Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 26, 2014, 05:18:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338404 Posts in 13853 Topics by 2215 Members
Latest Member: RPGtourguide
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Breaking the Language Barrier
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Breaking the Language Barrier  (Read 800 times)
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« on: April 18, 2008, 11:57:27 AM »

http://ds.ign.com/articles/867/867278p1.html

An interesting read for sure.

Bloodstar6078

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2008, 01:41:31 AM »

Localisation has gotten much better in recent years and it hasn't gone unnoticed. This was definately an interesting read.

Although there are two things I take issue with. One is that I'm fine with Japanese voice acting and English subtitles. Although I've studied Japanese and other people might not agree so I can deal with waiting. At the very least give the player the option of listening to the orignal Japanese. This is one thing that is currently bugging me in FFXII.

The other thing that bothers me is also about FFXII. I don't see why they needrd to use more complicated Japanese or English. It's like a novelty... it's not really needed and any enjoyment vanishes relatively quickly. Instead all it does is annoys me and makes me wonder why the fuck they don't just talk normal. It's not like it's going to change the story or that a characters personality won't come through otherwise.
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2008, 04:45:23 AM »

I have nothing but respect for the team that localizes Square Enix games. In the last 5 years they've almost never failed to please me, *even though* they don't have the dual-language policy that Atlus and NIS America almost unequivocally uphold.

Very good article, IMO. I'm not a big IGN fan, but this article was good.

Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2008, 11:41:14 AM »

Quote from: "Ramza"
I have nothing but respect for the team that localizes Square Enix games. In the last 5 years they've almost never failed to please me, *even though* they don't have the dual-language policy that Atlus and NIS America almost unequivocally uphold.

Very good article, IMO. I'm not a big IGN fan, but this article was good.

Same here. They haven't disappointed me in awhile. FFT for PSP and FFXII I think are two of the best localisations I have seen. I'm not big on having Jap dialogue or text (I could care less really) so Square Enix not doing that never bothers me.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: