Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 26, 2014, 05:11:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327454 Posts in 13408 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  The World Ends with You
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print
Author Topic: The World Ends with You  (Read 10103 times)
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2008, 11:22:35 AM »

I snagged this yesterday... I have to say, this is easily the most un-likable main character I have ever seen in a video game.  It's almost as if Pete Wentz or someone like that got transported into this version of Shibuya.

Other than that, it's pretty nifty, though I just popped the top screen onto auto so I don't have to deal with it.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2008, 01:27:54 PM »

Quote from: "KeeperX"
I snagged this yesterday... I have to say, this is easily the most un-likable main character I have ever seen in a video game.  It's almost as if Pete Wentz or someone like that got transported into this version of Shibuya.

Other than that, it's pretty nifty, though I just popped the top screen onto auto so I don't have to deal with it.

I thought so too, but his character development...well, develops for the better. :P

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2008, 02:52:43 PM »

What the hell is a "pete wentz?" I'm guessing either A) A mixed drink. B) Dong piercing of some sort. C) Dead comedian from the age of black and white talkies that we used to seen in nickelodeons as boys before realizing that "this is where I came in" and so we left to become men and fight the hitler.

Anyway I just got this because A) I live in a town where FES will not sell. To anyone. Ever. B) I feel obligated to support the game store near campus before I go home for summer.

---edit---

Random Observation: Music seems to be far more shoegaze than JPop.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Dincrest
Onoda
RPGFan Editor

Lieutenant Commander Vacation

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2008, 05:18:11 PM »

Pete Wentz is the crap-tastic bass player for Fall Out Boy and IMO a total douchebag.  And, yes, I think Fall Out Boy is one of the worst bands ever.

I got my copy today.  I shall be joining the TWEWY ranks now.

I approve of this nonsense!
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2008, 05:31:30 PM »

Quote from: "Dincrest"
Pete Wentz is the crap-tastic bass player for Fall Out Boy and IMO a total douchebag.  And, yes, I think Fall Out Boy is one of the worst bands ever.

I got my copy today.  I shall be joining the TWEWY ranks now.

Sweet! I hate Fall Out Boy as well! Glad to know there are some among us...

Shiguma
The Saviour of Esteria

LordShiguma
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2008, 09:11:04 PM »

I like Fall Out Boy. ;_;

PS. Subarashiki Kono Sekai sucks.

Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2008, 10:30:28 PM »

Quote from: "Shiguma"
I like Fall Out Boy. ;_;

PS. Subarashiki Kono Sekai sucks.

My sentiments on Fall Out Boy.

But I love Subarashiki. =)
(hence the topic)

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2008, 10:41:29 PM »

I ordered the game on Tuesday from Amazon, but I went for free shipping so I have no idea when it'll pop up.
Viggyeld235

blackrosesoth blackrosesoth
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2008, 11:10:52 PM »

Well, I got it through Gamefly and I am glad I rented it.  I lasted up to the second day and got to the cursed statue, did a few bits of cleaning up the critters and really... Just lost interest.

I LOVE the fact that this wasn't really made by SE (Jupiter had a hand in it), as long as they stay the heck out of the way and let other developers do their work for them, I am ok with that.  Once SE starts trying, it gets ugly these days.

The controls blow.  Blow barrels and BARRELS of chimps.  I think this is where I might just be too old for the DS, I would love to have an OPTION of manual/stylus controls but to mix BOTH?  Yeah, I looked like I had an epileptic seizure trying to get the hang of it...

Soundtrack was... eh.  It set the tone, we get it.  It is an urban environ in a strange mystical "game" within a game.  The voice blurts I am used to because of games like Okami and Zack & Wiki.  They fit the game perfectly but then that might be a deterrent for some.

Did anyone else kind of get the feel that this was a THINLY veiled attempt at a stab towards the Persona series?  Groups of people who see demons and have items that unlock special powers that help them overcome incredible odds?  Maybe that is just me, but you have to think with the critical acclaim P3 received and how rabid the fans are, I wonder if this was more of a test of that market to get some share of that love...

All in all, it is being returned.  Someone else can have some fun with it, I will wait for DQ9 for my DS, thank you.

Castlevania Wii = 3D Fighter?!  Whosahubbajiggawha?
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2008, 11:32:35 PM »

? the game doesn't really start till after the second day, it seems. And if you only played till the second day, you... only played it for about an hour? You didn't even get past the tutorial.

Which brings me to my biggest concern right now, actually. Unless days start getting longer or a lot less linear, the 15 hour playtime estimate is going to be way, way, *way* on the overly generous side.

I don't have a problem with the controls. Well, not Neku's at least. You don't need to move around in battle too much so far. I do have trouble getting lightning bolts to fire consistently.

I don't really see how I'm supposed to control both characters at once, though, unless you just memorize the partner's combos and kind of enter them mechanically. I'm assuming the strategy behind that opens up later. Right now, I only have three combos and they don't seem that different.

---edit---

Okay, there's something up with the in game clock. It say I's played for about 5 hours. This doesn't work.

A) Played the game from 3:30 to 5ish, maybe
B) Walked across town at... 5? or 4:30 to get ice cream.
C) Got back at about seven.
D) DEFINITELY did not play past nine.

So that's, tops, 3hr30mi total. WTF?

---edit2---

NM, I'm a fucktard. That's hours since you last played the game.

Anyway, apparently the gameplay consists of seven days with each partner. Not seven days total.

Thanks for not making that obvious MR. GAMEBOX. also stabbing that thing for retarded rap lyrics on the back.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2008, 07:42:05 PM »

Well, the game arrived today. I liked what I've played and I think the music's pretty great. Neku's pretty obnoxious though.
Dincrest
Onoda
RPGFan Editor

Lieutenant Commander Vacation

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2008, 08:08:46 PM »

Neku does become more bearable, but he is an ass initially.  Still, it's not uncommon for SE to have cold fish misanthropic wangsty teens like Squall in their RPGs because then the slightest bit of humanistic growth for them becomes dramatic.  Shiki and Beat are a little annoying too.  Rhyme's cool so far.  

For me, it was the battle system that took some getting used to.  Now I'm tossing cars all over the screen to kill masses of monsters.

I approve of this nonsense!
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2008, 08:36:54 PM »

Yeah, that doesn't surprise me. Parish's review noted that at the end, and it's kind of to be expected from any anime or RPG that does this kind of thing. The battle system is a pain to adjust to though, I can't imagine it being naturally intuitive from the get go for anyone.
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: May 01, 2008, 01:00:41 AM »

I still haven't gotten a grip on handling the upper screen, honestly, but I think the lower screen stuff's a blast, especially if you're trying to get insane combos.

Also I think this is one of the few games where I enjoy grinding, for a few reasons.

A) Very tangible benefits. New clothes and pins and food everywhere, so you're only grinding for stuff and not to get past a certain goal (Well, the red shirt guys, sort of, but that's different for reasons below).
B) Grinding never actually TAKES long, really.
C) You're in control of the reward. You can drop your level and have to play more skillfully, but in return, you get better swag.
D) That battle system's entirely active and quite fun and rather River City Ransomish, sort of.

In some regards, it IS sort of Square ripping off SMT/Persona. In other regards, is this actually a bad thing?

Also it has a bear with tattoos for arms.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: May 01, 2008, 01:15:58 AM »

Thats one thing I really respected.  

Despite the chaos of some battles, you're pretty much in control of nearly anything (except the enemies).  Furthermore, there are multiple difficulties and methods of added (or subtracting) challenge to battles.

You're gonna have to learn your pins and the enemy... you're gonna need to use that top screen later.

...Joshua owns.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: