Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 01, 2014, 03:38:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
330095 Posts in 13528 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  The World Ends with You
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print
Author Topic: The World Ends with You  (Read 10184 times)
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2008, 11:14:07 PM »

Well I mean, that theme that plays in the malls/throughout town. It's sort of like the equivalent of hearing smooth jazz when you walk through a grocery store. It's sort of annoying, a little peculiar, and definitely sort of repetitive too.

But if you started hearing Paranoid Android or Stravinksky's Rites of Spring instead of, say, Baker Street, it'd just *feel* wrong.

And in that same vein, a big part of highschool is listening to whatever crap all of your friends insist on playing on the radio. I don't know. I can't describe it. Sometimes you have to sacrifice beauty for accuracy.

It's also worth noting that that j-pop and hip-hop in P3 aren't exactly j-pop and hip-hop. It's more like j-pop and hip-hop-esque music that was created by someone that's only had vague descriptions of said genres to go off of.

I actually really liked the school theme though. It had the flavor of a zeitgeist and the weight of a snow-covered atrium.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Der Jermeister

The Angry Videogame Fur

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2008, 12:29:18 PM »

A good soundtrack, in my opinion, should both be good and fit the milieu of a game. For instance, I really couldn't stand Radiata Stories' jazz soundtrack since it seemed *really* out of place in a fantasy setting.

Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2008, 04:30:34 PM »

I'm not sure I agree that a great soundtrack must fit the situation, or be semi-diagetic (diagetic music is music that's actually in the scene with the characters, like a radio in the background or a rock concert). I've heard some amazing soundtracks that didn't fit the period or the culture being portrayed at all, but very much solidified the underlying tone.

There Will Be Blood has one of my favorite soundtracks ever. A typical film composer would have probably used lots of banjo and fiddle music, seeing as though the movie takes place in turn-of-the-century wild-west rural California. Instead, the music is more remincient of 1970s atonal string music, ala Penderecki, mixed with a few african rythms, some Ravel-influenced piano lines, and a hint of Radiohead (since it was composed by Radiohead guitarist Jonny Greenwood).

I think that the fact that the music was removed from the period of the movie helped, because it meant that the movie became greater than just a film about early 20th century california. It brought forward more of the universal themes and messages.

Similarly, I think Persona 3 suffered because it was attempting to portray some universal themes, but you could never shake the fact that it was tied to 2000s Tokyo high school, and it lost some of its universality. A good work is able to be understood no matter what period its being viewed. 20 years from now, Persona 3 will feel arcaic and dated. Heck, even now it feels a little off-putting to someone who, like me, has very removed taste from the mainstream. I just feel like it really cheapened the experience by having only music that was directly tied to the period/locale.

PS: just for the record, during HS, I didn't feel compelled, in the slightest, to listen to music that everyone else was listening to. In the mid 90s, I was listening to Miles Davis, John Adams, Ravel, and later, Dream Theater and Rush. Many of my friends were the same way. I think its a bit of a myth that HS students are all pining to listen to the same kinds of music. That's not what I observed at all.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Jet16

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2008, 05:14:11 PM »

As much as I detest Rap and Pop I understood why they were chosen to be put into Persona 3. And for that, I took away all biased I had against the genres and just enjoyed it for what it was. It made listening to the music a lot easier, and, unlike Prime Mover, I never really felt removed from the game. The music didn't necessarily enhance the experience of the game, only a few pieces successfully did that.
ShadowLaguna

Rattle your goddamn head!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2008, 06:01:02 PM »

Once I have enough cash, TWEWY will most certainly be mine!

Wii Number - 1981 9892 1002 5530
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2008, 07:59:35 PM »

PS: just for the record, during HS, I didn't feel compelled, in the slightest, to listen to music that everyone else was listening to.

I'm not saying you WANTED to, but unless you were a complete shut in, you were listening to it anyway. Unless you went to highschool way, way earlier than I did, radios were pretty ubiquitous.

I think there's also an argument that some sort of unifying pop-culture is essential to socializing right even if you hate that pop-culture. Maybe this has something to do with the main character in Persona 3 wearing headphones all the time. Maybe not. Maybe the fact that everyone's able to isolate themselves with relative ease is why people think 9/11 was a government plot. Maybe it's leading to some sort of greater elitism. Maybe this is really just an extension of the solipsism and rumors we saw in Persona 2.

Maybe it's just a stupid videogame and I shan't be analyzing it any longer.

20 years from now, Persona 3 will feel arcaic and dated.

Twenty years from now, every game will feel archaic and dated. And I have a perfect quote about this but I won't use it because the person I'd be quoting probably doesn't want quoted.

Anyway, the big difference between There Will Be Blood and Persona 3 is that TWBB is a movie. The other big difference is that TWBB is about the past and that Persona 3 is about now.

Actually, no. Screw it. Just use the goddamn mute button if it bugs you that much.

o/` I do not dream o/`

death919

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2008, 01:34:52 AM »

It looks really unique and innovative, I definitely gotta pick it up sometime also.  Great review scores all around also, with the recent 9.0 from Gamespot.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2008, 02:27:09 PM »

I beat it! (yeah, I haven't had work, and the friends are busy...plus I rushed it).

Well, the game leaves a lot open in its New Game +.
No Spoilers but if you just wanna save the excitement...
Code:
I can see some people being indifferent about the ending.  

However if you load up your end-game file you start in the final room; with your current stats, and you're able to go replay ANY game event (or "days", as the game divides it) in order to accomplish goals (where since I rushed, I missed like....all of them).  

Completing every goal for every day will open up "Another Day" where all story questions are cleared up.

^FYI

I like it!  Keep me hooked.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
salinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2008, 06:23:53 PM »

Quote from: "Dice"
I beat it! (yeah, I haven't had work, and the friends are busy...plus I rushed it).

Well, the game leaves a lot open in its New Game +.
No Spoilers but if you just wanna save the excitement...
Code:
I can see some people being indifferent about the ending.  

However if you load up your end-game file you start in the final room; with your current stats, and you're able to go replay ANY game event (or "days", as the game divides it) in order to accomplish goals (where since I rushed, I missed like....all of them).  

Completing every goal for every day will open up "Another Day" where all story questions are cleared up.

^FYI

I like it!  Keep me hooked.

errr but you start it not long ago dice, i was right is short game :(((((( at least it sound like it have some replay valve thank's to the the mothers of chrono trigger dirctor and is new game+
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2008, 09:53:57 PM »

It's actually over 60 hours long. Dice really, really just doesn't have a life.

(sorry dice :()

o/` I do not dream o/`

Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2008, 10:29:45 PM »

Quote from: "MeshGearFox"
It's actually over 60 hours long. Dice really, really just doesn't have a life.

(sorry dice :()

60 hours?!  Shit, I think not.

The game has an easy mode, and I haven't NEARLY completed gathering all the shit there is to collect and complete (read my above post).

In my defense, nearly no DS game is 60 hours.
Mesh, watch it, I hope you've played the game.

MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2008, 12:28:07 AM »

I was just joshing you, old bean :(

o/` I do not dream o/`

Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2008, 12:29:02 AM »

Hey, I take offense to that...

Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2008, 12:30:48 AM »

Then sorry.  Long, story, its just that topic pushes my buttons. x(
(+ bad day, boo-urns)

salinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2008, 02:25:23 AM »

Quote from: "Dice"

Then sorry.  Long, story, its just that topic pushes my buttons. x(
(+ bad day, boo-urns)

why bad day :( ? time for tales of dice.

we need an rpg about dice it wil be like "the world ends with you" you can buy her car and things and if you prove to other npc that she indeed have life you get extra exp points for that.

in the final boss you have to face mesh gear fox. in hmm .... mesh gear fox maybe ?  there you need to battle him for the bitter end.

i kidding :-)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: