 AM »

Article link. Word of warning: They can get spoiler-ish, I was reading the SH2 one then stopped when I realized they might've been going too deep into that territory, and while MGS's doesn't cover the bigger ones it may be too much for some people.

Simply glancing at the choices they're all solid choices, even if I don't actually agree with a few. I may've expected too much out of GoW and BG&E's, though the latter kind of needs the rest of the series to come out while GoW1 was pretty standalone.
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2008, 09:48:55 AM »

They could have easily replaced that Astro Boy shit with a Legacy of Kain game.  Hell, the great story was the only reason to play the two Soul Reaver games.

Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2008, 11:30:59 AM »

No Grand Theft Auto game should be on a list of best stories of all time. I also can't believe there was no Final Fantasy Tactics or a few other games on there. Oh well...

Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2008, 02:23:05 PM »

Quote from: "D-Rider"
They could have easily replaced that Astro Boy shit with a Legacy of Kain game.  Hell, the great story was the only reason to play the two Soul Reaver games.

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2008, 03:18:13 PM »

Quote from: "Dade"
Quote from: "D-Rider"

I don't know. I really quite enjoyed LOK: Defiance. The overall story/presentation of these games was amazing, and should be on that list. Oh well.

Playing: DA: Inquisition
Reading: Mistbron#3: Hero of Ages
everluck

stay positive!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2008, 03:45:28 PM »

Astro Boy's "story" really wasn't that good, but the way it was presented was really unique. One of a kind, I'd say.

[/url]
Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2008, 07:53:33 PM »

Other than the fact PS:T was included, this list is yet another list of epic failure.  I'm not saying every game on that list was inadequate, but KOTOR, best storyline ever?  I must have missed something pretty major along the line.  Most of the other "uh what" games were already pointed out.

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
Jet16

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2008, 08:49:21 PM »

I almost completely disagree with that list. I'm with Grim Reality on LoK comment. The gameplay was mediocre at best in the two soul reavers, but it was still fun to some degree. Defiance did step it up though, I had much more fun playing that and learning more of the story. Sad that Amy Hennig left, but also cool that she went to ND.
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2008, 08:56:40 PM »

Quote from: "everluck"
Astro Boy's "story" really wasn't that good, but the way it was presented was really unique. One of a kind, I'd say.

Personally, I was pleased to see it on the list. That game really sent my head spinning. Everything about that game was solid gold, IMO.

Agreed re: GTA being lame. The list shows a clear bias towards American-developed games (and, in turn, against Japanese-developed games). Putting God of War in there, that I can understand. But GTA? No thanks.

Ramza

Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2008, 09:11:41 PM »

Either way when you really look at it, video game storytelling has come a long way.  Back in the earlier days of gaming, the only types of games that even incorporated storytelling were text adventures like Zork and then graphic adventures and later on RPGs.  Look at how storytelling in RPGs has evolved from Dragon Quest 1 to now.  And nowadays, action platformers are incorporating exciting stories, and they were traditionally never story-centric genres.  Great storylines in video games are not just relegated to RPGs and graphics adventures, though I still think those two genres present the best storylines in video games.  

But for me, mission accomplished on that article, because it makes me want to try Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers.

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2008, 10:12:20 PM »

Quote from: "Ramza"
Agreed re: GTA being lame. The list shows a clear bias towards American-developed games (and, in turn, against Japanese-developed games). Putting God of War in there, that I can understand. But GTA? No thanks.

Have you played GTA:SA through to the end or at least saw the whole story? I can't comment myself but people seem to like the story enough, so I'd have to reserve judgement until I get through it. For what it's worth though, I thought GTA:VC's story was overrated, but I think I only saw one guy seriously saying it was great. Anyways, I agree with Astro Boy myself, if any game was going to be knocked off for the LoK series, it'd have to be BG&E. Complete > Incomplete.

I'm going to have to take some issue with the America vs Japan there... Mostly because it disregards Europe. Counting the games together, it's 7 for America, 3 for Europe, 4 for Japan, and 1 for Canada (KotOR!).
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2008, 12:15:35 AM »

Quote from: "Ramza"
The list shows a clear bias towards American-developed games

What does this have to do with anything, other than placing your own bias that's in favor of the reverse situation to the forefront?
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2008, 12:25:53 AM »

He was stating his opinion. Since you are on this site, then you must know that we DO indeed have a slight biased towards Jap developed games because most RPG's are indeed developed in Japan.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2008, 12:36:53 AM »

Quote from: "Blace"
He was stating his opinion. Since you are on this site, then you must know that we DO indeed have a biased towards Jap developed games because most RPG's are indeed developed in Japan.

... You have no idea how funny your post was.
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2008, 12:40:04 AM »

Quote from: "Eusis"
Quote from: "Blace"
He was stating his opinion. Since you are on this site, then you must know that we DO indeed have a biased towards Jap developed games because most RPG's are indeed developed in Japan.

... You have no idea how funny your post was.

Ok then...

Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: