Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 21, 2014, 12:43:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319297 Posts in 13036 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  The World Ends with You
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print
Author Topic: The World Ends with You  (Read 9996 times)
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« on: April 20, 2008, 02:25:17 PM »

One of those rare cases where I like the overseas name better than the original Japanese one

I got hold of a European copy, and while its a bit tough to get adjusted to this game, it is absolutely amazing.
My favorite aspect has to be how there is not other game like it.

The good: Battle system, brand clothing system, character interactions, great graphics, the music

The bad: Controlling two characters at once can be nerve wracking; and personally, not a user friendly game

The ugly: The instructions; I'm still confused about a lot

Ah well, who else is picking this one up?

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2008, 02:28:16 PM »

I'll be picking it up Wednesday when it is out in the states.

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2008, 03:19:42 PM »

It was either this or FES and I think I'm getting this. I guess I'll do my own Blondie, Angel Eyes and Tuco list when we get down to brass tacks after I get down to C&C Games to buy the thing.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2008, 04:10:03 PM »

Quote from: "MeshGearFox"
It was either this or FES and I think I'm getting this. I guess I'll do my own Blondie, Angel Eyes and Tuco list when we get down to brass tacks after I get down to C&C Games to buy the thing.

I'm getting this and FES on Wed lol.

Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2008, 04:30:13 PM »

I'm really itchin' to play this game. I guess the only thing that worries me is the music. By the visuals, I could imagine it being a lot of hip-hop and techno, and (as with Persona 3) those kinds of music can completely destroy my enjoyment of a game.

What are we talking about here?

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2008, 04:43:03 PM »

mute button lol

o/` I do not dream o/`

Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2008, 05:23:47 PM »

http://www.rpgfan.com/soundtracks/subarashiki/index.html

Yeah, we're talking Persona 3 music gone horribly wrong.  

The whole idea of the stylus plus D-pad controlling two characters reminds me a bit of how things happened in Ontamarama.

I have this one and FES preordered.  I've been quite jaded on JRPGs of late and this one seems fresh.

I approve of this nonsense!
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2008, 05:32:26 PM »

Actually IGN gave the game a 9.0/10 and said they loved the music, and 1up gave it an A- and said they really liked the music as well.

Der Jermeister

G'day, sport!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2008, 06:45:09 PM »

This is one of those games I just have a *really* bad feeling about. I know it's gotten stellar reviews, but based on the description of the gameplay, I don't think I'd like it. I've seen gameplay videos and am not particularly fond of what I've heard of the music, or the voice acting, for that matter. I think I'll pass.

Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2008, 06:49:54 PM »

Music works better in game (usually the case I find).
It can grow a bit tiresome when each time you get to a new area or out of your status/cell-phone menu the song restarts and chooses one of 4-ish songs.
However, it is really cool, and suits the environment.

Voices are rarely heard and are more done for in-battles, certain events, and a legend of Zelda style one-word (or grunt) to match the topic.
"woah!" "Haha" type of things.

The voice acting is good otherwise (I can only place the main chick, she sounds like ToS's Collette).

Battles are extremely hectic and take some getting use to (even as a girl I'm having trouble multi tasking this shit).
Nevertheless, the game really takes you into its own world and its own rules.

salinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2008, 08:15:45 PM »

i gonna pick the game up for sure. it long time since i was this exciting about jrpg. the gameplay sounds quite fun, the story sound more relevant to me than most jrpg  i hope that the read minds option

give us really to hear the mind of the pepoles and not the "we have the biggest mol in the world!" banal bullshit that the npc is know for saying.

i only hope it longer than what i think it is. something inside tell me, i will finish the game two days after buying it.
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2008, 02:55:03 PM »

Quote from: "Dincrest"
http://www.rpgfan.com/soundtracks/subarashiki/index.html

Yeah, we're talking Persona 3 music gone horribly wrong.

OUCH!

Maybe I'll pass on this game after all. I stopped playing Persona 3 almost entirely because of its terrible music, and this one looks to be far worse. I can't stand J-Pop or Hiphop (american or otherwise). For one thing, I like music that feels like its written for the game... not simply tacked on because the designers thought it might be "cool" to bring in some outside artist. Music should be composed, not found. The one soul exception being Jonny Greenwood's soundtrack for There Will Be Blood, quite a bit of which was taken from one of his earlier string pieces... and that's a huge exception.

To sum up: I hate poppy hip-hop (some of my friends back in conservatory used to write some pretty out-there hiphop, but that's almost a different genre entirely), I hate j-pop. Hell, I pretty much dislike pop in general, although the Brits turned out some pretty decent stuff back in the 70s and 80s. And I certainly don't like it artificially pasted into games.

Even if the pop is written for the game (and most of the time I really question how much the artist really had any idea of what the game was when they wrote the tune), I usually don't like it. I tend to prefer more composed work, film soundtracks, and synth stuff if there's a lot of thought behind it and isn't repeatative.

Yes, I'm an elitist snob... so sue me.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2008, 05:49:00 PM »

Persona 3's music was composed for the game and being set in a Japanese highschool island, J-Pop was probably the most appropriate sort of thing they could use.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2008, 06:17:24 PM »

Just wanted to jump in and say something.

Yes, it seems everyone thinks the music in WEWY is awesome. Yet I thought it was horrendous. Most on this thread have assumed it's because the music "works" well in-game. I think that's a big part of it.

The other part, though, is that compared to other DS games (which use a sequencer that I find to be simply horrid...), all of this music is taken from actual recordings and then pumped out of the DS speaker. No in-game synths of which to speak, really. So, that makes it REALLY impressive, especially compared to virtually every other DS game out there.

It's sort of like Jet Set/Grind Radio ... in-game it feels totally awesome, but it's harder to swallow as a stand-alone album (though I will say I prefer the Jet Set/Grind Radio OSTs to the Subarashiki no Sekai OST by a mile or two.)

Ramza

Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2008, 07:09:23 PM »

Quote from: "MeshGearFox"
Persona 3's music was composed for the game and being set in a Japanese highschool island, J-Pop was probably the most appropriate sort of thing they could use.

Good point.  Maybe not OST put-on-my-iPod material, but it gets its own medal for really suiting the environment.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: