Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 23, 2014, 01:22:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329490 Posts in 13500 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Earthquake
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Earthquake  (Read 1813 times)
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« on: April 18, 2008, 11:24:50 AM »

I got woke up today at 5:30 ish A.M. (ET) because we were having an earthquake in freaking Indiana! I have lived here for 19 years and we have never had one, so it was weird. I was freaking scared because I am upstairs and my whole room was moving and all my video game systems and trophies on my shelves were moving. 5.4 on the richter scale is what the news said. We have had a few tremors since then too.

Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2008, 12:31:19 PM »

Holy cow - sounds like you and yours made it through just fine, though, and that's good news.  I have a friend or two from that area - will have to check in with them...

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2008, 12:35:51 PM »

Yeah, we're fine. Thanks for the concern.

jphussey

hussman12
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2008, 12:40:18 PM »

It hit KY as well. Read about the famous earthquake in the 1800s on the same fault line. I've actually thought about buying earthquake insurance after this...

JP
Daggerstrike
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2008, 12:53:33 PM »

Wow, glad you guys are ok. I drove through Indiana a couple days ago, glad it didn't hit then. I would have freaked out, hehe.

All right, we are going to use a fan brush here and uh why don't you take some hunter green and we are going to put a happy little bush right down over here in the corner there and that'll just be our little secret and if you tell anyone that that bush is there I will come to your house and I will cut you.
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2008, 12:56:14 PM »

Quote from: "jphussey"
It hit KY as well. Read about the famous earthquake in the 1800s on the same fault line. I've actually thought about buying earthquake insurance after this...

JP

I wonder how far the earthquake hit from where I am... My parent's think that flooding has something to do with it because it has rained here for almost a week straight (not in a row, but in spurts each day)

sandiny0ursh0es

sandiny0ursh0es
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2008, 12:57:18 PM »

5.4, that's pretty intense. How long did the earthquake last?

Growing up in San Francisco, I've experienced my fair share of earthquakes. From small tremors to the huge one back in 1989. I remember the exact date and time too: October 5, 5:04pm. This was because I was hiding underneath our family room coffee table and the only thing in plain sight from that position was the VCR time clock, so I was staring at that while hearing things crash and fall the whole 15 or 20 seconds that it lasted. Definitely one of the scariest experiences of my life.

Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2008, 01:01:04 PM »

Quote from: "sandiny0ursh0es"
5.4, that's pretty intense. How long did the earthquake last?

Growing up in San Francisco, I've experienced my fair share of earthquakes. From small tremors to the huge one back in 1989. I remember the exact date and time too: October 5, 5:04pm. This was because I was hiding underneath our family room coffee table and the only thing in plain sight from that position was the VCR time clock, so I was staring at that while hearing things crash and fall the whole 15 or 20 seconds that it lasted. Definitely one of the scariest experiences of my life.

I don't know how long it lasted because I was asleep when it happened and got woke up in the middle of it. My entire family was asleep. I figured someone on here would be from San Fran though because I thought about how often they have earthquakes over there. This was the first one I have ever experienced.

Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2008, 01:56:10 PM »

Quote from: "Daggerstrike"
Wow, glad you guys are ok. I drove through Indiana a couple days ago, glad it didn't hit then. I would have freaked out, hehe.

Oh dont worrry man, every few years or so Seattle will have one...usually small, but from time to time......

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
jphussey

hussman12
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2008, 02:04:21 PM »

It was about 20 seconds long and centered in southern Illinois.

JP
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2008, 02:05:16 PM »

Ah, so it was a pretty big range of states affected...

GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2008, 03:23:38 PM »

Apparently, I slept right through it. I get to the office this morning and everyones talking about feeling the rumbles and such. I was all ZZZs.
I live in the SW burbs of Chicago. Sounds like it was felt as far north as southern Wisconsin. Crazy. I haven't heard about a whole lot of damage or anything, so thats good.

Playing:
Reading: Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson
Kstar
Editor Emeritus

I Remember Everything

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2008, 04:34:26 PM »

Yeah i live in the NW burbs of Illinois...I definitely felt my bed shaking, but I assumed I was dreaming the whole thing that's how out of it I was.  It somehow made it's way into my dream haha, anyway I woke up and my dad told me there was an earthquake and I said he had to be kidding, I thought that all was a dream haha.

"We're all lying in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars" -Oscar Wilde

"To be a star, you must shine your own light, follow your own path, and don't worry about the darkness, for that is when the stars shine brightest."
Willy Elektrix
Lord of the Sword

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2008, 07:48:03 PM »

Quote from: "GrimReality"
I live in the SW burbs of Chicago. Sounds like it was felt as far north as southern Wisconsin. Crazy. I haven't heard about a whole lot of damage or anything, so thats good.

I live in Chicago (in the city itself). This is all they were talking about on the news this morning. There was no damage done to anything (zero). Then everyone at work was talking about it like, "Oh man! It woke the dog up!". Slow news day.
Extwin

imlzeronx
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2008, 01:11:21 AM »

Well, I'm glad everyone is okay. I live in PA, so this is the first I've heard of it. You generally don't think of the midwest as a big earthquake hotspot... guess there is tectonic activity all over th earth :/

Mostly lurks, with good reason
Obviously, I'm a genius...The Darkrider said so
Me: So, Mom, where are you going in the U.K.?
Mom: Ware
Me: Yeah, where?
Mom: No, Ware.... W-A-R-E
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: